Fred's Breakfast Bar

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Fred's Breakfast Bar

Post by ShaunW »

That is a very handy selection of items from the arts and craft store Fred. Shops like that can be very useful and it's often worth a look at their stock, products such as those are often much cheaper than items deliberately aimed at the modelling market but can be made to do the job just as well.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by skypirate »

Outstanding weathering on that Marder!
And thanks for the tips on the various craft materials.

cheers,

David
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

Great idea on the reflectors / lights, thanks for sharing.
George B.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thank you all! I'm very happy if these tips are useful!

I'm both excited and terrified by the project I just started. It's Revell's 1:32 Arado 196 and (thanks to my ever-generous wife) its accompanying shipborne catapult by HPH models! I originally intended to enter this in an upcoming model show, but given that the show is in one week and I've barely started the cockpit, I've given up on that plan. Feeling cowardly now, but it's nice to have the pressure off.

This is a pretty big undertaking, and the HPH catapult is made almost entirely of resin, with which I'm not very familiar. I'll post photos of the "progress". Please wish me luck!

Have a great weekend!

PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Fantastic work on the Marder. I really like to idea for your reflectors. Keep the ideas coming. I am not that creative at thinking outside the box like you.

Nice to see the Arado on the table. Looking forward to the progress picks. I do wish you luck on it but having known you for 25 years and seeing your work, I know it will turn out great Fred. You have those skills! :grin:
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I'm looking forward very much to seeing you build the Arado; I ordered one on Friday!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh man, I've seen that the combination of that big Revell Arado and HPH catapult can be made into an awesome combination Fred. Personally I have no experience of using resin save for small accessories. Best of luck with it, take your time and I'm sure you'll produce a great looking model!

IPMS#12300
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Paul, thanks for your kind comments about the Marder. I'm glad you dared me to do a plane next, so we'll see how things go!

Iggie, I think you'll like the Arado kit. I'm enjoying it very much so far!

Shaun, I've seen some photos of the plane and catapult too, and it makes an impressive combination. I've got my fingers crossed. Like you, I've only done small bits in resin, so this will be a major leap for me!

Anyhow, forged ahead with the Arado. I think Revell did a very nice job on this. I was worried about the spindly frame, but everything fits very positively, and it builds into a nice solid cage. No problems so far, except that some of the parts are so finely moulded that I broke them just by cutting them off the sprue! In fact, you may notice that half the control yoke is missing. I found the remaining bit, and I intend to glue it back on. Probably won't look great, but what can you do?

The frame was painted with a combination of Tamiya and ModelMaster paints. I wanted the floor to look worn, so I painted it a metallic colour, then coated it with hairspray, then painted the olive colour over it using ModelMaster acryl. If anything, the ModelMaster paint worked too well, and was very difficult to chip off. Nice to know it adheres so well, but ironically that's not what I wanted in this case! In the end, the floor came out looking more spotty than worn. Oh well! :)

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

What a great start Fred, Revell provides a very impressive looking interior straight from the box and well painted like that it really looks the part.

IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Stunning! That is a work of art Fred and no mistake!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Looking fabulous!
Don't cover it up!

cheers,

David
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Awesome work on that interior.
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Fantastic Fred. I really like the way you get the worn look to the paint. Subtle yet effective.Almost a shame it will be inside the model. Is the paint sticky after using the hairspray technique or is it nice and dry? :grin:
Paul

Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thanks all!

Shaun W, as you say, Revell's done a very nice job on this one. Really enjoying this kit!

SkyPirate, I know what you mean. It's always a little heartbreaking to cover up your work. In this case though, the aircraft has a very large canopy, and Revell gives you the option of posing it open, so it's not so bad!

Paul, the hairspray isn't sticky at all. It just takes a couple of minutes to dry, then you can paint over it just like painting clean plastic. I guess this makes sense, as nobody wants sticky hair! :)

Forging ahead . . . I painted the insides of the fuselage halves and tried test-fitting the cockpit. No fit problems at all, which is a relief! However, I think the inside surface of the fuselage looks too smooth and featureless. Surely since this is a fabric-covered aircraft, there should be some ribs there? :sad: I think I'll try to make some out of U-channel styrene. I wouldn't fuss about this except, as mentioned before, this plane gives you a pretty clear view of the interior.
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Would a wash help break up the sides a bit? It is looking good either way Fred. :grin:
Paul

Return to “Workbench Window”