iggie's modelling table

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: iggie's modelling table

Post by Dazzled »

A cracking looking B-17 iggie and the 109 is coming on a treat 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Thanks Shaun and Daz!

A little more work last night saw some significant progress; supercharger bulges added to the fuselage, the stub upper wing surfaces and the whole lower wings added, including radiator grills and undercarriage bay walls. All very nicely detailed, and extremely well fitting :grin: The only detail missing are the canvas liners within the wheel wells. Oh, and if building this kit, another 'watch out for': don't forget to install the centre line radiator roof piece before gluing the fuselage halves together :shock:
Topside
U/C and radiator detail
Underside
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Marvellous, this really does look to be a great kit Iggie and it would appear that the wing leading edge slats are provided as separate pieces, praise be if that is so as it really adds to the detail and gives the kit a more accurate appearance than having the slats fully retracted. If I had room to display this model I would go out and buy one. I do aim to buy another of Revell's 1/48th '109 G-10 kits though - the kit is older and not really in the same league as this kit but IMHO is still a bit of a bargain late model '109 in quarter scale and provides a nice canvas to do as much or as little work as the modeller desires - a number of years ago I converted one into a '109K-4.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

The slats are indeed separate, and can be fitted open or closed. From the little research I've done, the slats were more often left open when the aircraft was at rest, so that's the way I'm heading.
The fit and design of the kit is excellent, and for the money it's beyond equal in my experience at this scale. The only down side is the lack of an engine, but if anyone wanted to add one I'm sure they're must be an aftermarket supply by now.
No progress tonight as we're on the boat :grin: First pint is already sunk :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
iggie

Post by iggie »

After the slight hiatus caused by taking the boat to The Boat on Friday night (our 'local' at Stoke Bruerne), I got back to the bench for a bit on Saturday and last night. More bits added to the wings, plus tail-plane, and two coats of light blue added to the underside and fuselage sides by brush.

Another heads-up for builders of this kit; I would add the outer wing upper pieces at the same time as the lower wing parts; the instructions would have you do this later, but there are locating pins that will not engage if you do it as instructed. Also, make up the centre flaps before completing the wing to ensure there is a gap for them to engage in their places properly. :evil:

Heading home Saturday morning; Ann is steering so I'm up the sharp end for once :grin:
Topside view
Underside view
Best wishes

Jim
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Lovely canal scene Iggie and the ,109 is looking excellent. The separate slats are a great detail point in this kit, which so many kits over the years have omitted and will really help the model to look realistic. It looks like the flaps also separate, which is also a good thing as many pics of parked later model '109s show the flaps down.

IPMS#12300
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Both subjects look fantastic. Appears you have struck a balance.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
chrism

Post by chrism »

iggie wrote: (our 'local' at Stoke Bruerne)
That one (and the Navi!!) ... across the county border for a man from MK :lol:

I wo't ask what is wrong with Black Horse or Galleon? :ha:
there was another one or two if I remember (towards where they built the hospital that was on canal) - Woolstone was it?
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
iggie

Post by iggie »

chrism wrote:
iggie wrote: (our 'local' at Stoke Bruerne)
the Navi!! it's across the county border for a man from MK :lol:

Wot about Black Horse or Galleon?
there was another one or two if I remember (towards where they built the hospital that was on canal) - Woolstone was it?
Are you local then Chris?

We moor near Castlethorpe, so have the Navigation immediately next to the moorings, but have only been in once since it was refurbished a couple of years ago as they seem to look down on boaters and charge too much for what they call beer (and everyone else calls .... :shock: ). There is the Barley Mow in Cosgrove, which is handy on a summer evening for a swift pint (and they serve a nice bitter or three). Our favourite and regular haunt is the Boat Inn in Stoke Bruerne though; dog friendly, boater friendly, lovely open fire in winter in the public bar and twice a year they hold a champagne dinner & reception which is a good excuse to get the DJ out of the loft and have too much to drink 8-) :grin: . There is also another Navigation at Stoke, but we have never been in there in four years of going up the canal; no real reason, that's just how it goes!

In Milton Keynes and on the cut are The Galleon (Old Wolverton, went there once and they'd run out of beer...I kid you not!), The Black Horse (Wolverton-ish; nice pint of Timothy Taylor and good steaks), the Gifford Park (Gifford Park.....never been in), The Nag's Head (Old Linford; 5 minute walk from the cut but cheap food and good bitter), The Barge and The Cross Keys in Woolstone (Both reasonable), and the Peartree Bridge Inn (Which is opposite the Hospital and next to MK Marina....used to be a Toby I think, but I've not been in there since about 1990!)
Best wishes

Jim
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I was in The Boat recently, not been to the Navigation for a few years though :cry:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Wow! You certainly seem to get your money's worth in that kit.
You have grubbed up the cockpit very well.

cheers,

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

Cheers David! There seem to be a few recent new releases from Revell in this scale that offer very good value for money; the Spit MkII, the FW-190 and this one for certain. When you compare them to the cost of a Wingnut Wheels kit, the cost per measure of plastic (grams or ounces) would seem to be even better value, with perhaps only slightly lower engineering and quality standards 8-)

Some more work has resulted in the following:
Undercarriage now assembled and in place; it looks horrid at that angle but it's correct! Prop fully assembled and placed (not yet glued and it may not need gluing anyway) on the spindle; it goes round nicely with a gentle puff :grin:
I drilled out the centre spindle to represent the M/G fitted through the engine, but forgot to paint it!
Interestingly the prop can be built with functioning feathering; in this shot the blades are turned to the fully feathered position....I have no idea why this was given as an option but it's a nice touch! 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wow, an impressive front end Iggie (ooeer madam!). The feathering prop feature is unusual, "working" features and the compromise they can often make to the fit of a kit, are thankfully rare these days. I can't say that I've seen a photo of a parked '109 with the prop feathered and, aside from maintenance, thought the prop would be put into that position only when the aircraft had suffered a catastrophic engine failure, in order to reduce drag and buy the pilot some time.

IPMS#12300
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's looking really nice iggie - I love the B-17!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Nice work, Iggie. Your 109 is looking very good.

Return to “Workbench Window”