Barry's Bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Barry
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Barry's Bench

Post by Barry »

Because I usually have 2-5 projects going at once, Workbench Window doesn't really work for me as a 'Work in Progress' area. The build threads get hopelessly intermixed so, I prefer to put them, individually, in the 'Aviaton Modelling' section. Never the less, sometimes it is nice to be able to share a general 'State of the Bench' observation, so that is what I plan to do here. New posts may be infrequent, but for today, this is what it looks like:

In spite of having these (plus a Beech King Air) not yet finished,

I went out and bought these:

The Sea Star because I like it and it's a first in 1/72 (Vacs not withstanding), the Avro Car because it's a bit bizzare, the X-5 because it fills a hole in my '50s X-plane series, the F-86A because, after 40 some years, nobody else has seen fit to produce an model A Sabre, and the Avia C 2 because it's a neat little airplane and was on offer for only $5 USD. NB : These are not to increase my stash, I'm going to build them all immediately.
2012 A:12 B:13 C:0
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Barry's Bench

Post by PaulBradley »

How'd I miss the Heron?? :shock:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Barry

Post by Barry »

I've been holding out Paul. :grin:
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

That Seastar is a pretty machine!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

That avrocar looks like what will probably be a slightly low quality kit. Judging by the look of the box.

But its a flying saucer. That is automatically a want.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

BlohmWolf wrote:That avrocar looks like what will probably be a slightly low quality kit. Judging by the look of the box.

But its a flying saucer. That is automatically a want.
Actually the Avrocar kit is quite good quality, I built one in May (see my Workbench thread). The areas to look out for are the interior resin parts that need a lot of thinning down so they will fit when the saucer is closed, and the decals that are very fiddly, especially the central circular red intake decal. But it's a nice kit with few fit issues. I see that Fly have just released a range of follow-up 'What-If' scheme Avrocars too.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
Asoka

Post by Asoka »

Barry, That's a really interesting bunch of kits, would love to have the X-5 and the Avrocar... (Got a couple of MB Sabres, though! :grin: )
The Avia is an Arado 96 variant, is it?

Cheers,

Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
Barry

Post by Barry »

Right Asoka. Czech built Ar 96B to be exact.

Julian's right about the Avrocar...It's very nice. The resin cockpits are very good and the only real problem is that the canopies are quite thick. Also, the cockpit opening is very small so that, even if I vac new canopies, little can be seen. I'm thinking I may have to gown up and scrub for surgery.

I agree Ian. I'd made a slight start on a vacuform one, so now with the extra decal options from the kit I may wind up with two Sea Stars.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Barry wrote:Right Asoka. Czech built Ar 96B to be exact.

Julian's right about the Avrocar...It's very nice. The resin cockpits are very good and the only real problem is that the canopies are quite thick. Also, the cockpit opening is very small so that, even if I vac new canopies, little can be seen. I'm thinking I may have to gown up and scrub for surgery.

I agree Ian. I'd made a slight start on a vacuform one, so now with the extra decal options from the kit I may wind up with two Sea Stars.
You can ditch the canopies if you want. Have a look on Youtube, all the video of Avrocars in action show that they didn't use the canopies when test wobbling and just had a roll bar to protect the pilot in case of flipping, and that's easy enough to make out of bent wire. It got so hot in the Avrocar I think the pilots wanted to certain of a quick exit if needed...
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Well ok then. It is a good kit!

I have to get one of them myself. I bet there is one lurking around the inner depths of E-bay.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
Barry

Post by Barry »

working out contour issues on the 614.

My granddaughter likes it, so I'm going to try to finish what I started way back when this kit was a new release.

Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Looking good, Barry
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Busy, busy, Barry!
Great to see all this going on!

David
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Great looking lifeboat!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Barry

Post by Barry »

VFW 614: trying to reduce a ridge along the centerline resulted in very nearly sanding through the plastic. So I removed the tissue thin material

Inserting a patch of 20 thou. to support the join behind the hole. Glued where it touched the edge of the hole and

used this tool to push it up against the roof where where I could flood it with liquid cement.

Ready to insert the 2d patch

Pull tight and secure with liquid cement. Then 'caulk' all 'round the edges with super glue.

First layer of filler applied. Also, cockpit transparency finally satisfactorily (for me anyway) in place. Engines and stabilizers next.

First paint on the Broussard and

upper paint on the F-104. Have to get to the LHS to get some camo grey for the underside.

Return to “Workbench Window”