Softscience Labs 2.5

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Softscience Labs 2.5

Post by Softscience »

Hi everybody,

I've decided to reboot my WIP page (for a third time if you count the nice old UAMF page). It has been some time since I updated the old softscience labs, have finished a number of models since I posted a WIP there, and at 100+ pages, it had gotten a bit unwieldy.

I went through a period where I began to dislike posting progress shots, and where I became so critical of my work, that I actually ended up not finishing most of what I started - and worse still, throwing out half finished projects because they weren't up to some abstract lofty goal. I'm getting better now (I think), and I think that having a progress page on UAMF, where most folks take a more casual approach to modeling, will help me redevelop the healthy attitude towards modeling that I used to have.

At least I hope it does, so let us see.

Hence, without further ado, (some of) my current projects.

First up is a pair of Airfix Mustangs. I bought the first kit some years ago, but didn't start building because it was mismoulded, and missing half its tail. More recently I contacted Hornby USA for the missing part, and they sent me a whole kit free of charge (That is great customer service). Well, I felt bad throwing the whole other kit out, so I decided to try building them side by side. One as a Korean War F-51D, and the second as the last active Dominican F-51D from the early 1980s :shock:

The side walls to begin with:
floor/seats/etc.
Fuselages together. Here you can see the problem of the missing tail. I'm going to try fixing this with Apoxie Sculpt putty. If it doesn't work, I may limit myself to just the Korean F-51

There's a bit more on the bench, but we'll keep it simple for now.

Just a sneak peak

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Softscience Labs 2.5

Post by jssel »

Nice couple of 'stangs.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by mjatx »

Very nice work! I keep thinking I need to buy one of the new Airfix Mustangs...now I know I must.

Regardless of the final decision, on the short shot kit, please keep us updated on how it goes. That'll be interesting to see.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

It's a nice little kit and you've made a nice start.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great start to this pair of Airfix ponies. Pity about the short shot kit but that is indeed great customer service in sending you a complete replacement kit. Losing an entire side of the tail is a hell of a short shot though and IMHO shouldn't really be happening on a new tool kit.

I too have been torturing myself with standards I can't meet, silly really but there you go. I'm going to change my approach a bit too as this is, after all, supposed to be a relaxing pastime!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

You said it, Shaun.

I'm finding it difficult to sculpt a new tail, so I have set the malformed mustang aside for now. Here is his stablemate.

And the hobbyboss F4u-5

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I filled in the wing panels on the mustang, but now I'm unsure if that was something still done on Korean war era machines. I assume so.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

The airframe is largely done.

The fit of the leading edges of the wings wasn't great, so I ended up having to sand off and replace the gun barrels. I just used styrene rod.

I also hollowed out the ends of the exhausts.

You'll notice I removed the seat, as I want to add some seat belt detail. May have to wait until the following weekend, as I'm flying out for a project tomorrow morning.

See you all soon.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Sticking to the adage of "keep it simple, stupid", I was able to finish the seat. Sprayed yellow on the bombs and prop too. It'll be well cured and ready for masking when I return next week.

mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by mjatx »

Looking good. I actually just picked up this kit from the LHS last week. Where should I tell the boys at Hornby to send your commission check for my purchase?
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

mjatx wrote:Looking good. I actually just picked up this kit from the LHS last week. Where should I tell the boys at Hornby to send your commission check for my purchase?

Lol. I wish :)

I think you'll enjoy the kit. It isn't as good as say the Hurricane or Typhoon, but its still one of airfix's better ones.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Hi again.

My mustang is taking a back seat to the corsair until it's silver paint cures. I'll need to tidy up the polishing on the wings, as a lot of sand marks are currently visible.

The F-4u-5 has its fuselage together now.

I replaced the round panel on the fuselage top with some tape that I cut to shape. The original was lost to sanding.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The Corsair is looking very promising - I've had a scan back through your recent photos and the cockpit on this is very nice indeed, is it stock or have you been adding a few extras?

IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Thanks Shawn. It's stock. The only thing I added were the harnesses. The lap belts are generic PE. The shoulder harnesses are Painted tape and guitar string.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's a great looking pit and your extra work has really enhanced it. Guitar strings are ever useful - after I've re-strung I never throw away the excess strings from either my six-string or my bass as they have great modelling uses!

IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”