Fred's Breakfast Bar

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
PGAS
Active Participant

Re: Fred's Breakfast Bar

Post by PGAS »

Fred,

The floats look great to me. I think the rivets soaking up the wash makes it look darker than you would like but to me it is fine. Especially with all the detail on the upper surface. I also think that in a way the weight in the front of the float actually goes to your advantage as it moves the center of gravity forward toward the base of the catapult.

What about adding the oil paint directly to the water after you put the float into the level you want. That way the oil paint would only transfer to the top edge of the water and would not stick to the underside when you pull it out as it is already covered with water. Of course what ever way you do it a test would be required before working on the magnificent paint job you have done so far.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Wow! Very nice.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Good day, all!

Paul, I guess you're right about the c of g issue. But one way or another, that catapult's going to be holding a fair bit of weight!

Sir T, Thanks for the kind comment!

I experimented with the dirty waterline idea some more, and I found it worked better if the plastic has a layer of Dullcote on it, I guess because it gives the paint more "tooth" to adhere to. Anyway, I put a matte finish on the floats, then half-filled an aluminium baking pan with water topped with a layer of thinner and brown paint, and half-submerged the floats in that. The effect is subtle, but I think it worked better this time. I can't stress enough that I did this OUTSIDE, since spilling that slurry of paint and thinner in the missus's kitchen would be more than my life is worth! ;-)

Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

And here's the final result once it's dry. Again, it doesn't knock your socks off, but I think it gives a decent effect. As a bonus, it gave a nice streaky look to the undersides of the floats, which I wasn't expecting!

Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

P.S. Now I want to try the same thing on this!

dollar19
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by dollar19 »

I love it! What a novel idea. Years ago when I built my Sunderland I was wanting to get a grimy waterline effect but couldn't pull it off to my satisfaction. Now I'm doing a Catalina for the Golden Oldies GB, and you've just made my day! I hope you don't mind if I steal your technique!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Canuck2016 wrote:P.S. Now I want to try the same thing on this!

I suspect a larger foil tray will be in order!

Superb result Fred and I too will be shamelessly nicking it for similar projects :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That is brilliant!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

dollar19 wrote:I love it! What a novel idea. Years ago when I built my Sunderland I was wanting to get a grimy waterline effect but couldn't pull it off to my satisfaction. Now I'm doing a Catalina for the Golden Oldies GB, and you've just made my day! I hope you don't mind if I steal your technique!
Thanks, Dollar19! I think this would look good on a Sunderland or a Catalina, since the effect would show up well on their white undersides. Of course you're very welcome to use this! Please post photos!

By the way, I have to ask: is your on-line name based on this? :)
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

) wrote:
Canuck2016 wrote:P.S. Now I want to try the same thing on this!

I suspect a larger foil tray will be in order!

Superb result Fred and I too will be shamelessly nicking it for similar projects :-D
True! I saw a nice deep-dish lasagna in Costco which should do the trick! :)

Thanks for asking, but please feel free to "nick" away, and post some photos!
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Canuck2016 wrote:
dollar19 wrote:I love it! What a novel idea. Years ago when I built my Sunderland I was wanting to get a grimy waterline effect but couldn't pull it off to my satisfaction. Now I'm doing a Catalina for the Golden Oldies GB, and you've just made my day! I hope you don't mind if I steal your technique!
Thanks, Dollar19! I think this would look good on a Sunderland or a Catalina, since the effect would show up well on their white undersides. Of course you're very welcome to use this! Please post photos!

By the way, I have to ask: is your on-line name based on this? :)
Why yes it is! My all time favorite aircraft. My father flew them in the USMC as the R4Q variant. I have the Italeri in the stash as my tribute build. I had it since first release and still haven't mustered up the courage to attempt it.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Very cool that your father flew C119s in the Marines! I always liked it too.

I have the Itlaeri kit too, though I haven't built it yet. I bought the Heller Noratlas also, because I think they'd look good together!
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

BTW, ever see "Flight of the Phoenix"? As a C119 fan, you might find it interesting!
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Yep seen the original and the remake. Although I must say I am partial to the Jimmy Stewart version. I just couldn't buy into to full aileron roll before the crash in the remake.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Yeah, I saw the original, but not the new one. Anyway, you gotta love that plane! :)

Return to “Workbench Window”