Scratch-build 1/12th scale samurai

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Neil Wellman
Series 3 and Beyond

Scratch-build 1/12th scale samurai

Post by Neil Wellman »

I'm migrating this to workbench so I can show developments (and experiments).

For original posting see: http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=15328

This is where I left it off c45 years ago.

Neil Wellman
Neil Wellman
Series 3 and Beyond

Re: Scratch-build 1/12th scale samurai

Post by Neil Wellman »

I've made some progress on the do (cuirass). I had thought of simply modelling it in DAS, Milliput or GS but ended up trying to fabricate it out of 1L yogurt pots (of which we have many) It's thinnish plastic, easily cut/drilled and very robust. The only issues are that it doesn't file very well and, as I discovered today, the printing forms a thin skin that easily lifts, so it'll be a lot of pre-painting prep. Not tried gluing yet. (I knew I should have bought some Plasticard!).

Anyway, the initial (very rough) results are shown below (held together with Blutack and Sellotape). I managed to get the typical slight bulge into the main breast and back plates by heating it over a tea candle then using an empty deodorant top as a former (Soft and Gentle since you ask). The results are still quite rough and I may use this as a proof of method and re-start with another one, but you'll get the idea.

NOW REPLACED PICS WITH ONES WITH A BLACK COAT JUST TO SEE HOW IT WORKS: SURFACE IS ROUGH AS HELL (AND THE DO HAS TENDED TO RISE UP FROM THE WAISTLINE... DOH!) BUT IT SEEMS AN OK METHOD (THO' I MAY STILL JUST MODEL IN A SUITABLE CLAY/POLYMER MIX).

Also shown are several experiments for making the gessan (tassets or skirt). So far I've tried:
> sculpting then using Blue Stuff to mould entire sections in one piece;
> sculpting individual lames then moulding on the odishi ito to assemble into full gessan later (braiding: the painted one is oversize but shows the idea);
> ditto but using 1mm cord (I found leather and waxed cotton, both are round so need squashing flat with pliers: even so, they're rather thick and the lames may not hang properly)
> ditto but using the trusty yogurt pot plastic (again problems with the hang and scale thickness

The original fabricated do is also shown (again held together with Sellotape)

In case you don't know how Japanese armour works this link http://daimyou-armor.com/kaga-2-iron-pl ... do-period/ show one in close up (though I'll be going for a simpler three vertical plate do). The drawing below shows the order of arming, so again is useful (as far as possible I'm building from lower levels out)..

The only problem is that matey ended up with severe nose damage (the pox?) so he'll need reconstructive surgery.

Neil Wellman
Stamford
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Scratch-build 1/12th scale samurai

Post by Stamford »

If you pick something up after 45 years you have to finish it!
running at the edge of their world

Return to “Workbench Window”