Flute's House of Ill Repute, re-built.

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Flute
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Flute's House of Ill Repute, re-built.

Post by Flute »

Nowt to add yet due to visiting small humans getting between me and the bench. But currently awaiting TLC are all the things from the old forum thread, a 1/72nd Concorde, and an Eduard 2F1 Camel.

Paul.
One cannot kill a horse with a flute.
Flute

Re: Flute's House of Ill Repute, re-built.

Post by Flute »

Here's some stuff - still working on a table downstairs until the dog is old enough to follow me upstairs. Final stages of assembling and decalling a High Planes B2 Canberra. The Concorde nose on the shelf above is awaiting some internal stuff under the shield before it gets finished off and attached to the rest of the beast. Still haven't worked out why I'm building it, or where to put it when done. Hidden in there somewhere to the right is an Eduard Ship's Camel about ready to put the top wing onto.

Paul.
Flute

Post by Flute »

Brilliant it ain't but done it is. Good kit (High Planes), good main decals (Modeldecal), rotten roundels and fin flashes (Model Alliance - out of register, and so translucent that the stripes show through even with the roundels doubled and a white backing disk added from stock). hought I'd try and get away with just painting the lights, but 'twas a bad move (especially since Canberra covers were clear, with a coloured bulb). Actually, I forgot to carve and add clear sprue until it was too late. Looks nice from a distance though. Oh, and despite 2 ounces of fishing weights in the front it's still a tail sitter.

Paul.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Glad to hear the kit is nice. I've got the all white B2 in my stash.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Flute

Post by Flute »

JamesPerrin wrote:Glad to hear the kit is nice. I've got the all white B2 in my stash.
I've done 2, and in both cases the hardest bit was digging out the excess plastic that had found it's way into one of the fuselage recesses that the wings slot into. Very limited run, but very nice detail, so long as you manage to preserve it, and no real problems allowing for the linited run. The main legs are moulded with their doors in place, but paint up quite nicely. Need some TLC to fit though, and there's no well detail, except for in the nose well which is a resin casting.

If you've looked at the instructions already you'll know that the parts supplied cover quite a few fishbowl marks with a bit of filling needed for the gaps and lines not appropriate for the one you want. Both kits I had included short and long starter cones as well as double and single direct vision panels on the vac main canopies.

Paul.
Flute

Post by Flute »

Bit more progress. Wingtip lights on the Albacore made from clear resin. The paint job will reduce them in size, and hopefully obscure the blob of paint representing the bulb a bit - this has been magnified somewhat by the resin. I also razor sawed the aileron breaks, although I won't deflect themm and cut out the handling recesses, later to have sprue grab bars added..

Finally declaring the paintjob on the Canberra T.4 to be goodennuf. The Milliput I used to reduce the opening so the canopy would fit hasn't cured, which is the first time that's happened to me. Was carefull, so time to throw the pack away. The practical upshot is that I can't get it acceptably smooth, which is why there won't be any closeups around the cockpit. Some of the knobbiness should disappear under the yellow dash lining which will be a decal.

Having some problems with the Model Alliance colour scheme - the profile differs a fair bit from the photos found on the Internet. This includes completely different placement of the upper wing roundels and red/white demarcation, but I'm not going to fix that now. I've already redone the red cheat line on the forward fuselage 3 times, and life's too short. Also need to search the decal dungeon for alternatives to the translucent, out of register and clolour bled Model Alliance cockades and fin flash.

Paul.
Flute

Post by Flute »

Brews wrote:That looks brilliant.

Thanks, but it's really not that good close up. The subject matter, though, really is brilliant.

Paul.
hamden
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by hamden »

Hi Paul

Great looking Canberra, nice colourful scheme.

Roger
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

the Canberra is looking sharp. I'm interested to see what it looks like decaled.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Stamford
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Stamford »

I want to see more of the Albacore - you don´t see many of those! I nearly got one a bit back.
running at the edge of their world
Flute

Post by Flute »

I hope to get the Canberra finished by the weekend, then I'll concentrate on the Albacore. There'll be a Walrus following right behind...........

Paul.
Flute

Post by Flute »

Earwig, oh. Eduard 2FI Camel, Profipack, OOB. Meant purely for relaxation, so used Humbrol 155 for PC10, but I think it's too green. Nonetheless, I think it looks okay.

This particular machine was one of only 2 that made it all the way back after a successful raid on the Zeppelin sheds at Tondern in 1918. Launched from HMS Furious and flown by Captain B.A.Smart. 2 zeppelins were toasted.

Paul.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Quality work!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
kruaxi
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by kruaxi »

It's true. Real quality work !
Salute e Latinum per tutti !
Flute

Post by Flute »

!Blush!

While the Albacore wings get sorted (both are banana shaped, so need spars inserting to straighten - I've tried hot water and flexing and it doesn't touch it), here are two Hawker Audaxes in 1/72nd. First photo is the inside of the Avis kit approaching readiness, 2nd has both fuselages drying out. The one in front is the AZModels kit, the rear is the Avis one. The top decking of the Avis effort is just sitting there to help hold things together. I'll trim a bit off the starboard side before gluing it in place.

I'm finding the Avis kit far better so far. AZ's is better moulded, but misses several details, while the Avis kit needs more TLC but so far looks better, compared to photos in the Mushroom Models Hart family book. Both kits are larger than the plan in the book, but I don't know how trustworthy that is.

Paul.

Return to “Workbench Window”