billyb_imp, a view into the shed

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Re: billyb_imp, a view into the shed

Post by billyb_imp »

ShaunW wrote:Nice one Billy, a Hurricane is emerging! Pity about the instrument panel decal, did it float off the backing paper whilst still in the water and then coil around itself? Sometimes it is possible to carefully tease decals apart and salvage the situation. Failing that, a bit of dry brushing might have brought out the detail on the IP - is that a technique with which you are familiar?
Yes I think I initially left it in the water to long Shaun, & I found it floating on the bottom of the dish, thought I had rescued it, looked ok on the IP having used both lots of setting solution, I then somehow manages to catch it with my arm and dragged it across (upside down) over a cloth, hence the scrunched up decal in the photo, another lesson learnt.
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

A few more bits added & main areas of Hurricane sprayed in grey primer, hopefully tomorrow will get underside painted / airbrushed plus top masked off / maybe camouflaged

I decided against doing any pre-shading, gotta learn to walk before I can run

A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That looks like a good neat and tidy job, Billy. In my opinion you have taken the right decision regarding pre-shading effects - leave all that sort of thing until you have some models under your belt and you are happy with the consistency of your work. I feel too many modellers who are starting out or returning to the hobby after a long break seem to worry too much about paint effects, adding aftermarket detail sets and what have you rather than concentrating on getting the basics right - perhaps this is down to what they are reading in the modelling press, much of which seems to focus on the "art" side of things these days and gives little coverage in the way of basic techniques.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:That looks like a good neat and tidy job, Billy. In my opinion you have taken the right decision regarding pre-shading effects - leave all that sort of thing until you have some models under your belt and you are happy with the consistency of your work. I feel too many modellers who are starting out or returning to the hobby after a long break seem to worry too much about paint effects, adding aftermarket detail sets and what have you rather than concentrating on getting the basics right - perhaps this is down to what they are reading in the modelling press, much of which seems to focus on the "art" side of things these days and gives little coverage in the way of basic techniques.
Again I'd second Shaun on that (I seem to do that a lot) - Forget the weathering and concentrate on getting a good clean build with all the basics right. Frankly I get a bit sick of the subject of weathering - there's far too much importance laid on it these days, a great deal of which is hugely unrealistic IMHO. Once you get the basic painting down (I'm still trying to acheive that) then there are a few simple weathering techniques you can try 1st, like panel line washes etc, to get a feel for it.

This is all my humble opinion of course -if you want to weather the hell out of it - it is indeed you model. (which looks great BTW).
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Sir T wrote:
ShaunW wrote:That looks like a good neat and tidy job, Billy. In my opinion you have taken the right decision regarding pre-shading effects - leave all that sort of thing until you have some models under your belt and you are happy with the consistency of your work. I feel too many modellers who are starting out or returning to the hobby after a long break seem to worry too much about paint effects, adding aftermarket detail sets and what have you rather than concentrating on getting the basics right - perhaps this is down to what they are reading in the modelling press, much of which seems to focus on the "art" side of things these days and gives little coverage in the way of basic techniques.
Again I'd second Shaun on that (I seem to do that a lot) - Forget the weathering and concentrate on getting a good clean build with all the basics right. Frankly I get a bit sick of the subject of weathering - there's far too much importance laid on it these days, a great deal of which is hugely unrealistic IMHO. Once you get the basic painting down (I'm still trying to acheive that) then there are a few simple weathering techniques you can try 1st, like panel line washes etc, to get a feel for it.

This is all my humble opinion of course -if you want to weather the hell out of it - it is indeed you model. (which looks great BTW).
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated, Ive decided that my first 3 or 4 builds, maybe more will be straight builds, just trying to get the basics sorted. As you say I can always try a bit of weathering over the top of the top coat / finish.

Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Neat and tidy looking Hurricane.

Nigel
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Back to the Hurricane Mk1, underside sprayed with Vallejo DE Green, looks very green to me, but what do I know. The kit instructions reccommend Humbrol 90 beige green which converts to Vallejo 009 DE Green, maybe not all paint conversions are equal, but im unlikely to change it.

Tomorrow (gotta go watch cricket & have a few ciders now) hopefully on to the top masking and camouflage, hopefully.

billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

A bit of a delaying starting the masking / painting of the top of the hurricane, on closer inspection I haven't got the paintwork right on the leading edge of the wing, so a bit of lost time today.

Another one down to to experience or lack of it, I seem to be saying that a lot recently

PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

The Hurricane is looking real sharp Billy. Smooth primer and first paint coat. It is hard to tell a paint colour without the others that will accompany it on the model. Plus, at the end of the day I like what I like and that works for me. Nice work.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Looking good, Billy, keep at it! The shade on the underside of the Hurricane was known as "sky" which sounds like it should be blue but is, in fact, a beige green colour and I believe Hu-90 is correct or some recommend Hu-23 (also known as Duck Egg Blue just to confuse matters even further as it isn't blue but is very similar to Hu-90!). I have the feeling that "sky" is one of those shades that is the subject of argument among members of the modelling fraternity. I've used Hu-90 and Tamiya Sky in the past.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

And if the tales of various aircraft 'erks' including my father in law are to be believed, the colour could vary from one aircraft to the next in real life as it was mixed on the airfield according to a ministry recipe...... usually in buckets!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Thanks for the encouragement guys, issue with underside leading / trailing edges sorted and dark earth applied topside, dark green camo next but that may have to left for a couple of days or even until next weekend, definitely feel as if im getting somewhere now.

dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Looking good! I am in agreement with the others on the " sky ". Some colors are so miss named as to be ridiculous. Then there is the recipe that gets field mixed a gallon of this a splash of that and a dollop of whatever. Especially during war time conditions any color is very subjective to materials at hand. So if you're relatively close go for it. That's what the ground crews do.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Your Hurricane is looking very nice. Smooth paintwork.

Nigel
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Very smart!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Workbench Window”