Fred's Breakfast Bar

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Fred's Breakfast Bar

Post by iggie »

That looks awesome! I'm going to shamelessly save that tip away for when I tackle mine!

Btw did toy get my PMs yesterday?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

iggie wrote:That looks awesome! I'm going to shamelessly save that tip away for when I tackle mine!

Btw did toy get my PMs yesterday?
Hi Iggie! I'm glad if you found this useful. Looking forward to hearing what you think about your Arado. I'm enjoying this kit very much.

Yes, I got your PM, and I just sent you a reply. Thanks for writing!
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

That exhaust looks suitably burnt.

Nigel
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Great work on the exhaust stub, really convincing effect.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Painted the upper part of the fuselage, and finally got the engine on!
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

The chipping effect on the forward fuselage was done by rubbing selected areas with a buffable metallic paste, then painting the base colour over top. Since the metallic finish is waxy, paint doesn't stick to it very well, and it can easily be scratched off with a toothpick. This is a photo of the stuff I used, but there are lots of similar ones. I think one common type is called "Rub 'n' Buff".
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Very effective rust effect on the exhaust. The overall build is looking great!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Just came to a terrible realization. I somehow installed the engine rotated about 90 degrees out of position.

On the real aircraft, the cannon on the right side of the nose fired THROUGH the cowling (!). If you look at the way I installed the engine, the cannon would blow one of the cylinders clean off (see bottom photo). Now, I'm pretty lazy by nature, so I considered leaving it the way it is, but this is going to look obviously wrong on the completed model. Seen from the front, the hollow tube which is currently at the bottom is supposed to line up with the gun muzzle (I guess to protect the engine from the muzzle blast). To make matters worse, the current position of the engine will mess up the next stage which is installing the air intakes and exhausts, which have to attach to the backs of specific cylinders. I'll have to pry it off and rotate it to the right position. This won't be easy as the engine is fragile and I used Krazy Glue to secure it. :sad:

I can't figure out where I went wrong, as I thought I had followed the instructions pretty slavishly until now. Oh well, dopey me. Maybe this will serve as a cautionary tale to anyone building the same kit! :oops:

Anyhow, have a great weekend, all! ;-)

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Despite the error it looks even better in the close up pics. Good luck with removal.

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

We're all been there in one way or another! I hope you can get the engine off without any damage.
Will make a mental note for when I tackle mine!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Ah bum! It happens, I'm sure you'll get it sorted. It looks awesome BTW!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Good day all!

Thank you for the kind words of support! I'm happy to say that the engine popped off easily with some gentle prying with a screwdriver. I was even able to disassemble the engine a bit to re-trace where I went wrong, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. Each piece is keyed so it only fits one way. If I can't sort it out, I'll file off one of the keys and glue it in the proper position.
iggie wrote:We're all been there in one way or another! I hope you can get the engine off without any damage.
Will make a mental note for when I tackle mine!
Iggie, be warned! ;-)
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Baby steps . . . Got the exhausts on, and they fit well. I tried test-fitting the engine on the fuselage, and the exhaust stacks line up nicely with the recesses under the nose. Good job, Revell! Again, the exhausts were painted matte black, then dusted with rust-coloured pigments.

Next up: the cowling! I dread this, as it's made of multiple parts. They all test-fit OK, but getting them in position while the glue dries will take more hands than I have! :(
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Holy cow...I thought your armour builds were pretty epic. Please tell us that you'll keep enough cowling panels open so we can admire the work underneath.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Good day all!

Finally a quiet weekend, and an opportunity to move forward with the Arado! It hasn't all been smooth sailing . . .

Got the tailplane on with no trouble. Got the engine issue sorted out by filing off a locating key and rotating the engine to the right position. Still don't know where I went wrong with this!
gnomemeansgnome wrote:Holy cow...I thought your armour builds were pretty epic. Please tell us that you'll keep enough cowling panels open so we can admire the work underneath.
Gnomemeansgnome, thanks for your appeal on behalf of open panels, but I'm sorry to say I decided to zip it all up. The reason is that the inside of the engine compartment looks a little sparse, and my scratchbuilding skills aren't up to adding all the plumbing and wiring. Also, the access panels are quite thick and have no interior detail, so I don't think they'd look very good open. The good news is that the cowl is quite open, so the engine detail is still visible!

I gloss-coated the fuselage, then added the decals, and here I hit another snag: the decals silvered pretty badly. I don't know why, because I treated them exactly the same as the ones on the wings, which turned out fine. I ended up making small slits in the decal film, then used a brush to trickle in some more setting solution, and some Future acrylic floor polish. It helped, but it didn't get rid of the silvering altogether. Meanwhile, the decal I was most worried about (the blue shield with the sea horse design) went on fine even though it was on a compound curve.

I gloss-coated over the decals, then masked the "metal" panels and dull-coated the "fabric" panels. Unfortunately, the masking tape came in contact with some of the decals, and I accidentally peeled off some parts of them when I removed the tape. I had hoped they'd be better protected by the gloss coat.

Finally, I hit a snag when the time came to install the access panels on the nose of the aircraft, behind the engine. This was entirely my fault, and the problem started when I glued the bottom of the fuselage between the wing roots. I didn't press it up far enough, and it left a gap (see the red oval in the third photo). I wasn't too fussed about it at the time, but it left the whole nose section too tall, which meant that the access panels were too small for the holes they're meant to cover, and they kept falling inside when I tried to glue them in place. I finally wrestled them into position with some putty and super glue, but it's a messy job, and it all could have been avoided if I'd been more careful in the first place.

So there you go, a few problems, and all of my own making. I've been too long-winded, but I hope this may be useful to someone's future build! ;-)

Return to “Workbench Window”