Softscience Labs 2.5

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Softscience Labs 2.5

Post by iggie »

I may have the Indian decals in my spares box if you're intetested?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Thanks, Iggie. I'm going to see if I can source some stateside, just to keep the costs low.
iggie

Post by iggie »

:grin: found them; yours for the cost of a PM with your name and address 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

PM inbound, Iggie.

Meanwhile, the quest to clear the shelves of models that have been languishing for years, continues. This is the Cyber-Hobby T-34, which I purchased back in 2007. That was three US Presidents, and four US States ago.

Again, pretty pictures to come. Seems like whenever I have time or desire to do photos its either dark or raining.

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I got impatient and set up a photoshoot in the house. The pics aren't great, but they're up. Enjoy.

here

here

and here
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Just a random late-August update from the work-desk.

After my run of mid-summer tanks, I've been floundering a good deal.

My 1/32 FW-190 hasn't had me jazzed lately. I stalled out on the Whitley I was working on at the start of the year, I'm still undecided on what to do with the Hasegawa F-4 that I have 90% finished, but which I hate, and the seahawk needs a complete repaint as I decided to build one in the earlier scheme.

Most of my efforts have been devoted to an Academy F-15 in 1/72 for a GB at another forum. I've been having fun with the kit, but I feel like most of what I've been doing on it is rescribing panel lines.

I'm getting the urge to build something with one engine, and a propeller. Not necessarily a simple kit, but a kit that won't require a ton of rescribing. Something without a ton of canopy frames, and with a simple paint job. Like an F6F or an F8F. Maybe a nice Tamiya P-47. I really need to finish something first though.

I'm looking over at my half finished Whitley and its calling to me

but there is a lot left to do here, and its nothing to be rushed

Ditto with the eagle. The rescribing steps are done, and its just small bits and paint from here

There's also the little dude next to the eagle. That's Zvezda's EXCELLENT BMPT-1. A very complex paint-job awaits.

But then I turn to my left and see my collection of mostly single engined fighters in 72 and want to go with something small and simple.

If only all dilemmas could be this great.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice collection. Is that one of those IKEA glass cabinets they're housed in?

Nigel
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Nice update Ralph. Great pics. The T-34 weathering is really well done.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

It is. I'm in the process of adding additional shelves. There is plenty of room for them and the process is very easy. For now I out in only one, to test it out. Works like a charm.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I've added extra shelves to my IKEA cabinets too; so far the total is up to 23 shelves (not including the bottoms) between 3 cabinets :grin:
Are you using acrylic sheet or glass?
Best wishes

Jim
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Awesome T-34. You did a great job on the weathering.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Thanks, Paul.

Hi all,

Below is something of a digest version of a project I began working on over the weekend. I was looking for a simple project to work on between some bigger jobs, and something I could finish over the course of a few weekends, since I'll be away from home most weeknights for the next few weeks.

I pulled the old Hasegawa P-40N, which has been in my stash since around 2013. I was going to just do it OOB, but when I opened the box, I realized that I had thrown in parts from a broken down old Academy P-40 in there with it. So I decided to do a simple kit bash.

The plan was to replace the Hasegawa

1) wheel wells
2) cockpit
3) canopy.

The gear wells were simple. I simply cut out the wells from the Hase wing, then from the Academy wing. I sanded the walls until I could close the wing halves, and glue in. Easy-peasy.

The cockpit took only a bit more work. The floor and rear bulkhead parts are sized exactly the same in both kits, so the old floor fit just fine (as did the IP). I did need to shave the rear bulkhead just a touch to fit in with the somewhat constricting side walls added in.

The side walls were just trimmed from the fuselage halves, and the backs were sanded to thin them sufficiently.

Here is the before photo, with all the random parts cut out of the Academy kit and test fit to the Hasegawa fuselage.

and here is the floor with the seat reshaped, new tape belts and a new coat of paint.

it isn't super accurate, but super-detailing is not the goal of this project. It looks sufficently busy and P-40 like. Impressionist modeling. :)

The various bits fit into the fuselage without issue. The rest of the airframe went together very quickly.

I chewed out a bit of the coaming while prepping it for the Academy gun sight. I should be able to save it though.

When I come back home Friday, I hope to fit the Academy canopy parts. Test fits suggest they'll work.

I began painting the prop back in 2013.

I still need to wrap a white stripe around the center of the spinner. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

This may be why I gave up on the project back then :D

more soon.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Great project, Ralph. Lots of scope with P-40s.
The Hasegawa original is pretty good-looking to start with. I built one for a friend whose Dad flew one in the RAAF, and I have the Academy kit in the stash. (And I modified the Otaki 1/48 kit to an 'N' model, too).

cheers,

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

If the white is a ring not a spiral, try mounting the spinner on a cocktail stick so it's well centred and then roll it along the edge of a flat surface. Follow it with a fine brush loaded with white paint and gently touch the brush onto the spinner until you complete a full circle. Repeat as necessary to get a decent depth of coverage
Best wishes

Jim
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I know my klutzy hands would screw that up :D

Return to “Workbench Window”