Migrant's Cabin

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Migrant's Cabin 2017

Post by skypirate »

Gorgeous little Arado, Mike.
Always been tempted by the S-3, but somehow it has eluded me. I suppose I should do the S-2 first. I have one to restore.

Cheers,

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Arado was blitzed?!?!? I really don't know how you do it, Mike. I couldn't have got that model to look that good in a couple of months, let alone 24 hours! Wonderful.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Holy cow, love that little arado.

Rescribing the Viking must have been a tough job. I see a lot of complex looking curves on it.
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Thanks for looking/commenting. :)
Softscience wrote:Rescribing the Viking must have been a tough job. I see a lot of complex looking curves on it.
It wasn't too bad, as the fuselage is quite boxy in cross-section, but there were a few curves on the upper wing that required flexible tape as a guide instead of the usual DYMO stuff. I didn't bother to correct the Hasegawa panel lines, though I've since read that the upper wing lines are spurious. Oh well :-D
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

What do you typically scribe with? I think I might have asked you this before, but I don't recall you replying.

Your lines always look nice and crisp.
Migrant

Post by Migrant »

Softscience wrote:What do you typically scribe with? I think I might have asked you this before, but I don't recall you replying.

Your lines always look nice and crisp.
Thanks Ralph, and sorry if I haven't responded to previous posts; it's not deliberate...

For years I used a sewing needle in a pin vise, but the last few kits have been rescribed using a Gunze G-Tool with a 0.1mm blade. It scribes the line without creating a raised lip either side, and I really like the results. Because of the curved tip it doesn't work well with circle templates and suchlike, so I still use a sewing needle for those.

PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Gorgeous Ar-96. You do such great clean work, Mike! Very neat paint scheme.

How do you scribe the panel lines, do you leave the old raised detail as a guide or sand them off and re-draw them on as a guide? What type of tape do you use as a guide when Dymo won't work?

Sorry for all the questions but just trying to learn from your fantastic work and obvious skills.

Cheers,
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
Migrant

Post by Migrant »

PGAS wrote:Gorgeous Ar-96. You do such great clean work, Mike! Very neat paint scheme.

How do you scribe the panel lines, do you leave the old raised detail as a guide or sand them off and re-draw them on as a guide? What type of tape do you use as a guide when Dymo won't work?

Sorry for all the questions but just trying to learn from your fantastic work and obvious skills.

Cheers,
Thanks Paul. I generally sand the raised lines down, leaving just a trace to, er, trace over with the scriber. This is the tape I use for curved lines:

It's very flexible but much softer than DYMO tape. What I try to do is draw the scriber along the edge of the tape without applying any pressure at all, but allowing the weight of the scriber to make the slightest of lines. After repeating this a couple of times the scriber forms a track in the styrene, after which a bit more pressure can be applied.
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Thanks Mike. I will have to try the tape. Dymo worked in straight areas but I could never get it to work well on inside corners and curves.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Thanks Migrant I am going to try a sewing needle in my pin vise and some DYMO tape (black). Looking around for the Blue flex tape...
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Thanks for the tips Mike.
Michael modeller 48

Bit of an update. Just completed this Heller 1/72 Arado Ar-96 for the Blitzbau.

Good Job on selling your Arado on Ebay to a guy in the states. That is impressive!

Wish you could post more build pictures of the Farman article build.

I watch the Great Escape movie; I was wrong this plane was not in this movie. It looked like a side by side cockpit trainer.

Like the Texans "stand in" the movie Where eagles dare, it might have not been a German plane.
Marek

Post by Marek »

Mike, your blitzbau Arado is quite convincing. I do not think I could do turtle build that good :)
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

Marek wrote:Mike, your blitzbau Arado is quite convincing. I do not think I could do turtle build that good :)
Yes, I'd just add my comment to Marek's. Brilliant as ever, Mike. Keep raising the bar.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
Michael modeller 48

Spaceowl wrote:
Marek wrote:Mike, your blitzbau Arado is quite convincing. I do not think I could do turtle build that good :)
Yes, I'd just add my comment to Marek's. Brilliant as ever, Mike. Keep raising the bar.
Forgive the question; What is a "turtle" build?

Return to “Workbench Window”