new build

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
alecras234
Active Participant

new build

Post by alecras234 »

Hi i've bought the Airfix 1 48 spitfire mk1 which i was looking forward to starting today but i don't have the paint it's asking for for the interior. I have built spitfires in the past and have a few paints which i used for those kits, acrylic 33 black, 29 brown, 60 pale green, 30 green. Do i need the extra colours that my new kit is asking for?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: new build

Post by ShaunW »

If my memory serves me correctly, as a very basic guide for a Mk I Spitfire you will at least need some Hu-78 Cockpit Green for most of the interior painting, together with black (which you have) for the top half of the instrument panel and aluminium for the oxygen bottles and possibly the seat.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Looking up Humbrol 60 it comes up as red; if your light green is Humbrol 120 then it's not massively different to interior green. As long as the green you use is not emerald green or any really strong green then I'd go with it while you get to grips with modelling at 1/48th and then add to your paints as needed with your next kit(s)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

humbrol 90 it is sorry
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

90 is 'sky's or beige-green; it's a bit light for interior green but if you feel adventurous you could try mixing it with the dark green (Humbrol 30) to bring it down a bit.
Try a drop of each mixed together using a cocktail stick to pick up some from each pot (clean stick for each!) and see what that looks like compared to 78. Google Humbrol 78 images to get an idea of what you are trying to get to.
Once you've got an idea of how many drops of each are needed to make a colour you are happy with, then you need to mix enough for the cockpit, wheel wells ect. A pipette will be handy for this, you can usually get them from chemists
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by billyb_imp »

I have recently started the Airfix Harrier from the same period and the instructions show the cockpit area as Humbrol 078 (Cockpit Green), i'm using Vallejo and there is no direct comparison in the air range so went for the Vallejo 920 from the model colour range.

I used the chart below to convert but cant remember where I got it from, hopefully when clicked on it will open in a larger window, allowing it to be downloaded from Photobucket.

A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.

Return to “Workbench Window”