building query

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
alecras234
Active Participant

building query

Post by alecras234 »

Hi, just a question but the answer could help me a lot. I have built 3 model aircraft and it still feels daunting to go up to my bench to do some modelling, so nothing gets done. It takes a long time to finish a model as i don't do anything for weeks. My mate builds models, he isn't experienced nor am i experienced but he's quick at putting parts together. He glues the parts onto the model unpainted, i tried building without painting parts first and felt that the pieces stick better unpainted. I started building the cockpit of a Messerschmidt 110 unpainted, i haven't glued the seats in yet as i want to paint the cockpit then glue the chairs and pilots onto the seats. What im asking is for aircraft models that i build should i build and paint the cockpit first then build it all unpainted? Paint it after building?
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: building query

Post by celt »

There is no right answer,some parts can be painted on the sprue and some need to be glued first.I tend to glue as much as I can first and then paint later.If you paint all the parts first, remember not paint the surfaces that need to be glued.The more planes you do,the better you will get.After awhile you will find a way that works for you.You might want to practice on a old model to find out which way suits you,most modellers use a combination of both painting first and gluing first,it depends on the model being built.Sorry I could not give a right or wrong answer,but I hope it helps you at least a little.Happy modelling.
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Re: building query

Post by Migrant »

Celt's right, there is no definitive method that applies to all. However it's generally easier to paint the cockpit parts and glue them together before installing it all in the fuselage. You're right that glue doesn't take to paint, so it may mean scraping the paint off the gluing surfaces, or use CA/superglue for attaching the painted parts. And don't worry about how long it takes you to build, most of us are pretty slow; it's not a race, better to take your time and end up with something you're really pleased with. Image

Return to “Workbench Window”