TeeELLs kitchen crafting kit creations

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
dollar19
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: TeeELLs kitchen crafting kit creations

Post by dollar19 »

Awwwww Photobucket! What a frustrating experience that can. 30 minutes to up load one picture, watching the little wheel go round and round. But the advertisements are running absolutely perfect.

Love that model TeeEll!! The paint looks perfect.

Greg
iggie

Post by iggie »

Yep, looking very sharp indeed (pig's are back)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

With some trepidation, I sprayed the under-wing fuel tanks with primer (not the same one I used on the aircraft). I subsequently masked and sprayed the upper surgace grey. I decided to complete one as 'faded' and the other as a new replacement. On removing the masking tape the primer stayed in place!! Next job is to complete the aluminium lower surfaces.

The Firestreak missiles were primed in white and subsequently airbrushed in satin white.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Great work on the Javelin Tony. The camo is very nicely done. How did you get the roundels to settle over the vortex generators?
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Paul,
I used Microset (the blue one?) to position the decals. I then used Microsol to soften the decals, I used a foundation application sponge which I rolled rearwards over the decals, pressing down. The decals are slightly distorted, but no noticeably so, all I have to do is paint the white and blue on the vortex generators. All in all, it was easier than I had anticipated.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

A couple of weeks ago I was in HobbyCraft, Swindon to buy some Tamiya paint. There was an elderly couple discussind the paints and, when I reached for those I required, sought my opinion - which was favourable. We discussed 'cabbages and kings' and, bye and bye, established that 'he' had a garden model railway and that we lived only 10 minutes walk away (for our transcontinental cousins, walking is what you do to get to your car :-) !!
Anyway (having offended all you 'Trumptonians' - sorry) I was invited to visit. To cut a long story short, he had a box of 100 figures, bought from China, for peanuts to populate his railway (about 75mm tall -the figures that is). Anyway, I thought I would borrow 3 and practice some painting skills. The point to this is:

Figures were painted using Tamiya acrylics and I sprayed one, which had dried thoroughly for 24 hrs, with Humbrol acrylic varnish (from a can). The figure fell off the support onto the floor and when I retrieved it I found the paint coming off onto my fingers! That figure has been cleaned back to bare plastic and I have to start again. Bottom line: beware Humbrol acrylic varnish and Tamiya acrylic paints!
Tony

Current build:
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

TeeELL wrote:Paul,
I used Microset (the blue one?) to position the decals. I then used Microsol to soften the decals, I used a foundation application sponge which I rolled rearwards over the decals, pressing down. The decals are slightly distorted, but no noticeably so, all I have to do is paint the white and blue on the vortex generators. All in all, it was easier than I had anticipated.
Great idea Tony. I never thought about using a foundation sponge to press the decal down but I will have to give it a try. I will get my wife to go in to get it though. :lol:
Paul

TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Oh Paul, don't be a wusss! If I asked my ''er in doors' to get all the 'female' stuff I use in modelling, she would get no peace. Do you honestly thing the sales assistant gives a damn about who you are and what you are buying???
Tony

Current build:
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

No fear of offending me! I despise the wanker! I would use an colonial phrase but I'd get banned!

I'm going to try a cosmetics sponge tomorrow that's a great idea !!
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

TeeELL wrote:Oh Paul, don't be a wusss! If I asked my ''er in doors' to get all the 'female' stuff I use in modelling, she would get no peace. Do you honestly thing the sales assistant gives a damn about who you are and what you are buying???
Tony, your shaming me into going in! :grin: Actually, my best tweezers come from the make-up department. You say you get other stuff there. Just out of curiosity what other stuff have you found useful?

Cheers,
Paul

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The pics are back! great stuff and that is a natty looking build Tony. I've bought stuff from the chick's counter before - those buffing files the ladies use for their nails are very useful as are those large soft brushes that are designed for foundation application (I think :???: ) which I have used to carefully dust models.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Firstly to answer PGAS' enquiry: you might recall, perhaps 3 years ago, a sudden appearance of foundation applied with what amounts to, a miniature paint roller. I thought I might find the 'roller' useful for applying the paint on raised detail (eg scale model brick work). It is sitting waiting for me to create with such material - to be honest, I bought that on evil-bay as the shop products were seriously expensive!

Moving on - which the Javelin is doing!! As I type this, I am waiting for the coats of Humbrol clear matt to dry, all looks OK :-). Once fully dry, I will start the final stages of construction and, who knows, I could be complete tonight. Last night, I turned a couple of lengths of acrylic rod to make the wing navigation lights, painted with clear red and green, they look quite effective. The tail light was finished using the moulded in parts. I painted the flat rear face silver and then applied a small blob of Lazer-light glue - it worked well so an 8 second 'zap' had the blob cured and a clear lens formed.

This photo shows the parts remaining to be fitted, I have to file a flat on the aftermarket pitot tubes, which I will get on with in just a moment.

As you can see, the canopy was re-masked prior to the application of matt varnish.
Tony

Current build:
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Coming right along. Your really making this a first rate build. The paint work looks great.

Speaking of cosmetic counter products, I have used brown eye shadow for exhaust stains. Of course I didn't mention it to my wife, and I made sure she was out of the house at the time.
Marek

Post by Marek »

Beautiful paintjob so far. For an old Airfix/Heller, they build up nicely.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Sorry, I have forgotten to post a few stages in the construction.

Here, the, is the Javelin finished!! Yes, finished.

Were I to tackle this again I would use the Airfix kit as the base model, remove the raised panel detail and re-scribe the major panels, use the rear fuselage from a Frog FAW9 (correct shape) and shim the outboard wing sections such that their section (T/C ratio) matched that of the inboard section. However, I have no plans to do that! I still have 7 or 8 29(F) Sqn aircraft to build and 5 Cuban MiGs.

That is all for now folks. When I return from my canal boat adventure, I will be building a model of the JP3 in which I went first solo.
Tony

Current build:

Return to “Workbench Window”