The home of gnomemeansgnome

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
gnomemeansgnome
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: The home of gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Bearcat's got the blues

Primed and given Tamiya Buff topside, the FIAT gets alternate dabbings of medium green and flat brown on bits of sponge and flattened out somewhat by dabs of the base colour. Hopefully this looks better when it's finished!
Meanwhile, work has abated on the top wing for tonight till the rest of the putty dries so it can be sanded and primed and hopefully painted the same way as the rest of the model. I still have to figure out where the wing and cabane struts might be located and whether i am going to risk a bloodclot insisting on this impractical exercise by going with Warren trusses or a more orthodox arrangement
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
iggie

Post by iggie »

I like the look of the mottling on the FIAT, excellent technique
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Yes very well done!
gnomemeansgnome

Thanks gentlemen. That kind of camo is always kind of fun to do. Not 100% happy with it but I think I can live with the results so far; it will look better after a wash and wax I am sure. The fuselage band and rudder Savoy cross turned out okay, maybe a bit of touch up or leave it as desert wear and tear.

Remember when I stated at the start of this FIAT thing that it was going to be a no brainer? Yeah...no. First I am wondering if this biplane whiffer is going to work or not and now after rooting around in the boneyard looking for treasure, I found and finished trucking in and denuding an old Revell 109 carcass of its Daimler Benz with my trusty handsaw to see if this could be a thing and realised that all the firewall work would have to be redone and it's a bit late. Or not ;-) Image

Another time, then. Probably going to try the second wing briefly and then convert it back afterwards, maybe as a Regia Marina machine destined for one of the Italian Navy carriers......
Ego no habeo consilium.

gnomemeansgnome

Hmm, now on an urge to take measurements and bust out that hand saw again. This might just work after all, but will have to conjure up a radiator bath as well. Time to start digging and cutting......
Ego no habeo consilium.

gnomemeansgnome

Bearcat's on its gear, and waiting to see if the floor wax and the Modelmaster deep sea blue react with each other or not on a test patch of scrap plastic before I decal this magnificent beast.

Ego no habeo consilium.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

There's some interesting builds going on here GMG. Nicely done camo on the Fiat and the Bearcat is such a great looking fighter.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
gnomemeansgnome

Decided for now that I will stick with my original plan to keep the FIAT strictly oob. So the Alfa Romeo motor was duly fitted as well as the landing gear. Once I get round to decalling, all that's left is the total breakables. gear struts, pitot tubes, mg barrels etc. The wing I made and the DB601 cowling will wait for another time.

Ego no habeo consilium.

Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Nice Italian job 8-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
gnomemeansgnome

Ego no habeo consilium.

gnomemeansgnome

Decals on the Bearcat at last. Stubborn little things, a bit too glossy and slightly out of register tough as nails to soften up with decal setting solution so they would conform to the airframe. Ah well, I think I am on top of it now. Just been set aside till later when I get wax on it.

And against my scarce better judgement I have decided to revisit the biplane concept for the G.50. It's all tacked on with pva glue till I see whether it's going to work or not. A double wing on it sure changes it appearance. Still not sure if I like it or not. If I do go with this or use it on another G.50 as I have no shortage of them to work with, I am going to use the DB601 as well for sure.

Ego no habeo consilium.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Liking the Bearcat with it's decals.... Very smart.
And the upper wing on the G50 kind of works rather well!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Very nice job on the Bearcat and I like the Italian camo job. Good work!
gnomemeansgnome

Cheers fellas. One glamour shot of the finished product (more or less). The rest are on the Aviation page....

Ego no habeo consilium.

gnomemeansgnome

More puttering around with vintage artisanal polystyrene.....first up, a 72 scale Supermodel kit from Italy of the Macchi MC.202 Folgore. This one has been given the outsize chin cooler and a pair of 20mm wing cannon from Evergreen 3/64" dowelling, and will hopefully sport Royal Egyptian Air Force markings circa 1949. poached from an as yet unbuilt DML Jian J-2. Got it all ready for priming but the weather has not been conducive to such things at present.

Just across the other side of the table is another craig's liszt air force rescue from 2014, the only non 72 scale model in the box I got for $15 bucks that yielded almost 30 kits in various states of decrepitude. So far I have rebuilt, restored or re-purposed over half of them and this will make number seventeen, I think. I believe it is a 32 scale Revell Focke Wulf FW-190D-9. I forget where I saw the technique but I employed what I believe someone from the forum posted of a drybrushing technique to soften brush painted schemes for an almost airbrush effect. I mixed up some light blue to match the colour on the model as closely as possible and went to work with a clapped out brush to soften the spots as best I could. Wasn't really in any mood to strip the paint and start over. Luckily the only major part it lacked was the spinner. Thanks to Beany I have a resin spinner and paddle blades and after a jolly good Dremelling outside upwind and masked from my efforts is now ready for assembly. Just have to make sure I have the blades facing in the correct direction!

Once this beast is done I will post the necessary glamour shots, and then try to figure out where the heck I am going to put it! Way too big for the ceiling.
Ego no habeo consilium.

Return to “Workbench Window”