More Tales From The Basement Lab

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

More Tales From The Basement Lab

Post by AndrewR »

I'm restarting this thread, as the previous workbench thread was very long and full of Photobucket-hosted images.

Previously in the basement lab...

The horizontal stabilisers on the Bulldog have now been sprayed white, but I will have to remask to paint the rudder. In the meantime, I've decided to tackle a Frog Supermarine S6b.

An extremely simple kit.

It takes only a few minutes to put together the extremely simple fuselage and float sections.

After these pictures were taken, I sprayed the seams with light grey to check out for any rough spots. There were rough spots :grin:
These have now been patched up on the main fuselage assembly, and this has been primed. The floats will need a wee bit more work.
Up in the Great White North
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: More Tales From The Basement Lab

Post by AndrewR »

After a couple of rounds of sanding and painting, the floats are now at the primed stage.

Meanwhile, the fuselage and wings are partly painted. I've gone for the dark finish portrayed on the box lid in this case (although the blue colour was probably lighter in real life!).

In this case, Vallejo Metallic Dark Aluminium and Vallejo Steel Blue are the two colours used.

The upper deck and engine assembly now need a coat of the dark aluminium too.

I'm not happy with the demarcation at the wing roots, and there may be more blue paint sprayed. The floats are blue and aluminium on the upper surfaces, so I can do it then.

The Bulldog has now had the red and blue rudder stripes painted on. There will be the great unveiling ceremony later this afternoon, if my nerves can stand it. At least one of the white stabilisers caught a bit of blue, so there will be more spraying of white too!
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Nice work so far on the S6 Andrew; the blue does look a tad dark , but that said it is a lovely shade!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

iggie wrote:Nice work so far on the S6 Andrew; the blue does look a tad dark , but that said it is a lovely shade!
I'm aiming to reproduce the boxart, more than real life :grin:
iggie

Post by iggie »

AndrewR wrote:
iggie wrote:Nice work so far on the S6 Andrew; the blue does look a tad dark , but that said it is a lovely shade!
I'm aiming to reproduce the boxart, more than real life :grin:
All in favour of that; real life ain't all it's cracked up to be methinks :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Right ho, nervous unveiling of the rudder...

The blue stripe was okay, but the red was ragged on one side. Fortunately I found some suitable red stripe in the decal folder, so that was pressed into service. Then the upper wing detached on one side as I was handling the model... :sad:

Fortunately, I have managed to repair this, with one rigging line in need of replacement.

Here we are, with the red decal stripes on, and the upper horizontal stabilizer decals added too.

They were tricky little blighters! :shock:

That's all for today
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Both look nice. The S6 is an interesting one.

He's experienced about as much pain and suffering as anyone I've encountered, give or take, and he still has Hell to look forward to.

A:B 2017 8:1 2016 27:10 2015 53:07 2014 21:04 2013 39:12 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 340:86
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Nice work on the S.6 so far, Andrew. And that is one cheerful looking Bulldog.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nicely done, sir!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Colourful Bulldog, and I like the blue on the S6.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great work with this pair Andrew. I tend to get all fingers and thumbs with biplanes and find that parts detach much more easily than with their monoplane cousins :roll:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:Great work with this pair Andrew. I tend to get all fingers and thumbs with biplanes and find that parts detach much more easily than with their monoplane cousins :roll:
Yesterday was not a good day for aircraft handling, and I'm jolly lucky to have saved the build. I like doing biplanes, but there can be some heart-stopping moments!
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Today in the Daily Dodgy Difficult Decal Debacle:

Port side of the Bulldog has the main decals on. The rudder decals were incredibly difficult to get into position, and don't really match the contours of the kit rudder :cry:

The Supermarine S6b has now been painted, and the blue paint touched up. There was a nasty KERSPLATT incident with the airbrush just as I was spraying the metallic stripes on the sides. I stripped down the airbrush, cleaned everything, and normal spraying service has now been resumed!

The horizontal stabilisers need another coat, and the floats need a second coat of the dark aluminium too.

On the whole, this kit is moving along nicely.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Very nice work on both of those Andrew - I've always enjoyed your work with these oldies (although I have a feeling I've seen you build the Supermarine before?).

How do you rate the Bulldog kit? I've often fancied having a go at that kit but I'm not a biplane builder as such.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Sir T wrote:Very nice work on both of those Andrew - I've always enjoyed your work with these oldies (although I have a feeling I've seen you build the Supermarine before?).

How do you rate the Bulldog kit? I've often fancied having a go at that kit but I'm not a biplane builder as such.
I had a go at the Airfix S6b, but never got it to a satisfactory finish. The Frog offering is much more accurate and more buildable.

The Bulldog is an okay kit, but not the best. The old Airfix DH.4 is an easy build. Also the Revell Fokker Triplane is a good beginners kit. The new Airfix BE2c kit is good, as it is reasonably large, and easy to rig. The Matchbox Hawker Fury is also an excellent beginners kit.

Return to “Workbench Window”