TeeELLs kitchen crafting kit creations

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: TeeELLs kitchen crafting kit creations

Post by TeeELL »

Whilst measuring and comparing the Revell model with scaled drawings it has occurred to me that a DH2 finished straight from the box would be a funny looking aircraft. The 'sit' would be completely wrong due to the enlarges wheels/tyres, the extended undercarriage legs and the fore-shortened tail booms.

Here we have a comparison between the kit and a scale drawing (note, where the 'kink' is seen,that that is the fitment for the wing join). As can be seen, the tail boom matches the drawing quite well, although the struts are out of position. There is, however, a much bigger problem!!

On the aircraft the booms converge, each set at 30º to the trailing edge, thus a side view, as above, does not reflect the true length of the tail booms.
Here then, is a comparison of the kit component with the correct view of the tail boom:

The tail booms are about 9mm (ie a scale 2' 3") short. I plan to replace the kit parts with, probably, 0.8mm carbon fibre rod and utilise the struts once I can confirm the distance the wings sit apart. I have re-checked the length of the wing struts supplied and they are, in fact, correct, although the fitting holes are very shallow!
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Roden 1:72 FWD
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is quite a bit out, Tony. If you are confident that the scale drawings are accurate (errors have been known down the years) then re-make those booms. To be honest, I think some carefully crafted replacements as you suggest would improve on those kit items even if the latter were accurate to the plans as I think you will achieve a better scale effect.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Shawn,
I have compared 4 different scale drawings and all agree to within fractions of mm. It is a straight forward misinterpretation by the original pattern maker.
Tony

Current build:
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

this is pretty wild, seeing this built. I'm very excited to see where this project takes you.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Well I have been away for a few days but, on my return today, I found a package from Eduard. Oh, yes! They had sent me a 1/72 DH2 4-bladed airscrew, yes really :-).

Here it is!!!!:

Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

They had mentioned that they found a sprue with the airscrew on it, quite by stroke of good fortune and. although I offered to pay, they said I could have it gratis. I will admit that I rather hoped they would send the whole sprue and not just the 4-bladed airscrew.

Do you know what? They did!

There are a few parts on there that can be utilised on the Revell kit!
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

BUT!! It didn't stop there, oh no..... There was a second sprue .... oh yeh baby!!

Eduard have sent me a COMPLETE DH2 kit less decals (no problem) or instructions (which I have download of't'interweb). One very happy bunny.

Of course, my first thought was to stop work on the Revell model and crack on with this, distinctly superior, model. But that wouldn't be fair on the one or 2 of you with the Revell DH2 in your stash and a desire to see someone make a 'pigs ear' of building it Lol!! So, to that end, I shall persevere; the Eduard model will provide me with 3D references (I've been using my 1/48 scale Eduard DH2 kit, up 'till now) in addition to the Windsock booklet, I shall even fabricate the bits that I could 'steal' from all the extras in the Eduard kit.

There is a downside to all this ........ I wonder if Eduard have a spare 4-bladed airscrew for a DH2 ?????????????? Hmmmmm, now then, where is my moulding kit??
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Whilst the excitement of having, in my hot little paws, complete Eduard sprues for the DH2 has almost gone to my head, I thought I should show some of the work done to the Revell model. The inside of the cockpit nacelle has some detail, framing, the elevator trim mechanism, raised floor section with rudder pedals, instrument panel!!, top of the fuel and oil tanks behind the cockpit opening, the body of the centre-line gravity feed fuel tank and the ends of the fuel and oil tanks within the body.

My mention of the fore-shortened tail booms of the Revell kit garnered brief discussion. The Eduard kit tail booms match the drawings - the photo suggests otherwise, but that is just a function of their being away from the drawing by 1/4 - 1/2".

A comparison of the tail-booms:

It really does require scratch building the Revell tail-booms. I have received the Carbon fibre rods that I propose to use for the longitudinals, although I am still wondering how best to secure the rigging!!

