Fred's Breakfast Bar

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Re: Fred's Breakfast Bar

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thank you very much Iggie, TobyC, and ShaunW!

Pressing ahead . . .

For s**ts and grins, I tried plopping the upper hull and turret onto the lower hull to get a sense of how it will look. This is the first kit I built which has working torsion bar suspension, and I have to say I don't care for it. The torsion bars are very flimsy, so the road wheels constantly moved around while I was trying to adjust the track. Once I had the track in place, I (foolishly) set the hull down right-side-up and failed to notice how much the suspension sagged under the weight. This left slack in the track, and it lifted away from the drive sprocket and idler. Bah. By the time I noticed, the track had set, and I didn't want to break it up and build it again. Looking at this photo, the whole thing looks too squat to me, but it matches the artwork on the box, so maybe it's OK. Anyhow, it's a "paper panzer", so who can say? I will mention that I had to trim some of the cleats to get the track to fit under the rear fender, so I really do think it's sitting too low. When I do the right side, I think I'll glue the suspension in position, but I'm now "locked in" to make it the same as the left side.

I do see the charm in having poseable suspension if you're building a diorama, but I prefer when manufacturers build a key into the suspension arm, with a matching hole in the hull (or vice versa). That way, it's easy to keep the suspension nice and straight, and at the right height. If you want to pose it otherwise, all you have to do is to snip off the key, and glue the arm in the desired position. I can't see any advantage to workable suspension unless you're building a motorized model.

Anyway, end of rant. Have a great weekend, everybody!
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by mjatx »

Excellent work. That's looking very nice.
Marek

Post by Marek »

Your Paper Panzer looks pretty good to me. Nice project!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Brilliantly finished. Looks just like it just rolled off a battlefield.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Hello all! Thank you for the kind comments!

I've been busy after the holidays, so progress on modelling projects has been slow . . . :sad:

Got the running gear done on both sides, and added the episcopes, engine grilles, driver's vision hatch, some stowage, and braces for the fenders. I think those wide fenders call for plenty of stowage, so I may add some more from the spares box. I'm also thinking of adding some jury-rigged skirts, though they're not part of the kit.

Somewhere along the way I managed to lose a headlight, and a tow pintle! Aaargh!

mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Great job on the Stug. Really like the weathering.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Superb finish on that!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Marek

Post by Marek »

Welcome back and Happy New Year! :)
celt

Post by celt »

Nice work on an unusual AFV,well tidy.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thank you all! And to Marek, a very happy New Year to you too (a bit late on my part)!

I'm adding more stowage, some from the kit and some from the spares box. I'm still shuffling things around to see what looks good. The camouflage net is painted gauze, and the tarp is metal foil. The wooden beams at the front are a block of balsa which was scored with a razor saw, then painted with artist's oils. The spare tracks and wheels are leftovers from the same kit. I'm still thinking of adding skirts, made of either metal or styrene.

I don't usually like doing stowage, but I find I'm enjoying this. It makes me want to go back and add some to my "completed" models!

Have a great weekend!

Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Looks like it's travelling backwards ;) Great work on the model.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Ha! It does! Yes, a very unusual design. More like an artillery piece than a tank.

Thanks for the kind comment!
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Hey Fred,
Man that tank looks great. I really like the wood beams on the front. All the stowage added brings it to life. And as I said before, great weathering!
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Wow!
That is a mean-looking beast, well-finished!

cheers,

David
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Good day all!

Still not quite finished the Loewe, but at the urging of a nameless fellow member (thank you, Paul!) I'm going to start an airplane for the first time in years!

I've chosen the 1:32 scale Trumpeter MiG-3. I always liked the sleek, racy look of the MiG-3, so I was thrilled when Trumpeter came out with this kit in my favourite scale. At first glance it seems to be a nice kit, and with no engine or other internal detail aside from the cockpit it should be a quick, straightforward build.

I plan to paint the model in the white and blue scheme you see on the box art. As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the outer wings and rear fuselage of the MiG were made of plywood, or at least covered with it. I'd like to show the paint flaking off the wood in places, so I'm looking for a way to simulate wood grain. I had hoped to buy some wood grain decals, but our local hobby shop doesn't stock them. The helpful gent at the shop offered to order an etched metal template with a grainy pattern on it, which allows you to paint the pattern with an airbrush. He assured me it works well, and it has the advantage over decals in that it can be used over again. He did point out that it's important to clean the template thoroughly with thinner after every use to prevent the fine holes from getting clogged. Has anybody tried this method? Any impressions?

Return to “Workbench Window”