Fred's Breakfast Bar

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Fred's Breakfast Bar

Post by iggie »

Your perils and pitfalls are being duly noted and filed away for reverence in the future Fred; your prior warning will be most useful when I get around to my attempt on this kit
Meantime your build is still coming along brilliantly!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

iggie wrote:Your perils and pitfalls are being duly noted and filed away for reverence in the future Fred; your prior warning will be most useful when I get around to my attempt on this kit
Meantime your build is still coming along brilliantly!
Thanks Iggie! I'm glad if this is useful for you.

I'm reminded of the saying "If you can't be a good example, then maybe you can serve as a terrible warning" ;-)

P.S. The bottom of the fuselage which caused the grief is part #34. When you install it, make sure it's pressed all the way up until it closes the gap at the wing root. Again, I don't think there's really anything wrong with the fit of the kit. I was just careless.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Marvelous progress, in spite of the perils!

Cheers,

David
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Looks great Fred. I am not sure what panel you mean but if it was messy, it looks fine now. Decals too.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Marvellous work, Fred, I think you have met the challenges that the kit has thrown up very well. In the past, I've used a sharp sewing needle to gently prick silvered decals before adding more Microscale setting solution - doesn't always work 100% especially on larger decals but I have found the method at least results in some improvement and is generally more successful on smaller stuff such as stencils.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thanks, all!

ShaunW, I used a hobby knife to make small slits, then added the Microscale. As you say, it didn't work 100%, but it did help! I agree that the problem is more noticeable on the larger decals.

I'm moving on to the floats now, and I thought it might be cool to have a dirty line where the surface of the water touches the float. That's probably not very realistic, as I doubt the ship-mounted planes spent much time in the water, but I'd like to give it a try.

I thought of doing it by partially submerging the floats in a tub of water which is covered by a thin film of paint. I tested the idea by painting a plastic scrap the same colour as the plane (dunkelgrun and schwarzgrun), then dunking it in water covered with a layer of odourless thinner and sludgy brown artist's oil paint. The paint and thinner floated nicely on the water, but it didn't produce the line I was hoping for. Instead, it just made a smear. In fact, the paint adhered better to the lower part which was in the water, I guess because the layer of thinner kept the paint from sticking. I'll try a couple of variations on this, but if it doesn't work, I'll cheerfully give it up and leave the floats with a basic paint job!

PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Interesting idea Fred. This one might be best done with masking and an airbrush then some washes which I have seen you do to great effect.

I wonder if you used different colours would you get that 70's tye dye tee shirt effect?

:-D
Paul

Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Hi Paul! Yeah, I think you're right about airbrushing the line. The charm of the dunking idea is that it would automatically give you a straight line which follows the contours of the float. Or maybe I'll try your tie dye idea! :)

Got the floats primed and partly assembled. The instructions call for 30g of weight in the front end of each float, which used up my entire stock of fishing sinkers! I don't know if even this will be adequate, as the fuselage is already tail-heavy, and it will only get worse when I install the wings, which will be folded back. The sinkers were drizzled with white glue to stop them rattling around.
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

That is going to be one heavy kit! I usually put together most of a plane with tape to check the balance. I put a ton of weight in the nose of a T-24 mentor I once built instead of trying to balance it and it just felt weird in the hand. Always nose heavy. Not that I play with them after building! :-D
Paul

Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Good day all!

Paul, you're right about this being a heavy kit. I probably could have done away with the weights altogether, since I intend to mount this on a catapult once it's done. Still, I was afraid of it tipping backwards, so I figured I'd use the weights. Looking back, this may have been a mistake, since the entire airplane will sit on the back end of the catapult, so any weight I add will tip the whole thing out of balance even more (see boxtop photo). Anyway, what's done is done, as I've already glued the tops on the floats. :roll:
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

When I painted the fuselage, I found there were spots where the paint didn't adhere very well, so I primed the floats with ordinary automotive primer from a rattle can before painting them. Then I pre-shaded by airbrushing some flat black. This looked awful when it was done, as I'm not very good at this, and also because my airbrush spattered pretty badly.

Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

With the pre-shading done, it was time for the base colours: Hellblau on the underside, with Dunkelgrun and Schwarzgrun on the upper side. Fortunately this mostly hid my clumsy work on the pre-shading. Then a gloss coat, decals, and another gloss coat. I think the red stripes at the front are to warn crews about the proximity of the propeller. Not sure about the ones at the back. Something to do with the catapult maybe?

Incidentally, as I handled the floats, I heard a couple of the fishing sinkers rattling around inside. Should have used more glue!
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Some more progress on the floats. A layer of Testor's Dullcote to protect the decals, then some weathering with artist's oils, then more Dullcote. I assume the floats on the real plane were made of aluminium, so I didn't try any rust effects. Worn, bare metal was simulated with a graphite pencil.

I'm happy with the result overall, but a couple of things bug me. For one, I think the stripiness of the panel lines looks overdone (because of the pre-shade, the wash, insufficient base coat, or some combination of all?), and secondly the decals look too bright compared to the weathered surface of the float. Maybe I can try another wash over the decals to dull them down a bit.

Despite the lacklustre result of the earlier experiment, I may try the dirty water line look on the float to see what I get. In any case, the effect is pretty subtle, so I don't think it could go too badly wrong. Famous last words? :)

iggie

Post by iggie »

The floats look pretty darn good to me Fred!
I've used Tamiya Smoke over decals to tone them down before, it seems to cover a little better than plain washes
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thanks, Iggie! I'll try it!

Return to “Workbench Window”