Softscience Labs 2.5

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Softscience Labs 2.5

Post by ShaunW »

That is not good, Ralph, not good at all. What happened - fingerprint marks? I've only experienced this sort of thing with paint once and that was with my on-off-on the shelf of doom F-100D when Humbrol enamel failed to dry properly after a week or so and I only discovered that fact when I came to handle the model to remove the masking tape :evil: I feel your pain - damn hobby is so frustrating at times!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Oh well. Screw it!

Best way to get over a bad model is to start a fresh new one.

I began messing around with Hasegawa's TBM-3 tonight.

Its a very simple kit, especially in the cockpit, so I dressed it up a bit. I cut away the middle floor sections and added some generic radio box looking things (the big one is a 1/35 ammo container). Not 100% accurate, but better than whats in the box.

Seat belts are just some painters tape dressed up with Vallejo paint.

iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

That's a great looking start!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Looks very good to me. Those radio boxes are a nice addition.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

''All mistakes can be hidden with poor photography :-D ''
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Getting straight back on the horse is a good philosophy IMHO and this is a great start to the new build!

IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Here is where we are for now. Fuselage fit was nearly flawless. The wings are just slotted in for now, as it will be easier to paint with the wings off. I hope to get the cowl ring on later today, and then get working on tarting up the turret interior a bit.

I have ordered some canopy masks, as I dread doing this greenhouse with Hasegawa's very low relief frames. Unfortunately the model shop I got them from, lost them, and will reship when they get a new order. Lord knows how long that might be.

PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Sorry to hear of your paint troubles. For what it's worth, both my son and I can take the gloss finish off a car if we leave fingerprints on it long enough. I have just went online and purchased some finger cots to try and stop my fingers from gooing up the models. I am trying to see if they are better than the latex full gloves that I have used.Because they just cover over the fingers instead of the whole hand, it should be more comfortable since I find the full gloves too hot to wear for any length of time. Have you ever tried these cots?

Looking for the images of your TBM, but I only see the word image and no picture for some reason.

Cheers,
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

PGAS wrote:Sorry to hear of your paint troubles. For what it's worth, both my son and I can take the gloss finish off a car if we leave fingerprints on it long enough. I have just went online and purchased some finger cots to try and stop my fingers from gooing up the models. I am trying to see if they are better than the latex full gloves that I have used.Because they just cover over the fingers instead of the whole hand, it should be more comfortable since I find the full gloves too hot to wear for any length of time. Have you ever tried these cots?

Looking for the images of your TBM, but I only see the word image and no picture for some reason.

Cheers,

Hi Paul,

I picked up some nitril gloves based on your suggestion. I hope it helps. We'll see after the next paint job :)
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

A few more things on the bench.

Eduard's sublime hellcat. I intended to buy the 72nd scale kit, but accidentally ordered in 1/48. It's okay, as I enjoy building both.

The kit is the weekend edition, without any PE. It's a bit bare bones in the cockpit, so I added generic PE belts and a few other bits.

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Lastly, is AZ Model's MS.406C-1. I bought this kit in the summer of 2016, when I visited Warsaw, and stopped in at the INCREDIBLE Jaddar Hobby shop.

It's only an okay kit. The Hasegawa kit has better cockpit detail, and Hobbyboss has better overall external details (e.g., the ring and bead gunsight, which this kit is missing). Fit has be so-so, and the trailing edges on wings was very thick. So why am I punishing myself with it?

I'm not. Its been a fun build, and the kit has markings for the airplane Kazimierz Bursztyn died in, during the battle of France (French wing markings, with big Polish Szachownice on the fuselage sides).

I'm almost ready for paint. I want to prefit the landing gear bits before I complicate matters with paint. I'd also like to measure out and fit a scratchbuilt ring-and-bead site before I add the canopy.

I painted the tail white, and will mask for the blue and red of the French tricolor, as soon as I figure out the right shade of blue.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent choice of subjects. The Hellcat is one of those famous types that, for whatever reason, I've never got around to building. French WWII types are quite esoteric and generally interesting although I've never built one. My main interest is post-war jets and I don't often build WWII types full stop. Maybe I'm missing a trick!

IPMS#12300
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Looks like you are well and truly back in the groove, Ralph!

Cheers,

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

It's always intetesting to look in on your bench Ralph; always a good variety of work and subjects!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I could have sworn I wrote a reply to Shaun, David and Iggie, but it must have not posted. Hm.

In any case, thanks guys, for the comments.

I need some help.
The canopy of the MS406 is narrower than the fuselage, and there are unsightly sills on either side of the rear part. Any advice on how to fix this? Sanding the fuselage down to size may make things look a bit funny, and would be a major pain in the butt. Although, I can't think of another way.

Is it time to crash-mould a wider canopy? That is way outside my skill-set, but this may be the time to learn.
Marek

Post by Marek »

Ralph, measure your canopy width and fuselage canopy joint width, I'll compare with mine from the AZ kit I have (I assume we both have 1/72), maybe they differ. If they do, we'll figure out a way. Also, I just may (not sure if I have not sold it) have old Falcon french canopies. The vacu one would give you enough flexibility. I'll get back to you on that subject tonight.

Return to “Workbench Window”