billyb_imp, a view into the shed

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Re: billyb_imp, a view into the shed

Post by billyb_imp »

ShaunW wrote:Take your time, enjoy the build and don't worry about speed is my advice. I'm one of the slowest builders on here. I like to think of my efforts as being quality before quantity, doesn't always work out that way but I like to think it :ha:

If ever you need advice or tips etc don't be afraid to ask. In my experience members on here will go out of their way to offer assistance. I reckon this is one of the best modelling forums on the internet and I hope you enjoy your stay!
Thanks for the heads up Shaun, it's good to know that some of the very experienced model builders can still take a lot of time and also re-assuring that help is at hand, i'm sure questions will come along that will need answering, hopefully on the forum. I am already trawling the various threads looking for advice and thankfully there is plenty of it.
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

What he said :-D
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Still slow going on the Hurricane Mk1, but got some paint on other than primer, aluminium & interior green in this case, hopefully will glue a few things together during my next session.

A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good progress Billy, keep it moving along like that and all will be well!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

What a nice and tidy bench! Do you have a display of finished models in there too?
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Softscience wrote:What a nice and tidy bench! Do you have a display of finished models in there too?
Its not tidy right now, will probably have a display sometime in the future if I ever get round to completing a build, right now its just a dream.

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

You'll pick up speed when you get into it. Just enjoy the process and get it right. It takes much longer to correct a blast up than to get it right first time. Don't ask me how I know :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

At last getting a few things stuck together in making the Hurricane MK1 cockpit up, feels like i've got somewhere this afternoon. I was a bit heavy handed with a couple of small parts which I managed to snap but having got them into place managed to glue them together, so hopefully won't be noticed to much.

I've also got a few days off from work now so hopefully will find time to move on. Thanks to all for the tips in this thread and the couple of construction threads, helps no end. Ordered Tamiya thin, hopefully it will be here tomorrow, struggled a bit with large nozzle on Revell Contacta but cocktail stick suggestion helped no end.

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

We aim to please :-D

The cocktail stick must be one of the most used modelling tools in the world - Frankly I'm surprised Tamiya doesn't market their own 'superior' brand :roll:

That Hurricane is coming along. I know a few people have has some fun with that cockpit! You're doing a grand job.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

That Hurricane is looking good but I have to admit, the cockpit looks very detailed but rather tedious. Having got that together, I'll bet the rest will seem easier.

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That looks great, a very nicely detailed Hurricane cockpit. Revell Contacta is my polystyrene cement of choice but sometimes it can spew out of the nozzle of the applicator tube like there's no tomorrow! Cocktail sticks are very useful but I am lazy at times and apply straight out of the bottle, especially when joining fuselage or wing halves and I pay for that with the dreaded glue fingerprints from time to time, forcing a round of cleaning up - after all these years I should have learned my lesson by now, but at times I build like a 10 year old :ha:

IPMS#12300
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Just need to decal the cockpit area in the morning then I will be ready for the wings and fuselage to be done, but waiting for Tamiya Thin for that task hopefully it will be with me tomorrow.

billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

It's beginning to come together and look like a plane, seems to fit nicely together and not to many gaps to fill. All that work on the cockpit, now you can hardly see it.

But messed up with the cockpit decal, decided to press on without it, will put it down to experience, or lack of it. The decal looked ok one minute then.......

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one Billy, a Hurricane is emerging! Pity about the instrument panel decal, did it float off the backing paper whilst still in the water and then coil around itself? Sometimes it is possible to carefully tease decals apart and salvage the situation. Failing that, a bit of dry brushing might have brought out the detail on the IP - is that a technique with which you are familiar?

IPMS#12300
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

Fantastic stuff, thanks for sharing.
George B.

Return to “Workbench Window”