TeeELLs kitchen crafting kit creations

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: TeeELLs kitchen crafting kit creations

Post by TeeELL »

Greg,
nice to hear from you. You were about to get a mention in this post! By 'fire wires' do you mean the Jet-pipe temperature probes?

So..... Apart from the DH2 kindly provided by Gregors, he included in the box a Revell Sopwith Camel and a Nieuport scout (this latter a bit 'battle damaged'!). I had cause to dig out the Camel and found that the wheel are an even closer match for the DH2 than those of the Demon (if Revell 'over scaled' those as well, I am sure I will be able to find something that will work, if the Camel makes it to the production line. It is unlikely at this stage as 29 Sqn was never issued with the Camel).

Another bit of interesting news is that, when I realised I needed a 4-bladed airscrew for the DH2, apart from requests in the 'Wanted section' I thought it worth a long shot and I contacted Eduard in the faint hope they might have one from their DH2 kit sitting under a bench somewhere! Well, today I received a very pleasant surprise, a quick search by Petra had revealed a single sprue for the DH2 which, by the most amazing piece of luck, included the airscrew. It is now on its way to me. I'll not count my chickens, but that is a great piece of good fortune and will assist in turning the sow's ear into a silk? (nah!) purse.

Just at the moment I am practicing airbrushing techniques on my Tiger Moth (used to prove my rigging skills) in order to create an acceptable interpretation of the CDL finish of the under surfaces. I should have got on with that but I was suckered onto the PC. I have to go and teach 'AIR POWER' to a bunch of Air Cadets this evening so my practice for today will have to be shelved!
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Roden 1:72 FWD
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Great looking JP3, sir!
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Sounds like you had a stroke of luck with the four blader. Nice one.
Incidentally the serial of yhe JP rang a bell in my admittedly confused mind. I thought I had seen it before (a definite as I have browsed the jet Provost heaven website loads of times) it's the one on display at Tucson Arizona.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

You should get extra points for modelling yourself in the Provost cockpit :grin:

Nigel
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's a very nice JP Tony, and a well deserved result!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

''All mistakes can be hidden with poor photography :-D ''
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Gregers, it is indeed! I have been in contact with them about it.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

One of the great advantages of this world of the interweb is that I can sit here typing things and adding photographs, pretending that I am making progress on a build. Of course, all I am really doing is avoiding the modelling bench (or kitchen table in my case). To delay doing anything meaningful, or in other words - putting off attacking the Revell DH2 with a razor saw - I will share with you the 'refurbished' Monosoupape 9 that will be fitted to the model. The original leaves a bit to be desired and a lot for the imagination!

How I am going to construct that without giving the carpet monster indigestion I have no idea. Wisely, the maker has supplied an extra 'pot' and several extra pushrods and valve rockers. I think the paint pigments are going to be thicker than the push rods!!
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

After posting my previous I felt compelled to get on and do something. I measured the drawings and the top of the cockpit and marked the spot to cut and the shaped line. Razor saw in hand I made the first cut!

You might be able to make out the pencil line - just below the rear indentation for the cabane strut. The curved line on the aircraft marks where the fuselage is shaped around the cabane strut fixing point. So the kit cabanes affix to the wrong place.

In this view I have finished the cut and also remove a little bit of material from the bottom corner to make filing the compound curve easier.

I have completed the compound curve and also removed the molded-on tank restraint straps. You can see that the rear 'D' shaped recess for the cabane struts has all but disappeared but that there is an equivalent place where the curve starts.

The front of the cockpit has been fixed in place temporarily with PVA and tape so that I can get a few measurements. The rear of the fuselage sides have been shaped to match the original, the top length of the side is about 1mm longer than the fuselage top so that it will provide the securing point for the cabane. The 'blob' over the D indentation is filler made from liquid glue and melted sprue from the kit. I realised I hadn't filled the little bits left of the rear 'D' and that has now been rectified. I will leave these to dry, thoroughly, over the weekend. I plan to thin down the sides (although I might replace them with thin plasticard) in order to do some internal structure; there will be no pilot in this model so the interior will be visible.
Tony

Current build:
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Knowing the size (or lack of aforementioned) of this kit that is pretty delicate work. And that's before you start the engine!
I forgot to mention on my previous post it is indeed those wires. attached to a circuit box just inside the tail end stbd side of the JP, that lead to the temp probes. fiddly and awkward those were to attach.

Back to the DH. This is going to look superb. Hats off to you sir.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Jet to stringbag then, Tony, very interesting and indeed that is delicate work with the razor saw.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Super Jet Provost Tony. I like the training schemes very much.

You are a brave man doing the Revell DH2. Lots of fiddly bits and you are not joking about all the rigging. I have one in the stash and although I really like the DH2, the all tiny fiddly struts and rigging, is chasing me away. Looking forward to seeing your work on this one. :grin:
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I have done a little more work on the DH2. The side panels have been thinned so I can add some internal detail, the top of the fuel tank has been added to the fuselage, needs shaping once the glue is dry. Finally a chunk of lower wing centre section has been removed as this doesn't exist on the real thing.

The excess glue on the forward floor extension is from the previous builders efforts.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Frustratingly, Photobucket has decided it doesn't want to play so I cannot place any images here. I've no idea what to use as an alternative - Google offers some options but I just want something that does what it says on the tin - don't want to back refer to flicker or whatever etc!! Grrrrrr.
Tony

Current build:
iggie

Post by iggie »

try the post image facility using the button below the reply text box
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Ah! Now I had not spotted that before!
Tony

Current build: