billyb_imp, a view into the shed

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

billyb_imp, a view into the shed

Post by billyb_imp »

Well in my welcome post I said I was going to jump straight on in and get building, it wasn't until I read a few more tips around the forum that I realised I was going to have to do some painting very early on and would need a larger space and for longer than Margaret (my very understanding wife) was ever going to allow on the dining room table.

So, I need to do some re-modelling of the shed, got an extra day off work tomorrow so will make a start. The shed is mainly used for woodturning, so got to have a bit of a swap around, bandsaw and scrollsaw will be moved to the bottom right of the photo (out of view). I will make up a spray booth to go where the bandsaw sits and to the right of that will become my general model building area.

Lots to do tomorrow then with the big tidy-up & re-model, then hopefully un-boxing a kit and making a start on Saturday or Sunday.

Watch this space

A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: billyb_imp, a view into the shed

Post by Old_Tonto »

That looks like a good sized space Billy. Look forward to seeing it after the refurb. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That should tidy up into a great modelling den if you ask me!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

That'll soon be full of boxes of kits you'll never have time to make. ;-)
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Just about got the shed sorted, well the modeling end anyway, so good to go. Plenty of space now for boxes and just the two there for now, I will have them open tomorrow.

I decided I should build a spray booth for painting, there will be a spray exhaust medial filter to go in front of the fan, waiting for it to arrive from eBay, I used the base of a storage container to mount the 100mm fan, hopefully the space between the fan & the filter will create an even pressure to drag out overspray and fumes, a flexi hose will eventually vent through the wall, maybe next weekend. The booth itself is a bit over the top but I had a stash of MDF, it is very heavy so not very mobile.

Ive now had to promise Margaret (my very understanding wife) that I will do some work in the back garden next week.

So modelling to commence tomorrow.

A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Coming along nicely.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
iggie

Post by iggie »

I had visions of you being in the shed on the left!

Seriously though, that looks a great set up
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It's always nice to have your own modelling space :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Thats a cool shed!
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Very neat. Really like the spray booth as well. Love the space in the spray booth. As long as the fan can pull the fumes you are golden. What are you going to do for heat in the winter?
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

PGAS wrote:Very neat. Really like the spray booth as well. Love the space in the spray booth. As long as the fan can pull the fumes you are golden. What are you going to do for heat in the winter?
Heatings not a problem, I have a 1.5kw panel heater that has a timer and is thermostatically controlled and also just in case it needs a boost early on I have a fan heater on the wall, very seldom that gets used though. When I built the shed I also lined it with insulation prior to butting the inner wall panels on.

Too much heat is often a problem. I also use the shed for woodturning and store some ready seasoned wood in there ready for turning, to much heat and it splits, making it ideal for firewood.

billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

At last I have made a start on an Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk 1, but very slow going, I seem to spend most of my time reading and then re-reading the instructions after early on in today's session snipping a bit off a part that I shouldn't have done, still its stuck back on and is likely to be hidden out the way. Also a couple of thin bits snapped as I cut them off the sprue, may have to get a smaller pair of cutters.

The parts shown all have a primer coat on them (where needed), so next job some cockpit green (or something close to it) & alluminium, then hopefully tomorrow I may get something stuck together.

I'm sure last time I tried this (about 50 years ago) things moved on a bit quicker, although I dont remember my dad being to impressed with my efforts back then.

iggie

Post by iggie »

A start is a start, and that's the important bit!

May I recommend a pair of these:
Available from evilBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ELECTRICA ... SwbPxXPyEK

I have a pair of these, and they have proved invaluable. They are also great for snipping PE from frets, and in idle moments while watching paint drying, for finger and toe nails too. :-D :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I'm sure things will start moving quicker as you get into it.

Welcome to the forum!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Take your time, enjoy the build and don't worry about speed is my advice. I'm one of the slowest builders on here. I like to think of my efforts as being quality before quantity, doesn't always work out that way but I like to think it :ha:

If ever you need advice or tips etc don't be afraid to ask. In my experience members on here will go out of their way to offer assistance. I reckon this is one of the best modelling forums on the internet and I hope you enjoy your stay!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”