Softscience Labs 2.5

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Softscience Labs 2.5

Post by Stuart »

Ouch! Good repair though.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I've done something similar in the past Ralph. I now use very hot, not boiling, water and a bit of weight in an attempt to remove warps. The method usually works for me but is not foolproof, as it is still possible to make the situation worse! Basically warped parts are a PITA. You've managed a decent enough save here and hopefully the repair will clean up well enough to allow you to complete the model in your first choice of a NMF.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

I've not yet built an Eduard kit (I have a couple in the pile, but a long way down....) but I recall the plastic as being a little like Academy kits; quite hard and unforgiving!

Looks like you've made a good repair and hopefully you won't have lost too much detail as a result
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Saved!

Iggie, you're right about Eduard and Academy plastics being hard. Its why I like them. The hard plastic makes for crisp details and fine relief. I also find I get less panel line loss when I'm sanding it. With all that said, its still not as brittle as Hasegawa plastic.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

ShaunW wrote:I now use very hot, not boiling, water and a bit of weight in an attempt to remove warps. The method usually works for me but is not foolproof, as it is still possible to make the situation worse!

Reminds me of that Eduard video where the guy sticks a whole spitfire into a pot of boiling water. :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npdFjrpf9LY
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Fit of the nose ring is a bit off. I don't know how I managed this.

Especially since the topside and the splitter fit more or less alright.

Ural
Active Participant

Post by Ural »

Hello Ralph, amazing work in the Mig 29, I didn´t know either that the MIG 15 take the air this way! very interesting, and one of the reason because I made models, they allways teach something to us!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Ural wrote:Hello Ralph, amazing work in the Mig 29, I didn´t know either that the MIG 15 take the air this way! very interesting, and one of the reason because I made models, they allways teach something to us!
Ain't that the truth! One of the first things I do when starting a new build (or when considering a new purchase.... :roll: ) is to look it up on Scalemates and on Wikipedia; always something new to learn about most things in life I find :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great fix on the wing Ralph, I can't tell it was ever damaged.

Would you like fries with your boiled Spitfire, sir? :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Finally an update.

The MiG-15 was a fail. I stripped out the cockpit and will be saving the already painted landing gear details, etc. I'll order an Eduard overtrees set of the plastic bits and give it a second go. That crack in the wing kept showing up, and my wing root fit was atrocious. A do-over is merited.

I still have the 1/32 FW-190 on the bench, but the bulk of my efforts has gone to decreasing some of the AFV stash.

I managed to finish two today. They are the T-62 in Syrian garb, from the Yom Kippur War, and a BTR-80 serving with Soviet forces in Jalalabad, Afghanistan, during the late 1980s.

The T-62 is a 1:35 Trumpeter kit, and the the little BTR is a 1/72 ACE kit. Both are excellent models and were tons of fun to build (though the ACE kit is short-run and thus not for beginners). Neither model is technically finished, as both are awaiting figures. Some resin dudes are on the way in the mail from Russia. Should be here in a few weeks. I will take more pictures tomorrow when I get some good outdoor light.

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

a few others in progress.

Zvezda's excellent 1/72 BMPT Terminator.

This is the kind of 1/72 kit that laughs in the face of lesser 1/72 kits.

Engineering is brilliant! Here is the one piece hard plastic track, which is scored at the articulations between links, allowing you to wrap it around the wheels.

And getting close to the end with this little guy. This is the Hobby Boss kit. It is pretty nice but I have a feeling there's probably something. In fact I know there is. The decals for the Indian Navy markings say "INIDIAN NAVY". Easy to fix, but Geebus!

iggie

Post by iggie »

The Hobby Boss Seahawk is a lovely kit and looks delightful in any scheme but the Suez one is best imho. I never noticed the spelling mistake though; skoolboy error or what!
Best wishes

Jim
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Really nice work Ralph, both of those armour pieces look exceptional. Did the T-62 have separate link tracks?

Interesting decal error on the Sehawk :) I remember having to correct a similar mistake on the Airfix BN Islander sheet; the tail emblem said 'PILIPNAS' instead of "PILIPINAS'
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Indy link tracks on the T-62, Mike.

I had that same decal sheet for the Pilpino Islander :)
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I'm going to need to source another set of Indian roundels, hobbyboss had me do something really goofy on the upper wing. Blast!

Return to “Workbench Window”