iggie's modelling table

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: iggie's modelling table

Post by iggie »

Softscience wrote:It is beginning to look a bit busier. This should be a visually interesting model once all is said and done. Are you going to give the hull and island walls a gray wash to bring out the finer details?
It's going to get my usual gloss varnish and then a mix of Flory washes which should bring up the detail nicely. There was a picture of one of the big US flat tops in Portsmouth harbour recently and there was more rust than paint! :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Looks excellent Iggie.
Cheers
Ian

Please click on the web link below to have a look at all my photo's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ecirpnai/albums
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Just gone through a few back pages here, crazy carrier - that would take me a lifetime to complete!
running at the edge of their world
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

I too am just catching up - you have done a great deal since I last dropped by. Some of the details are truly impressive - I completely agree about what you have written about the PE. It really works well on those radar antannae. Overall this is turning into a very impressive piece.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Cheers folks, I must admit that this one has turned out to be a bit of a slog and motivation has been hard to come by sometimes; your kind comments help greatly!
Onwards and upwards, the superstructure is now largely complete; there are a couple of PE handrails to add and tighten it can be vanished ready for washes. Next will be the hull bottom colour and boot line and PE handrails and netting to the walkways before it in turn gets vanished and weathered. The end is in sight! Well, apart from about thirty odd assorted vehicles, amphibians and aircraft!

We had a trip out on the boat Saturday up to Stoke Bruerne for dinner and then slept on-board before returning Sunday...
A couple of pictures:
Sunrise Sunday
A pair of young swans on final approach for landing:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

This carrier looks amazing so far, Iggie, nice! That island looks like a ship all on its own.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great job, Iggie. PE is without a doubt extremely useful for ship builds - the antennae and railings look the business. Nice shots from HMS Iggie too :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

iggie wrote: Sunrise Sunday
A pair of young swans on final approach for landing:
Seriously good shippery going on here Iggie.

Btw, re the swans, Did you know that swans sometimes....errr....relieve themselves in mid-air?

Many moons ago I was working as part of a team taking depth readings at Hogganfield Loch. I was in the middle of a 12 foot boat, rowing. There was one guy at the bow sounding the depth with a plumb line and another at the stern writing down the readings. It was not exactly exciting and I was idly watching some flying swans approaching and thinking how much their deep bodied shape resembled Sunderland flying boats from head on, and thought, "If this was a U-boat, all Hell would be breaking loose now!" Little did I know I was about to get the full 'FLIEGER ALARM!' Experience. The lead swans legs began to swing out.. 'Like bomb doors'... I thought, just as it released its load. ( Think a Great Dane that has had a bad curry! :shock: ) My sudden acceleration sent the other guys into the scuppers as I desperately tried to outrun what was starting to resemble extremely well aimed cluster bombs. Fortunately the only casualty was the guy at the stern whose sleeve got tagged. That's why I now watch the likes of Das Boot, nodding sagely like a veteran.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
iggie

Post by iggie »

Purplethistle wrote:
Btw, re the swans, Did you know that swans sometimes....errr....relieve themselves in mid-air?

Many moons ago I was working as part of a team taking depth readings at Hogganfield Loch. I was in the middle of a 12 foot boat, rowing. There was one guy at the bow sounding the depth with a plumb line and another at the stern writing down the readings. It was not exactly exciting and I was idly watching some flying swans approaching and thinking how much their deep bodied shape resembled Sunderland flying boats from head on, and thought, "If this was a U-boat, all Hell would be breaking loose now!" Little did I know I was about to get the full 'FLIEGER ALARM!' Experience. The lead swans legs began to swing out.. 'Like bomb doors'... I thought, just as it released its load. ( Think a Great Dane that has had a bad curry! :shock: ) My sudden acceleration sent the other guys into the scuppers as I desperately tried to outrun what was starting to resemble extremely well aimed cluster bombs. Fortunately the only casualty was the guy at the stern whose sleeve got tagged. That's why I now watch the likes of Das Boot, nodding sagely like a veteran.
Thanks for this snippet of useful info! I wasn't aware of this trait of swan behaviour before, and will take avoiding action (such as is possible in a narrow canal) when we are overflown by them in future. Looks like the Bofors mounted on the roof might be an option after all :-D

As far as the size of the Island goes, this was the picture I posted when the hull was first assembled; on the deck is a 1/350 scale Corvette, and below it you can see the outline of the location for the superstructure. In fact, the superstructure is another inch longer even than the outline seen!
Best wishes

Jim
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

This ship grows more impressive with each post :mrgreen:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Iggie she's a stunner! All the photo etch and detail work is definitely paying off. A night on the canal. Many a happy time when I was younger night fishing on the Shropshire Union Canal near the Seven Arches railway bridge just outside of Chester. Thats one of things I miss living up in the North East and that is walking on the towing path to pub and back trying not to fall in or getting attacked by the swans!
Cheers
Ian

Please click on the web link below to have a look at all my photo's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ecirpnai/albums
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wow, the corvette certainly gives a sense of scale as indeed does the carver chair. Iwo is a big girl, that's for sure!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Iggie, are you seriously building that on your narrow boat? I thought I was bonkers last year building a 1/72 Mustang, what with packing everything away every evening!
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Roden 1:72 FWD
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
iggie

Post by iggie »

Fortunately I'm not building Iwo on the boat, Great Escape is only twelve times longer than the model :shock: :-D :-D

Now I'm back working on the hull, her size becomes alarmingly apparent again! I've masked and painted the lower hull colour, using Revell Rust applied with a wide soft brush..... it took two coats but it's covered nicely. I'll let it dry overnight and then mask up again for the boot line. I've also put some washes on the superstructure and will give that a spray of matt varnish to fix it before photographs :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Inspiring build going on here!
Keep that mojo alive!

David

Return to “Workbench Window”