Softscience Labs 2.5

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Softscience Labs 2.5

Post by mjatx »

Excellent work on the Hellcat. I built one of Eduard's 1/72nd versions of that kit and it was a real pleasure. Yours is looking great.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

mjatx wrote:Excellent work on the Hellcat. I built one of Eduard's 1/72nd versions of that kit and it was a real pleasure. Yours is looking great.
The 72nd scale version is one of my favorite kits of all time.

And thanks for the kind comment.

The weathering has been tricky so far. I couldn't find a good set of colors for panel lining. They kept coming up too dark or too bright. I finally mixed a pale brown with a dark blue. Covered it with more dark blue in some areas. Then oversprayed everything with a few faded sand glaze coats.

It sounds more complex than what it was - mostly me experimenting until I found a balance I like.

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Very smart, Ralph! I think the weathering looks very effective - the USN had some pretty beat up ships towards the end of the War.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Very nice indeed, Ralph. Excellent bit of weathering that looks right to my eyes.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

That looks spot on to me!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Nearly there, now.

PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

The weathering and exhaust stains are well done. I would not have guessed it was 1/72 without reading it due to the good work done so far.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Lovely. How did you do the exhaust staining Ralph? airbrush or dry brushing? it looks very effective.

IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

PropWash wrote:The weathering and exhaust stains are well done. I would not have guessed it was 1/72 without reading it due to the good work done so far.

It isn't 1/72 :)
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

ShaunW wrote:Lovely. How did you do the exhaust staining Ralph? airbrush or dry brushing? it looks very effective.

A bit of both. I airbrushed a Misty coat of the dirty tan color and then scrubbed at it with a toothbrush soaked in rubbing alcohol to simulate exhaust stain that had been washed by rain (there were many squalls and storms the E sailed through when this plane was in service).

Then I dry brushed some dark brown and black and tied it all together with a misty AB coat of Tamiya smoke.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Softscience wrote:
ShaunW wrote:Lovely. How did you do the exhaust staining Ralph? airbrush or dry brushing? it looks very effective.

A bit of both. I airbrushed a Misty coat of the dirty tan color and then scrubbed at it with a toothbrush soaked in rubbing alcohol to simulate exhaust stain that had been washed by rain (there were many squalls and storms the E sailed through when this plane was in service).

Then I dry brushed some dark brown and black and tied it all together with a misty AB coat of Tamiya smoke.
That explains the toothbrush in the background on your bench then :grin: Quite an involved process but the end result is excellent. Seeing this build makes me think that I really must make the effort to model some of these famous WW II types as I've tended to focus on Cold War jets. Whilst the Cold War remains a real era of interest to me, I can't help but think that I could do with revisiting types such as the Hellcat, Corsair, Zero, P-47, P-51 etc etc. So many models, so little time!

IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

ShaunW wrote:
That explains the toothbrush in the background on your bench then :grin: Quite an involved process but the end result is excellent. Seeing this build makes me think that I really must make the effort to model some of these famous WW II types as I've tended to focus on Cold War jets. Whilst the Cold War remains a real era of interest to me, I can't help but think that I could do with revisiting types such as the Hellcat, Corsair, Zero, P-47, P-51 etc etc. So many models, so little time!
Hey, for all you know, I do my modeling and oral hygene in the same space....and with the same brush ;)

Keep getting paint on my teeth
iggie

Post by iggie »

Softscience wrote:
ShaunW wrote:
Hey, for all you know, I do my modeling and oral hygene in the same space....and with the same brush ;)

Keep getting paint on my teeth
Dettol is a good paint stripper.......... :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

iggie wrote: Dettol is a good paint stripper.......... :-D

Keeps models minty fresh!
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Softscience wrote:
PropWash wrote:The weathering and exhaust stains are well done. I would not have guessed it was 1/72 without reading it due to the good work done so far.

It isn't 1/72 :)
Geez! I had to go back to page 17 to find the scale (no small feat for a guy bedridden with a bad cold the last few days). It's still a thing of beauty. :grin:

Return to “Workbench Window”