iggie's modelling table

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Re: iggie's modelling table

Post by Narayan »

You're making great progress Iggie. As you mentioned the plywood effect really has come out well. I'm making a note of any challenges you come across so I'll remember for mine in the future.

He's experienced about as much pain and suffering as anyone I've encountered, give or take, and he still has Hell to look forward to.

A:B 2017 0:0 2016 27:10 2015 53:07 2014 21:04 2013 39:12 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 332:84
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Another little thing to watch out for is the wing locating pin at the centre of the wing leading edge; the pin is too long and the socket also seems to foul the wing mating surfaces, resulting in a large gap along this portion of the leading edge. I cut the pin down by half, and sanded the socket down to just below the level of the adjacent mating surface and it seems to have removed the problem
Wing overview; pin/socket at centre of leading edge
Close-up of pin and socket
Wheel well detail once assembled (around eight parts in each housing :shock: ) and given a coat of Tamiya flat aluminium and smoke
Wings on :grin:
Engines assembled, exhaust collector ring and supercharger pipework added and nacelles fitted. I have used the option of extended radiator flaps as the aircraft will be on the ground and therefore need the engines to be able to breath & cool
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Very nice iggie. How was the fit of the wings to the fuselage? It looks good.

Anyone who spends a significant amount of time with me finds me disagreeable.

A:B 2017 0:0 2016 27:10 2015 53:07 2014 21:04 2013 39:12 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 332:84
iggie

Post by iggie »

Narayan wrote:Very nice iggie. How was the fit of the wings to the fuselage? It looks good.

Anyone who spends a significant amount of time with me finds me disagreeable.

Pretty good really, some gentle pressure and plenty of liqid poly worked nicely :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good to see you with a thread on this section Iggie - I used to dot builds around a bit but after a while I found it worked better for me just keeping the whole lot (which isn't that much!) centred around the one WW thread. Anyway, it's really great to see one of the new tool Airfix B-17's on the go and there is enough detail OOB there to satisfy most of us I think. That van der Rosten plywood decal (aimed primarily at WW I biplane builders perhaps?) is very effective.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Great progress iggie. I hope some of that fantastic detail remains visible when everything is closed up 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Funny you should say that about the detail, I suspect a great deal of it will become 'I know it's there' type detail once the build is completed; although there is a fair bit of glass in a B17, it doesn't offer much of a view inside.....which given the need to see what was roaring in to try and knock you out of the sky kind of makes sense! However, I will have the pictures to prove it was there :-D
This is a view from the tail looking forward; the ball turret support and radio sets are visible
Progress from last night: a lot of masking done, and glazing installed. Nose side pieces are clear and have to be painted internally first, then masked externally, likewise the cockpit glazing and tail cone/gun housing. Unfortunately, other than cutting the gun barrels off, I'll have to try and mask them as the guns have to be installed with their respective mountings in most cases

Best wishes

Jim
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

This is shaping up to be a bit of a cracker.
Perhaps you could put a sleeve of white tac around the guns.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This has built up into a great looking model Iggie. It looks like it could be a bit of a challenge to avoid continually knocking off or otherwise damaging the gun barrels during the painting phase though. I recall with the new tool Lanc it was possible to build the model up minus the gun turrets, which made life a lot easier. Perhaps see if you can get the masking on the turrets, around the barrels and then repaint the barrels once the airframe painting is done.

IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

I forgot to mention that the forward upper turret can be removed even with the cockpit roof/glazing in place, so I'll take it out and cover the hole before painting.
The gun barrels will get covered with earth sleeving beforehand and touched in at their base if necessary
Best wishes

Jim
59North

Post by 59North »

Your doing fine work on this admirable project, iggie.
Frankly, I have models back in the boxes because it's time for extensive canopy masking. Just don't like it.
Cut up drinking straws often work well for slipping over gun barrels and antenna's.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I find the key to masking up canopies is plenty of strong light, good glasses, a brand new scalpel blade and Tamiya tape (no other brand really does it for me)....oh, and a lot of patience :-D
Otherwise, I leave them off while spraying and use painted scotch tape to make narrow strips which are then applied like decals and sealed with varnish....
To be fair, the B-17 doesn't have that much to mask, the nose glazing can be left off as well as the upper turret, and the ball turret has to be painted before insertion anyway.
So here we are now, ready for spraying in black as a primer/undercoat before AK Interactive metallic is used for the NMF:
I have used sponge foam to fill openings, and kitchen towel cut into circles to cover the engines in each nacelle. Progress may stall at this point as I need to bash out a quick Zero in the GB, and ideally make a start on my Matchbox kit for the other GB..... :shock:

Best wishes

Jim
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nicely done, that little lot should prevent any paint from going where it shouldn't!

IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

great build i don`t know much about planes i just know what i like and i am liking this one can i ask where you got the plywood decals from as they look stunning
iggie

Post by iggie »

syd-baines wrote:great build i don`t know much about planes i just know what i like and i am liking this one can i ask where you got the plywood decals from as they look stunning
The decals are by Uschi van der Rosten, and I got mine from here: http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/1-72-wo ... osten.html although as they say, other suppliers are available :-D
They do a range of ply and planking decals, and to be honest I'm beginning to think which other models I can use them on as they look fab!
Best wishes

Jim

Return to “Workbench Window”