The home of gnomemeansgnome

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
gnomemeansgnome
Modelling Gent and Scholar

The home of gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Ha! I finally figured out how to post pics! Terribly proud of myself. Anyhoo, some pics of my latest build, a PZL.37 Łoś in Glorious Braille Scale by ZTS Plastyk, circa 1979. I built one a few years ago for a pal from the stash he bequeathed to me; it now resides at the Comox Air Museum. I had one by Pantera, obviously the same molding, and then this one, a consignment find from BC Shaver Hobbies in Victoria BC. Wasn't too thrilled to find the pilot's deck and the clear parts missing. Other than that it is complete. The plan is to finish it as the unarmed demonstrator machine, callsign SP-BNU which attended the November 1938 Airshow in Belgrade. I futzed together a deck for the pilot, and am to paint it and the interior soon. This kit isn't as nicely molded as the one I did for my friend, so I see a dab or two of putty in this build's future. This is what we have so far.....

Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: The home of gnomemeansgnome

Post by jssel »

Great start on posting photos. Can't wait to see more.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
gnomemeansgnome

Thanks! We shall see how it goes.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent, it's great to see some photos from your bench and I look forward to seeing more of your PZL build.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
gnomemeansgnome

Further work on the PZL.37 Łoś.....not particularly happy with the paint and wash in the crew compartments, which I attribute to the hot weather turning some of my paints into the consistency of cottage cheese. In any event enough of the paintwork in the visible areas is presentable enough and I have buttoned up the fuselage, as well as added the wings.

Next, the tail was added, and the fit even after much filing and scraping leaves much to be desired. The twin rudders will be added after I get on with putty and yet more sanding. The propellers, engines and heat rings have been painted, and the cowlings will soon follow. Some preliminary washes have been added to control surfaces as well. At some point soon I have to brace myself (based on a similar experience replacing the missing parts on my craigs liszt air force Junkers 188) for what will be a protracted period of cutting some compounded curved pieces of clear packaging plastic that will be used to replicate the missing glazing and canopies.
Ego no habeo consilium.

Zen
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Zen »

Looking good, keep it coming! :beer:
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

That is looking great.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
gnomemeansgnome

Thanks. The summer we are experiencing here on the Wet Coast is putting a bit of a dent in my puttering away at my various projects. Still getting used to thirty five degree centigrade temperatures that occasionally play havoc with my labours. While the puttying on the Łoś continues I have started to cut plastic on another BC Shavers Shop find, this time an Airfix Vickers Light Tank Mk VI. Work has commenced on the hull, tracks and running gear as well as the turret, as I try to interpret the somewhat foggy instructions and as yet to be determined paint scheme.

While my start at the Vickers cures, I have also embarked on a somewhat tidier way of applying Tamiya putty on the airframe of the PZL, using painter's tape to keep the application down to where it is needed.

Ego no habeo consilium.

gnomemeansgnome

While I have started trimming bits of clear packaging to resemble the windscreen and canopies for the PZL, I have got the major components of the Vickers painted and assembled. Lacking the Brunswick Green for the main color, I found a similiar shade of green in my paintbox. The tracks and bogies have been painted gun metal and then doused with washes of flat black and a home made rust.

Trimming bits of clear plastic for the PZL will take some time but I hope to post pics of what I have so far. The nose glazing boondoggle will hopefully be resolved by trimming and slightly reshaping a spare Handley Page Halifax bombardiers' glazing.
Ego no habeo consilium.

gnomemeansgnome

This is a toy I found that vaguely resembles an M1 Abrams. I have two 72nd scale Revell kits of this vehicle in the stash but felt compelled to see what a basic paintjob and wash could be done to redeem it. Other than the whip aerials made from stretched sprue I cut off the comically oversized .50 caliber MG and replced that with sprue somewhat more scaled down. At some point I will see about painting some ID markings on the hull and turret as well.

Ego no habeo consilium.

hayabusa
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by hayabusa »

PZL 37 ... i remember this kit from my basic schoool ... It was superb kit ... comparable with good series from Heller ... ech ... remains ... :-)
Regards,

Pawel
(2024 A:B:C 2:1:0)
(2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 A:B:C (11+11+16+10):0:0... no comments ... khem); (2019 A:B:C 4:2:0) ; (2018 A:B:C 6:2:0) ; (2017 A:B:C 8:0:0)
In progress:
1/72, Matchbox, Sea Harrier FRS.1
1/72, Arma Hobby, Yakovlev Yak-1b
1/72, Hobby Boss, F4F-4 Wildcat
gnomemeansgnome

Yes, it is a nice little kit. A few pieces were short shot but it's nothing a little putty cannot fix. The glazing I am trying to put together is a little finicky though, as I am eyeballing them as I make them. Makes me wish I had peeked in the box first to make sure all the pieces were there. I have still have the Pantera Models molding of this kit in the stash somewhere as well.
Ego no habeo consilium.

gnomemeansgnome

Picking away very leisurely at the workbench lately, what with real life worries and all........ Picked out a disruptive scheme for the Vickers which I hope will look a bit better after a wash or two.

Meanwhile work on the PZL crawls along. The tedious and labourious eyeballing the shape and fit of the scratchbuilt canopies and glazing continues apace. The Halibag nose has had the Dickens sanded out of it so that it will fit flush with my knocked together glazing. I have doubts that it will look exactly like the original, and one day hope to find the kit versions...I find it odd that all the pics I find depict the cockpit canopy open from the right side instead of the left as in any other design, though. So when the clear bits are done I guess that is how i will depict it.

Ego no habeo consilium.

gnomemeansgnome

Work on the Vickers is coming along; I think I can call it done as of today; just needs some drying time after one last toot of Tamiya Flat Clear, then final assembly.....

Ego no habeo consilium.

gnomemeansgnome

Vickers MkVI light tank of the BEF, France 1940, Airfix (VB Models re-issue) in glorious 1:76th scale.

Ego no habeo consilium.

Return to “Workbench Window”