Fred's Breakfast Bar

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Re: Fred's Breakfast Bar

Post by Canuck2016 »

Hi Paul! Yes, a wash would help. I did end up using some artist's oil to break up the monotone interior, but first I glued in some 1.5 mm U-channel styrene strips, painted the whole interior black to make an artificial shadow, then airbrushed the interior colour at a downward angle. I don't know how accurate this is (I couldn't find any good reference photos), but it is closer to the look I was after.

The last photo shows the fuselage halves finally joined together! Again, this has proven to be a very well-engineered kit so far, and everything fit without any trouble. Kudos to Revell! :)

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Really great work Fred. The cockpit looks nice and busy and the additional U channel strip adds depth very nicely.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Yep; that channel makes a huge difference!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thanks, gents!

I've been looking ahead in the instructions. I intend to build this kit with the wings folded, and given the position of the wings and braces, I think it would be very difficult to paint, decal and weather it all after assembly. So I think I'll paint and weather each sub-assembly (fuselage, floats and wings) then slap them together at the end. We'll see how it goes!

Having a beautiful spring weekend here, and I hope the same for all of you! :)
iggie

Post by iggie »

We've had a glorious weekend here; 18 degrees yesterday and 22 today, wall to wall sunshine both days :-D :-D :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Glad to hear the weather's been kind, Iggie! Still unseasonably cold here. :sad:

Got to work on the wings. First, some pre-shading on the panels lines and outside edges. Looks awful! I'm not very good at this! :oops:

Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Then the camouflage. I used ModelMaster acrylics for this. Lichtblau on the underside, and I used the recommended blend of colours in the instructions for the upper surface, though I did add a few drops of buff in an effort to give it a faded look. I airbrushed the green shades along the panel lines first, then misted them over the entire wing, again to give a faded appearance. I did the same thing with the fabric-covered sections, painting the sunken areas first to make an artificial shadow. The dirt in the flap well is heavily thinned dark brown artist's oil paint sprayed with an airbrush.

Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

A coat of Testor's Glosscote, then decals, more Glosscote, then a wash of dark brown artist's oil in the panel lines. Honestly, I think I overdid this, and the lines look too stark. Maybe I'm too used to doing armour models, where the weathering can be more heavy-handed! On the plus side, Revell's decals performed very well with some Microsol, and settled beautifully around the surface detail (see the left side of the Balkenkreuz on the underside) although I did panic briefly as they wrinkled horribly for several minutes!

I tried spraying the fabric-covered sections with Dullcote to give them less sheen than the metal surfaces. It didn't seem to make much difference. I may try another coat to see how it looks.

I'd also like to point out that my love affair with this kit continues. Everything fits very well, and the detail looks good. If I were to make a minor quibble, the trailing edges of the control surfaces look a little thick, and since they have fabric detail on them, I'm too cowardly to sand them down as I'm afraid of ruining them. Another slight source of frustration is the numbering of the parts on the sprues, which follows no logic I can see. A great deal of my time has been spent hunting for smaller parts. To their credit, Revell included a sprue map in the instructions, but with the numbering all willy-nilly, it's still hard to find what you're looking for! :frown: No matter, still a very enjoyable kit so far!

iggie

Post by iggie »

Awesome work Fred; the pre-shading and panel lines are spot on!

Weather has now deteriorated over here; dry in the main but cold for the time of year. Wintry showers forexast for next week! :-D
Best wishes

Jim
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy mun.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Wow, so good!!!

If you want a dead flat for the fabric areas try diluting White glue in water, add a drop of dish soap and spray that.

Flatter than a day old beer.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thanks all!

Softscience, I've never heard that one before! I'll try it!
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

You sir, are a master.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thank you, all! Too kind! :)

This kit also marks my first attempt at using a riveting tool. The kit comes with recessed panel lines but no rivets, so I tried to dress it up using the Trumpeter riveting tool guided by a steel ruler. It worked out OK, but the effect is very subtle (read practically invisible), so maybe I should press harder next time. As you can see, I had to blow up the photo considerably to make the "rivets" visible at all.

I hope it's OK to post links to other people's sites, but here's some info about Trumpeter's riveter. I agree with the author that, with a steel wheel turning on a plastic axle, the axle may not last very long. Click on the link within the article for some excellent advice on making home-made riveters!

http://www.ratomodeling.com/reviews/tru ... ivetmaker/;

Cheers, and have a great weekend!

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is a masterclass Fred, beautiful work!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”