new build

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
alecras234
Active Participant

new build

Post by alecras234 »

Hi, im building a 1 48 Revel spitfire but my gluing has gone wrong. The wings of a spitfire aren't easy to assemble as they are in two halves, it's difficult to line them up. How can i salvage this please? ImageImageImage
Centhot
Series 3 and Beyond

Re: new build

Post by Centhot »

Remove the mainplanes from the fuselage. Put the mainplane to the fuselage and see the difference. Now sand or build-up so the fit as good possible, then use filler to fill the gaps.
2016:
Acquired: 14
Binned: 2
Completed: 0
Disposed: 0
Undecided: 1
WIP: 4 (2 B/F)
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

what? mainplane?
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Eric Mc »

"Mainplane" is a more technical term for "the wings".

I've never built this particular kit although I've built plenty of Spitfires. Is the lower wing one whole piece?
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

I built this kit about 2 years ago. FWIW pry the wings off, and separate the upper wings from the lower then glue the upper pieces to the fuselage. let this sit at least overnight to really cure well. Then glue the lower wing piece to the fuselage trying for as good a fit as you can manage. Let this cure up overnight. then..... work on glueing up the rest of the wing, starting at the fuselage and working your way out to the wing tip.
From experience with this kit the fix is not great but with patience you can get a passable result. and yes filler is a must.

here's a pic of my Revell Spit

as you can see the fit isn't great, but its about as good as you will get with this particular kit.

Good luck... Let us know how you fare.

Greg
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Sometimes in model building, you have to undo what you've done, tidy up the mess and have another go.

I'm building an Airfix Boeing 7327 airliner kit and this is my THIRD attempt to get on with this model and finish it. I've already removed the paint and sanded back to the bare plastic twice.

Perseverance is sometimes required.
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

I've broken the wing trying to remove parts that i'd already glued, so im throwing it away and starting again. I like the idea of gluing the top half of the wing to the fuselage first then the underneath, i'll try that instead of fitting the wings onto the lower part first.
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Sorry to hear the bad news. But you arent alone in the broken parts dept. I can't tell you how many times I've had to order replacement parts.
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

I have been there many time too. Are you going to try the same kit or a different one? :grin:
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

im painting my 1 72 king tiger 2 tank, i was thinking should i weather it after painting and before i varnish or after varnishing? I'm thinking of making my own sludge wash by using soft pastels, water and washing up liquid.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

depends on a few things. If you're going to be hand brushing your clear varnish, then you certainly want to apply your pastels AFTER you varnish. And apply them over a FLAT varnish.
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

i brush paint acrylics and i brush on humbol CLEAR varnish. What do you mean by FLAT varnish? so i need to varnish before i weather??
iggie

Post by iggie »

Flat varnish is Matt (not shiny)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

So do i after painting brush on Matt varnish before weathering?
iggie

Post by iggie »

Paint,
clear varnish (gloss)
Decals
Matt varnish
Weathering
Matt varnish to seal everything in place (but be careful if brushing as it may drag out the weathering from panel lines etc, so spray if at all possible)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Workbench Window”