iggie's modelling table

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: iggie's modelling table

Post by iggie »

Cheers guys!
I model in the lounge so that Mrs iggie and I are not separated by our hobbies. It also means the dogs are around too and usually the cat as well. It doors mean the odd stay pet hair creeps into paintwork on occasion but I'd rather that than be locked away in another room elsewhere in the house.

Iwo Jima and my other 1/350th ships will be housed in an as yet unbuilt display case which will be mounted on my office wall.... she will be the biggest so far but there are others in the stash that are longer!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

iggie wrote:
Sir T wrote:Great looking hull, your dogs appear to be really impressed (is one of the a Greyhound?).

That AV-8B looks fun, but I bet it'll look good under paint - How many does the kit have?

Cheers

Stuart
The only time the dogs take notice of my modelling is when I drop or break something.... then they run and hide! :grin:
Jet (the black one) is a whippet saluki cross, so a posh lurcher :-D Patch is a Jack Russell and Japanese Akita cross :shock:

I think there are 4 AV8s in the box plus Ospreys and Blackhawks, in addition to various vehicles and landing craft. Lots to build while destroying my eyesight!
Sounds Like a fun pair iggie!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

''All mistakes can be hidden with poor photography :-D ''
iggie

Post by iggie »

Sir T wrote:
iggie wrote:
Sir T wrote:Great looking hull, your dogs appear to be really impressed (is one of the a Greyhound?).

That AV-8B looks fun, but I bet it'll look good under paint - How many does the kit have?

Cheers

Stuart
The only time the dogs take notice of my modelling is when I drop or break something.... then they run and hide! :grin:
Jet (the black one) is a whippet saluki cross, so a posh lurcher :-D Patch is a Jack Russell and Japanese Akita cross :shock:

I think there are 4 AV8s in the box plus Ospreys and Blackhawks, in addition to various vehicles and landing craft. Lots to build while destroying my eyesight!
In the words of Tina Turner, they are simply the best...... :grin: :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

iggie wrote:
Sir T wrote:
iggie wrote:

Cheers

Stuart

In the words of Tina Turner, they are simply the best...... :grin: :grin:
:-D

iggie

Post by iggie »

As I had to put Iwo Jima away yesterday for safety while mummy one grandson visited, I got another Bandai mini kit out to keep me busy :grin:
This one is the Y-Wing fighter and the detail in the party's is simply astounding!
Progress so far after about twenty minutes:

I love these kits!
Best wishes

Jim
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Bandai certainly go to town with the detail on those kits, Iggie. Plenty there to keep a painter happy!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

They certainly do! Some of the pipework is actually moulded in full rather than just in relief :shock:

Fully assembled:

Best wishes

Jim
iggie

Post by iggie »

Painting commences; various metallics applied with Tamiya Smoke overall, some clear blue on the trail pipes and a black wash on the steering vanes etc.
A coat of matt white on the fuselage and engine front covers...... more tomorrow hopefully. 4 hours work so far; I really need to use one of these as a Blitz subject :grin:

Best wishes

Jim
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Hooley Dooley!
That is looking good!

David
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Excellent stuff. That looks fantastic and its not finished yet!
Cheers
Ian

Please click on the web link below to have a look at all my photo's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ecirpnai/albums
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Wow that heavy metal really pings out. You should do a tutorial on that.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
iggie

Post by iggie »

Thanks gents! :grin:

To be honest, I'm really pleased with the way the detail works on these Bandai kits; all I did with this one was to paint all the metal areas with Humbrol Gunmetal acrylic (53), then pick out various pipework, covers etc. with a mixture of Tamiya and Humbrol metallic acrylics; Tamiya Chrome, Titian Silver and Flat Aluminium and Humbrol Antique Brass and Copper. I also added a little bright red to one or two pipes just for variety.
Once dry, a coat of Tamiya Smoke was applied overall, with random dabs applied as a second coat in some places, really to deepen the shadow where the paint collects into the recesses. I used Tamiya clear blue to add some heat colouration onto the 'exhaust' nozzles, and then everything aft of the jet pipes got a home brew wash of black pastel chalk dust mixed with Tamiya thinners (X20) to represent soot and such.
That is honestly all there is to it; it does need pin sharp detail to work though, otherwise it all tends to come out a bit uniform... :grin:

The next stage is to add the yellow bands to the fuselage; there are stickers in the kit for this, but not decals. I'll take a view as to whether I'm going to paint them or use the stickers :roll:
Best wishes

Jim
iggie

Post by iggie »

And we're done :-D

I painted the yellow on the fuselage and used thin decals for the yellow bands around the engine front ends. A dark wash was put on the fuselage, wiped off with a damp tissue and then a coat of matt varnish on top of everything

And all my little Star Wars kits together:

Best wishes

Jim
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Excellent. I am going to have a go at building one these.
Cheers
Ian

Please click on the web link below to have a look at all my photo's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ecirpnai/albums
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Very cool iggie!

Return to “Workbench Window”