More Tales From The Basement Lab

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: More Tales From The Basement Lab

Post by AndrewR »

I decided not to risk the old Frog decals on the S6b. They are rather yellowed, and there's no sun for bleaching at the moment :cry:

I'm using some three-coloured strip from the Xtradecal Post-War :shock: sheet, which fits the rudder nicely, and has a good match for the darker shade of blue I'm using. It needs a bit of delicate trimming at the top, when the decals are dry.

The decals are also finished on the Bulldog. Phew!
Up in the Great White North
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

AndrewR wrote:
Sir T wrote:Very nice work on both of those Andrew - I've always enjoyed your work with these oldies (although I have a feeling I've seen you build the Supermarine before?).

How do you rate the Bulldog kit? I've often fancied having a go at that kit but I'm not a biplane builder as such.
I had a go at the Airfix S6b, but never got it to a satisfactory finish. The Frog offering is much more accurate and more buildable.

The Bulldog is an okay kit, but not the best. The old Airfix DH.4 is an easy build. Also the Revell Fokker Triplane is a good beginners kit. The new Airfix BE2c kit is good, as it is reasonably large, and easy to rig. The Matchbox Hawker Fury is also an excellent beginners kit.
Thanks for the tips Andrew.

The Fury is a lovely looking aircraft, as are all the inter-war Hawker aircraft.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Quite good progress on the Supermarine S6.b today. The floats are together, so we have an almost completed aircraft.

There are still some minor parts to add on, and the rigging. I will need to get a new very fine drill bit to make locating holes, if I go for my usual elastic thread.

Meanwhile, the Bulldog gets the rigging fixed eventually :roll: and gets the undercarriage on. The wheels are being resprayed because I didn't like the paint job on the hub caps.

The instructions are hopeless on the correct placement of the exhaust stacks, but I've checked on some photos of examples in museums, and now I know where to attach them. This is one of the biggest advantages to modelling in the age of the internet - the wealth of material for research.

So we need wheels, exhausts and the radio aerials stringing. Plus varnish, of course.
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by billyb_imp »

A couple of very nice looking builds here Andrew, a thread to follow in the future me thinks
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

A few days away, so I have just done a wee bit more on the S6b this morning:

The canopy still needs to go on

I also need to get a very fine drill bit so I can do the rigging. The LMS will be open tomorrow!

There are also a few trimming weights to add to the wings and rudder. I'm going to do the rigging before putting these on, as they are in very vulnerable positions when handling the model.

Meanwhile the Bulldog wheel hub-caps are being painted, so I should be able to work on that tomorrow.

cheers

Andrew
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

The S6b is looking very sharp!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

That's looking lovely Andrew!

gnomemeansgnome
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Great work all round, Andrew.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A great looking pair Andrew. The internet is indeed a valuable research tool and I make constant reference to Google Images during builds using a small tablet computer that now resides permanently in the modelling room. G.I. has saved me a fortune in reference books!!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice work, Andrew!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

A slight delay in getting hold of a fine drill bit, but I managed to get to the LMS today. I also picked up an Airfix Meteor in 1/72 for $4.95 :-D

So here is the rigged Frog Supermarine S6b.

As usual, I've only done the essential overwing rigging, not absolutely everything.

This is a nice kit, if you can find one. Not completely accurate, but better than the Airfix version, and infinitely more buildable.

I've finished it in a rather dark blue, to match the box art. The flying version is probably a lighter colour.

The Bulldog is being varnished, and is almost finished. Next kit up, the venerable Monogram P40N in 1/72 scale (allegedly).
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Here is the Monogram kit, which is apparently closer to 1/67 scale than 1/72, but who cares?

I have some nice Techmod decals to use, and will do the upper option "White 13". There's a white tail, and the wings have little squiggly medium green edges, to make a contrast with the olive drab.

The kit is really basic - pilot on a peg basic. The pilot figure is also terrible, so I may substitute another figure. There is absolutely no cockpit at all, but I may just ignore that.

The bits fit together reasonably well, at least when dry-fitted ;-) . Very hard shiny plastic with raised details, as expected for a kit of this era. I think I may put it on a stand.

Meanwhile, here is the completed Bulldog. I haven't rigged the radio antenna, as I would have to drill the upper wings, which are a tad too fragile for my liking. All I've done is use Vallejo Satin varnish to dull down the decals a bit.

This is a fairly nice kit, and I do have another one in the stash, with another set of decals on the Model Alliance sheet :-D
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Very nice work Andrew.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Two great build there Andrew.

That Mono P-40 looks interesting. I built their P-51B a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Very nice.

The P-40 on a stand would work very well - paint the interior black to hide the lack of detail, substitute a better pilot figure, and you don't have to use the pretty poor undercarriage. Win/win!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “Workbench Window”