As I shall use the Eduard model to craft the 29 Sqn DH2 for my collection, the SmallStuff Monosoupape engine will be fitted to that and the Eduard engine utilised on the Revell model. I have been pondering how best to mould a second 4-bladed prop from the Eduard original. I am thinking - keep in on the surrounding sprue and cast that as well, I guess I could use a syringe to create a vacuum so the resin fills all the spaces? We shall see.
Tony

Current build:
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

This is fascinating viewing. Nice score on the Eduard kit. It looks like you have already scratch made more parts than originally came with the Revell DH2 kit.

All the best,

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Great work Tee. Reminds me of making spaghetti bridges at school. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

My last entry on page 13 suggested that I had no plans to re-model the FAW9/9R and correct the shortcomings of the Airfix kit. Well, I lied! It has been eating at me since I finished the model, I feel the need to do a better job. An Airfix FAW9/9R was offered on e-Bay this last week and it went for 'silly money' so I shelved the idea, but today I found another and won it for a much, much more reasonable amount. Quite when I will build it I have no idea, but the DH 2 has to come first. PLEASE, remind me of that if I show signs of drifting.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I have been doing some additional work on the DH2. Firstly, the wing chord has been corrected by removing the excess 1.5mm from the trailing edge. The wing was sanded down afterwards to achieve a thin trailing edge, the loss of the 'scallop' effect isn't a problem as that would not exist where the fabric is attached to the rear spar.

In this view the port side has been trimmed

The additional work includes:

completion of the over wing gravity tank
re-shaping the trailing edge wing tips
fitting representations of the main fuel and oil tanks
re-positioning the 'compass'

I am hoping to be fitting the cockpit together later but I have some spraying and hole drilling to undertake first. There is so much rigging and control cables to fit that I must ensure all the necessary holes have been made.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I carefully constructed a mold support from 'lego-ish' blocks, filled it with plastercene and embedded the DH2 propeller. I then built the walls up for the liquid rubber to be poured in. I opened the container with all my molding stuff in it, to find the tins had leaked and made a real mess. Took everything apart again, I will have to top-up my supplies at Telford! However, I am not going to bother making another prop. If the Revell DH2 gets finished, it can have the 2-bladed prop.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Firstly a bit of sanity and then into the depths of pure lunacy!!

I will continue with this Revell build, although I do not plan to complete every aspect, just those that will help me with the Eduard model. So, you can expect more detail but I will only do a fraction of the rigging, where I need to work out how to go about it. But, back, back, back - back to the sanity. The port side upper and lower wings on a DH2 were interchangeable, as were the starboard. To reflect that it is necessary to scribe 'join lines' on the upper and lower surface of the upper wing. On the lower surface the lines should be just outside the cabane struts fixing holes, on the upper surface they should mirror; the distance apart being 9mm. Of course, the line has gone straight through some rigging attachment holes!

Now on to the lunacy! The rudder and elevator control lines for the DH2 (real 'fly by wire'???) had to make to their respective control surfaces by a tortuous route avoiding the spinning prop. The inner rear struts supported the fairleads (early) and pulleys (later) through which passed the control cables. The rudder cables went outside the bottom of the strut and the elevator cables inside the top of the same strut. The pulleys were 2" in diameter, no problem in 1/72!

The first task was to drill 0.3mm holes in some thin styrene sheet.

I did more than I required.

After that they went through the punch/die set using a 0.8mm punch. creating tiny 'washers', which I thought might appear to be pulleys?

I then threaded the 'washer' onto some fine copper wire and, using an acupuncture needle, I twisted the copper wire leaving a small loop and the pulley at the end. The pulley does nothing, it is only there for cosmetics.
In this final view the 'control cable' has been passed through the copper loop and the pulley is sat just behind. I think this might be a step too far and I will stick with the copper loop only, especially as the outer pulley required the cable to pass out board of it.

Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Having primed the wings with Alclad primer/filler and them rubbed then smooth, I sprayed the upper and lower surfaces with colours darker than the end result - as to the accuracy of the upper colour - well prove me wrong!! Lol. Normally I would only apply paint to the lower surface of the upper wing and upper surface of the lower wing. Spent a bit of time yesterday masking off the ribs, they could be more accurately positioned, and will be when I build the Eduard model.
Oh, the little white dot on the 'floor' of the lower wing represents the compass.

If anyone has any great suggestions for cutting fine strips of masking tape to exactly the same width - I would appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Thanks.
Tony

Current build:

Return to “Workbench Window”