billyb_imp, a view into the shed

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: billyb_imp, a view into the shed

Post by skypirate »

Paint stages are looking promising!

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That really is looking good, Billy. From here the dark earth looks nice and smooth.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by billyb_imp »

Camouflage masking and painting done on the Hurricane Mk1 a bit of tidying up to do. I'm reasonably happy with this first attempt, I think I need to make the lines between the two colours more wavy and try to get them to match better with the paint plan within the instructions, but that will be for another model.

It may look a bit better with a few decals on to break them up a bit. So back to the build again tomorrow

A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A good effort, Billy. As much as anything here I think you have got the balance between the colours out a bit with the gaps between some of the camo bands being too wide - on the left hand side of the fuselage in particular. When masking up for hard edged camo schemes such as those used by the RAF, I find that it can be difficult to judge the width of the bands of colour and, as you have found, making the demarcations between the colours sufficiently "wriggly". IMHO there is no really quick way to learn this sort of thing and practice makes perfect(ish).

IPMS#12300
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Looking good Billy. Shaun makes a good point, but for now I wouldn't worry too much about it. You seem to have a good foundation of what you're try to do. As you know practice makes perfect.

One thing you might want to try on you're next camo scheme, would be to lightly draw in the demarcation lines with a pencil. Use the instruction sheet's painting guide and try to use panel lines as reference points. Then as you paint you can work the color up to the lines and you're good to go.

Or scan the paint guide and print it out and use that to cut out hard masks. Or trace them onto masking tape, cut the tape to follow your tracing. Then transfer the tape masks to the model, fill in the areas you don't want that color, and spray away.
As you can see there are all kinds of methods to paint camo, experiment see what works for you and practice. I for one use all the above methods I've described depending on complexity how many different color changes there are........or how industrious I'm feeling.

All that said, you're doing fine and keep at it!
Greg
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Excellent work Billy. I second the advice by both Shaun and Greg.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Thanks for the advice guys, I have found the camo effect a bit of a challenge and will try to put your advice into practice, trying various other methods, I have a spitfire to do same era, but may practice first on a few plastic bottles before starting that one
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Very good - much better than my recent efforts!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Hi Billy, I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread a little. The Ministry of Air Production (MAP) laid down the specifications for paint colours and patterns to be applied to RAF aircraft. A and B schemes were applied when camouflage was introduced in 1937. One was a mirror image of the other with the colours remaining the same, (If you hold a model up to a mirror you will see what I mean). It was applied to all types built during 1937/41. The reason for this was to avoid everything having identical shapes when seen from above. IIRC odd serial numbers were painted in the B scheme while even numbers got the A scheme. Usually the Dark Earth (DE) was sprayed over the airframe, then rubber masks laid on and the Dark Green (DG) oversprayed. After April 1941 only the A scheme was used. You will see the patterns in the painting instructions in most kits. Just to confuse the issue further, C and D schemes existed where the colours were reversed. It seems to have existed only for a short time although I have seen a photo of a Hurricane in 1943 with reversed colours. Also in North Africa all sorts of anomalies existed after local repainting.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy model of Hawkers finest.
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Been away from the modelling bench for a few weeks, work getting in the way, been down the shed this evening had a bit of a tidy, not sure where all the rubbish comes from but I can now get to the table, so, hopefully back into full swing with the hurricane on Saturday.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Rubbish (or extraneous matter as it is more likely to be :grin: ) is a self propagating phenomenon that will accumulate on, and around any modelling bench when left unattended for any time period at all.....in fact, I suspect it is capable of appearing even while the bench is in use... :shock:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's good to see you back, Billy. My workbench is like a bombsite most of the time. I periodically tidy it up, usually at the end of a build, but it soon ends up back in a bit of a mess - most of the time I end up working in a space of about 6"x 6" and have to keep pushing the clutter back :roll: :ha:

IPMS#12300
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Mine looks more the hazardous waste dump!!

Return to “Workbench Window”