Lone Modeller's Tray

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Scratch build Breuget Br 5

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Beautiful work
:wanw

Nigel
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Thanks for the compliments Nigel.

When I described the method of attaching the booms to the wings in an earlier post, I forgot to include a diagram to show how I calculate the angles of the booms to the wing surfaces. These angles are crucial because they act like a fuselage on a tractor aeroplane: if they are not properly aligned in relation to the thrust line the whole model looks odd. In the case of the Breuget the booms converged on to the horizontal tail surface, so it is vital that they meet at the correct place and angle. This diagram shows how I calculate the correct angles:

The diagram shows a pusher type with the lower wing and fuselage nacelle, and the lower boom. TEW means trailing edge of the upper wing; LET means leading edge of the horizontal tail surface. The distance between these two marks is measured from the plan drawing of the aircraft you wish to model. A horizontal line is drawn on the side elevation drawing of the aircraft being modelled: I usually draw it based on how the combined fuselage nacelle and wing would sit on a flat surface because this will be horizontal when you fix the boom. Now measure the vertical distance between the horizontal line drawn on the plan and the leading edge of the horizontal tail surface. This is how high the boom will need to be above the trailing edge of the wing at this distance behind it.

The "jig" or support can now be made. I normally rest the front end of the model on a flat surface and ensure that it is stable. I now put a support (usually from plastic card pieces because the different thicknesses allow me to get an accurate scale height) with the front edge at the measured distance from the wing trailing edge: the booms will rest on the leading edge of the support while the epoxy resin hardens. The remainder of the procedure was described above and I hope that the photos also help to make the above description clear.

This method is not complex or difficult to set up, is easily dismantled when finished with, uses materials available to most modellers, and is successful every time in my experience, (and I have converted or scratch built about 8 or 9 pushers with booms).
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Evening All,

Progress has been made this week. The exhausts were the first thing to go on after the painting: they were made from rod and glued into the holes in the rear fuselage where I had added extra card in the interior to make the sides stronger. The oil or fuel tank, (not sure which - does anyone know for sure?) above the rear fuselage was made from thick sprue filed and sanded into shape.

The top wing and tail unit were next. The procedure is one that I have used many times before in that I glued the inner wing struts to the lower wing and while these were still flexible I placed the top wing on to them. The tail unit was slid into place between the rear of the booms: I had already put drops of superglue on to the ends of the booms so the tail unit had to be placed carefully before the boom ends were pulled together. The whole was jigged while the wing struts dried out. Please note the jigs which were made from what was available within arm's length and the try on which I carry out most of my modelling!

After drying out overnight it was relatively easy to add the remaining wing struts, followed by the cabanes and finally the vertical boom struts. I also glued the radiators on to the cabanes at this stage as they were relatively easy to get to.

With the wing and booms now firm and strong I could add the large fuel tanks under the top wing.

Undercarriage next.

Thanks for looking.
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

What fun it is following this magnificent project!

I think painting those roundels really paid off handsomely!

Outstanding!

The Great Auk
iggie

Post by iggie »

Brilliant work and a pleasure to follow your progress....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Thanks Auk and Iggie for you comments which I greatly appreciate.

I have now added the undercarriage which was easier than I had feared. The main legs were of the oleo type which means sticking the ends of two sizes of shaped strip together: these joints can be weak if they are not handled respectfully. The remainder of the legs were also shaped from strip which had been shaped to aerofoil section. The axles are wire because I want the undercarriage to have some strength: the model is heavy because I have added some weight to the nose but I have a feeling that it is going to be a tail sitter. This is not too important as it would appear that these machines sat on their tails until the crew got in - at which point they tipped on to the nose wheel. My model will be without crew so if it is a tail sitter that will be authentic. The nose wheel has been put into place because it sits between the forward legs: the other wheels will not be fitted until I have rigged the model, which is the next step.

Thanks for looking.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Unreal, this is fantastic work and fascinating to read. You are a modeller, LM, while most of us are mere kit assemblers.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Evening All,

Thanks Shaun for the very kind remark. I consider modelling to include a very wide range of activities and when I see some of the kits assembled here but then presented in most original forms, I wonder whether I should continue at all! We all see the faults in our own work, (I am no exception), and many wish we could do as others do, (I am no exception to that either). If others can learn from me so good - that is what this and other forums are about: I certainly learn from others and make no secret of the fact.

I have spent as much time as I have been able in the last few days finishing this - I had to make an emergency visit to a sick relative in between times so was seriously distracted - but have now finished it.

Finishing included adding all of the rigging (rolled 40 SWG copper wire and superglue: thread on a pusher is not practical for me in this scale), the propellor (carved from wood and varnished),the wheels, windscreen from acetate, gun ring etc. As suspected it is a tail sitter in spite of the weight that I added to the nose! Never mind these machines did sit on their tails until the crews got in so as mine is crewless it still looks right.

I will put more pics in the gallery shortly.

I will change the title of this entry soon because I am about to embark on another project for a GB on another site and do not want to keep adding to the list of titles on this page. In future look out for "Lone Modeller's Tray".

Thanks for looking.
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Very nice work!
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
iggie

Post by iggie »

Outstanding work throughout!
That is a delightful model, and all the better for being of a relatively unusual subject. Consider my hat (if I had one....) well and truly doffed Sir :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Thank you gents for your very kind remarks. I will have pictures up in the aircraft section shortly.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Very inspiring. I'd love to do a full scratch build one day
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Marek

Post by Marek »

Shock and Awe campaign in modelling. I love the work you put into this beauty.
celt

Post by celt »

A scratch building master class. :wanw
Lone Modeller

Re: Lone Modeller's Tray

Post by Lone Modeller »

Thank you gentlemen for dropping by and leaving those kind remarks.

Return to “Workbench Window”