iggie's modelling table

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: iggie's modelling table

Post by iggie »

Cheers everyone! :grin: Nothing to report of late really, I have painted and applied wood decals to all the struts and u/c supports; these now need a splash of clear orange to bring them out a bit. It's been too hot though for modelling this week so it's going to be next week before I get back on the bench as other (real life) comittments beckon :shock: 8-)
gbrwn56 wrote:Really stunning work, how do you get the wood effect please? Thanks for sharing.
Hi George,

I first of all paint the prop in Revell aqua 'wood' brown, although a generally sandy brown will do. Then I used 0.8mm masking tape to produce parallel lines along the length of the prop on each side. This is then over painted with (in this case) Humbrol 'Leather' (62 I think) although other props had a greater contrast between the laminations so a darker brown would be more usual..... Masking tape is then removed, and a coat of Tamiya clear yellow, then two of Tamiya Clear Orange are applied allowing each to dry fully between coats. Et Voila!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
iggie

Post by iggie »

We had a little time out over the last few days to go to Braunston for the annual historic boat gathering on Saturday and Sunday 24th/25th June. this involved a couple of days leisurely cruising up the Grand Union in time to get to Top Lock at Braunston by Friday evening, and an equally leisurely return leaving on Sunday morning.
We left in 33 degree heat on wednesday evening, and decided not to even attempt the Stoke Bruerne locks in that heat, so walked up to the Boat Inn for dinner and beer :grin: , before coming up the locks the next morning and transiting Blisworth Tunnel (1.75 miles/2.8km) and then travelling at our usual sedate 3mph to Whilton. we moored overnight, then climbed the seven locks towards Norton Junction, and Braunston Tunnel (1.2miles/1.9km) before mooring just above the locks that take you down to Braunston.
All told, we travelled a total of 50 miles, (of which nearly six were in tunnels :shock:) and negotiated 28 locks. I didn't note how much beer was consumed, but it was substantially more than our diesel consumption :-D
We also had a bit of an unexpected drama; our exhaust pipe split, leaking fumes into the engine bay and potentially the rest of the boat. I spotted (and heard) the problem immediately I started the engine, so we stopped it again, and investigated. The split was in part of the 'flexi' between the exhaust manifold and the silencer so could be repaired......bring on the empty can of custard from the night before, a Sprite can, six jubilee slips and some exhaust heat bandage and a tube of high heat silicon kept for (mostly) just this kind of thing
The split
custard tin :lol:
the repair 8-)
And this is our elderly engine, a Sabb 2HG 18hp (although I think at least a couple of the horses have gone to the knackers :roll: ) made, according to Sabb in Norway circa 1950
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy repair iggie.
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Works! I've done that many times to an old Honda I used to have.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Marvellous exhaust work, Iggie. Reminds me of repairing a Honda XL-125 trail bike exhaust with a Heinz baked beans tin in the early 80's :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

It's something I watched my old man do on a variety of old cars we owned, although he didn't have access to high temperature silicone back then of course! I think he used something called gun-gum or suchlike, but the tin can and jubilee clips are authentic :-D
Best wishes

Jim
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice repair. Try doing that on your modern automobiles.

Nigel
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Top bodging.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Nice pub, The Boat :drool2:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
iggie

Post by iggie »

Cheers guys :grin:
Ratch wrote:Nice pub, The Boat :drool2:
It is indeed Ratch, and certainly our favourite! Andrew and Lesley and their staff are fantastic hosts and we have made some great friends in the three years of going there with our boat.

Work has recommended on the Camel, top wing and undercarriage are now on

Best wishes

Jim
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I don't get there so often these days. The New Inn near Long Buckby/Buckby Wharf under the A5 is more local to me. Good beer and food last time I was there 8-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy Camel iggie.
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Looking good!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Camel is coming on very nicely, Iggie.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Assembly complete and we're ready for decals

Best wishes

Jim

Return to “Workbench Window”