Fred's Breakfast Bar

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Re: Fred's Breakfast Bar

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thanks, Shaun! Yes, I find this is an easy way to get that reflective, glassy look.

Good day, all. Pressing ahead with the Marder, I tried a new way to render the circular red reflectors on the rear mud flaps. Instead of painting, I punched some circles from a roll of reflective tape and stuck them on. They look appropriately shiny, and best of all, they're self-adhesive, so there's no worry about getting gobs of glue on the tiny circles! I also went back and gave the same treatment to a previously "completed" Revell Leopard 2.

Granted, having working reflectors on a model is pointless and a little gimmicky, but hey, you might as well have some fun when you can! I just spent a few minutes shining a flashlight on the back of the Leopard in a dark room. Makes me feel like a kid again! :)

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Great idea. I have been using silver paint with Tamiya clear color on top. Will be trying this.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

That works a treat!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Marek

Post by Marek »

I need to check that technique with the tape. Is it reflective only or also fluorescent?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nothing wrong with working reflectors Fred, especially when they look that good and why not have some fun with them? it stops the modelling becoming too serious! You have found a great way to obtain neat and tidy circular reflectors, I've hand painted them in the past but they don't look as good as yours!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thanks, all!

Shaun, I agree! Might as well have fun while you're at it! :)

Marek, this tape is reflective, but not fluorescent. The only fluorescent tape I've seen is a greenish-yellow colour. Could be good for doing the slime lights on a modern aircraft, come to think of it!
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's a great tip Fred!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thank you, all! Rest assured, if there's a lazy way to do something, I will find it! :)

Anyway, finally finished the Marder. Like the Panther earlier, this is an older kit by Tamiya, but it still goes together very nicely. The kit comes with a decent engine, but I didn't bother with it, and will just leave the engine hatch shut. There is no other interior detail at all. Tracks are the "rubber band" type, but they worked quite well. I did find they were a tad too short, so they couldn't be glued together with an overlap. I ended up stapling the ends together, and put the join on the top run where it's hidden by the skirts.

As mentioned earlier, this is the first time I used Tamiya Paint Retarder for acrylics, and I'm a huge fan! It gives a smooth, satiny finish when airbrushing, and eliminates brush strokes when hand painting. Very nice!

Cheers!

iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent result! Love the camo net, and the mud splashes; they are very true to scale indeed which (as I know to my cost) is NOT easy to do.

Still can't track down your large glitter flakes over here :frown: or the Tamiya retarder :frown: so will have to find a retailer that will sell internationally for both! :roll:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thanks Iggie! The cam net is a small roll of gauze left over from my last visit to the dentist, painted with Tamiya NATO green, black, and brown. The mud spatters are pigments mixed with water, then flicked on using an old toothbrush.

Sorry to hear you've had no joy finding the glitter or the paint retarder! :(
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

That Marder looks great Fred!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great job with that classic Tamiya Marder Fred, it might be an old kit but it has polished up very well in your capable hands!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thanks all!

For those interested, here's the boxtop from the kit. Another oldie but a goodie from Tamiya! I find these sell quite cheap in hobby shops these days, but they build up into very respectable models.

Cheers!
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Here's a photo of some of the small items I used on the Marder. I found these at our local arts & crafts store. The clear plastic envelopes on the left contain self-adhesive rhinestones. These come in various sizes and colours, but the small colourless and red ones are great for doing headlights and taillights. This may require grinding down the kit part a bit, but once that's done, you just peel them off the backing and stick them in place! The glitter and reflective tape were discussed already. The small container on the right has some non-adhesive blue rhinestones which are good for doing telescopic sights, rangefinders, etc.

Cheers!
Marek

Post by Marek »

Marder looks awesome.

Return to “Workbench Window”