Moments of Zen

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
johnsan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Moments of Zen

Post by johnsan »

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a Portuguese Sabre before. Have to be sure to follow this.
Really nothing pithy to say.
Zen
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Zen »

johnsan wrote:Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a Portuguese Sabre before. Have to be sure to follow this.
Thanks, johnsan! IT's almost finished, just have to put the drop tanks on and scratch-build a pitot tube because i lost the kit's part... :roll:

:beer:
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It's looking very good so far 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Zen

Post by Zen »

Dazzled wrote:It's looking very good so far 8-)
Thank you, my friend! :grin:

It is finished!

More pics in my gallery: http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201& ... 09#p296309;

Now, on to more serious builds, i'm done with the recoveries from the stalled builds pile. I'm now starting a new phase in my modelling life, no more "in flight" models unless i have a nice stand to display them on.
Next to be finished will be these 3...

IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

2 Vipers and a Jump Jet, one hell of a lineup!
Nice work mate!
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Really stunning finish on that Sabre. I Love those Portuguese markings.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Zen

Post by Zen »

Maverick231 wrote:2 Vipers and a Jump Jet, one hell of a lineup!
Nice work mate!
Thanks!
The Viper is my favorite thing with wings so i think there will always be at least one on the go on my bench, the stash is well supplied with 15 more, patiently waiting for their turn... :twisted:
BTW, those 2 maybe getting some paint today...
Old_Tonto wrote:Really stunning finish on that Sabre. I Love those Portuguese markings.
Glad to know you like it, it was a fun scheme to do, too bad i messed up the pre-shading, but i'm still happy with the result. :)

And as i've reduced the unfinished builds pile to just 3 models, i've started a new one, the Revell 1/72 F8f Bearcat.
I've also bought the Airwaves PE set, which has a few things that just don't fit the kit but i've managed to use the instrument and side panels. The armored panel with the headrest was just too wide for the fuselage, as was the seat, which created a gap about 2mm wide on the fuselage seam. I used the kit's seat and no gap, easy choice.
This is how it looks at the moment, painting will be done later today.

Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Great stuff, love the Bearcat and its a classic kit.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Some great subjects on the go here Zen and I also love that Portuguese Sabre. Top stuff 8-)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Zen

Post by Zen »

Old_Tonto wrote:Great stuff, love the Bearcat and its a classic kit.
ShaunW wrote:Some great subjects on the go here Zen and I also love that Portuguese Sabre. Top stuff 8-)
Thanks, guys! :)
The Bearcat is one of my top 5 Prop planes and i had to have one on my display shelf, now came the time to build it for the In the Navy GB on Whatifmodellers.com , it's going to be one of the first carrier-based fighters of the Portuguese Navy, flying from ex-US Navy carriers bought after the end of WWII... :twisted:

The cockpit is finished, could be better but i'm not a very good detail painter... :roll:
Added some styrene sheet on the back of the instrument panel and seat to be able to paint and add some bits of the PE set's extras to make it more interesting, although it will not be seen after the pilot is in there.

Also painted the engine but it still needs work...

And the grid plates inside the intakes, which were also too tall and created a gap in the wing's LE, so had to be trimmed down... :frown:

Sincerely, this Airwaves PE set left me very disappointed, i thought it would be more precise in measures, not to mention the detail, which, by pics of the real aicraft, is very doubtful, to say the least...
I'm now in the process of painting the pilot and finishing the engine to close up the fuselage.

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

The Sabre looks top notch - well done. Loving the Bearcat - I need to get that kit too (Never been a fan of PE though).

Those 2 F-16s look interesting - whose markings are they destined for?
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
celt

Post by celt »

I cant quite get over the size of this UAMF and how talented the modellers are, I am nowhere near this level but its really good looking at the sterling work you and others are doing. Iam green with envy. :mrgreen:
Zen

Post by Zen »

Sir T wrote:The Sabre looks top notch - well done. Loving the Bearcat - I need to get that kit too (Never been a fan of PE though).

Those 2 F-16s look interesting - whose markings are they destined for?
Thanks! Glad you like the Sabre! :)
But i would buy the Art models kit, or Attack Squadron or the Sword kit if i were you, those are modern kits and this one has raised panel lines, no interiors, etc.. The other two kits are more expensive, no doubt, but they're much better kits, IMHO, worth the money if you really wanna build a nice Bearcat.
I'm thinking of buying the Sword kit, it has the option of building the F8F-1 or -2. And it's got some beautiful detailing on every part.
This was my first real experience with a PE cockpit, i'd only used the PE plates that come with the Aires F-22 nozzles. In all honesty, i like it, it's fun, and the detail is worth it, i'm just disappointed at Airwaves because of this set.

The F-16s are to become PoAF birds, the only thing i'm still deciding is, as always, the scheme. I've been thinking of finishing both of them in the same scheme as the one i did on my F-16XL, although i'd also like to try this: https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3765/1313 ... 64c1_b.jpg;
I know, all grey jets are boring for some, but i like them like that, dark and aggressive... :twisted:
celt wrote:I cant quite get over the size of this UAMF and how talented the modellers are, I am nowhere near this level but its really good looking at the sterling work you and others are doing. Iam green with envy. :mrgreen:
You're too kind, thank you! :)
Had the exact same feeling when i registered, this place is huge. :)
About the level of quality, like you, i was in awe with the high level of detail and realism that most folks here achieve, but i don't think i fit in their class, i'm still more of a low-level amateur who's starting to learn something. If you wanna improve your modeling skills, i'd say the right tools help a lot, i know it helped me, the rest is just trial and error.
Just remember to take it easy, it's all about fun! :beer:
celt

Post by celt »

I like to see a busy bench,you have a varied mix of models on the go,like it.
Zen

Post by Zen »

celt wrote:I like to see a busy bench,you have a varied mix of models on the go,like it.
Thanks, celt! Although i'm a Viper fan, i like all types of airplanes so i try to keep it varied. But still, it will always depend on how many i have going at the moment, i've managed to get it down to 4 and i don't want to have the 10+ stalled builds pile again... :mrgreen:
BTW, the Bearcat's almost finished, later today it's final assembly of the landing gear and mask removal. 8-)

Return to “Workbench Window”