TeeELLs kitchen crafting kit creations

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: TeeELLs kitchen crafting kit creations

Post by TeeELL »

A few more guides on this DH2. The tail-plane, as previously mentioned, is about 2 mm to deep in the chord - towards the leading edge (if you add this the main-planes being about 2 mm too deep in the chord at the trailing edge, you can see how the stance of the model is not quite so 'wrong' as my earlier observations suggested).

In this image the leading edge of the tail-plane has already been trimmed back by about 2 mm and the outer edges need filing to the correct planform. I am not going to bother correcting the trailing edge though - it is not as bad as it looks, the angle of the photo makes it look worse.

The position for the tail booms to affix to the tail-plane was determined by using a scale drawing. The upper booms attach to the frame-work of the tail-plane at the latter's leading edge., I left a little over a mm of boom protruding behind the rear struts to fix to the tail-plane but that required filing a groove in the under-surface of the tail-plane to accept that extension. The leading edge of the tail-plane should align with the trailing edges of the 2 rearmost struts.

A big challenge is setting the rigging angle of the tail-plane, especially whilst the booms are off the aircraft. In the end, I determined that a support 3mm (1/8") high to support the tail-plane level should suffice. With the 3mm support and the tail-plane positioned upside down upon it, I presented the upper booms such that the leading edge of the tail-plane was aligned with the trailing edge of the rear most struts.

With the booms taped in place the tail-plane geometry seemed satisfactory

With everything in place and looking right, I removed the first tape and 'Blue-light' glued the boom, I worked around the aircraft and completed the assembly.:

You should be able to make out that the tail-plane is pretty much parallel with the fuselage, also note that however carefully you measure, it is still all too easy to get it wrong!! In this instance, the gap between the base of the rudder and the connecting point of the lower booms should be about 0.5mm!!

Head-on it looks OK, everything seems square.

Having made the gravity fuel tank, I thought I had better mount it.

Now, I do not propose to do much more work on this model as I have to get on with others. I shall do a little work on correcting the undercarriage as the rear fixing point is about 2mm behind the wing spars, to which is should be attached. Thus the front leg needs shortening very slightly, the rear leg more so, but the angle needs correcting as well. Even if you leave the struts 'as is' they do not fit correctly! I will also be doing some experimenting on rigging - in particular the tail booms.
Ultimately, if anybody is desperate for a part built DH2, I may well offer it - it will be for free, not least because there is much still to do to finish it and also because I was given it in the first place.

I must pack a few models for Telford, as I will be spending the weekend there. I may pop the DH2 in, so if you want to see the real thing then look for me at the SWINDON stand. That said, I may well be wandering around 'wide-eyed' at the mountains of plastic and displays of modelling skill I will never achieve!!
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Some fantastic work going on here.
Hope to see you at Telford, will be on the Cold War stand
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I have arrived at Telford and my IPMS group (Swindon) have their stand bang in the middle of hall 2. I decided to bring my Jet Provost, and 29(F)Sqn Siskin, Bulldog, Meteor and Javelin. I have the Revell DH2 as well, so if you are there and want to see it, discuss it or whatever then as at the Swindon table. TeeELL = Tony Little. If I am wandering then I may well be wearing a black leather flying jacket with RAF wings and my name. If it is hot then a 29(F) Sqn t-shirt with 'veteran' on it.
Tony

Current build:
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

TeeELL wrote: Image
Thought I was looking at a pair of Bono's glasses for a moment there :grin:
It's all coming together nicely.

Nigel
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I have decided that I need a change of direction. I recently discovered that the Cuban Revolutionary Air Force had flown the T6 Texan. I have the Heller kit and have started working on it.
Tony

Current build:
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

I just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed your posts on the DH 2. Not that those are easy to find out my way, but even if they were the layout scares me off because it seems so impossible to get square. Should I come across a DH 2 I'll try to take courage from your master class.

Will be much looking forward to your Cuban T-6. That's one under-represented air force for sure.

The Great Auk
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

The DH 2 will be looked at as previously promised, I needed something else to get on with, something meaningful to add to my collection.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I recently discovered that the Cuban Revolutionary Air Force took over a number of T-6G Texan training aircraft. One aircraft is/was on display at the Air Museum near Havana (unfortunately, it seems that the museum is closed). A quick look for the Academy kit proved fruitless but the Heller version (from which it was copied) was available for 'not a lot'. I also purchased the Pavla cockpit upgrade although I am not convinced it is very accurate but it does busy-up the otherwise sparse cockpit.

The fit appears reasonable but I daresay I will discover that filler will be required. The raised panel detail has been removed from the wings and I have re-scribed the panels, more correctly, on the Port upper wing, thus far. (I am now dreading the re-scribe of the Javalin!!!)

Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I did some additional work last week but circumstances prevented me from photographing and uploading the results. Nothing spectacular though.

The appropriate 'bits' received a coat of cockpit green, although I might put a coat of 'zinc oxide' over the undercarriage bays, in hind sight.

The cockpit tub had received a coat of Humbrol enamel bright aluminium prior to the Tamiya cockpit green, when the green was dry I used an earbud dipped in isopropyl alcohol to remove green from high spots to give an impression of wear. Given that the aircraft were ex-Batista (USA supported) and became revolutionary Air Force aircraft, they probably didn't receive quite the same level of TLC so general wear and tear was probably very evident?

I also dug out the punch set and produced a couple of 0.8mm disks to add either side of the propeller hub to represent the feathering counterweights.

Tony

Current build:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

An interesting build, Tony. I like the attention to detail with those feathering counterweights!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy Tell,well tidy indeed.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Shaun,
They are there only because: the prop of my 'Kingfisher' model has them moulded on, I had 5 mins to kill and I've a gizmo to punch out the disks. Otherwise I might not have bothered - but then again.........
Tony

Current build:
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Great work. The Heller Texan is a lovely little kit.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Greg, I am quite impressed with it. Shame about the raised panel lines although I have re-scribed those on the upper wings.
Tony

Current build:
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

I want to find a Texan as the movie Where Eagle Dare used them as stand in German fighters. I want to paint and decals as in the movie.

I could not find any but a small die-cast at Model land.

Return to “Workbench Window”