Stuart's Quarter-Scale Blunders

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Stuart's Quarter-Scale Blunders

Post by Stuart »

Hi All, and welcome to my 1/48th scale WW mini-thread :-D

I just wanted a place where I can keep all of my 1/48 adventures together - I won't bore you with the details, but I've been trying to get into 1/48 scale for years now but I've suffered from a 'Writer's Block' of sorts and could never get into a build properly. I've started several, but have only ever completed one.

Anyway, I promised myself this would be the year to get on with it, and I've managed to 'crack the block' and get into some builds - I have two one the go at present and another winging it's way to me in the post (an old tool Airifx Hurricane mk.I).

Right, thats the into over - on with the builds!

First up is Airfix's special boxing of Douglas Bader's Supermarine Spitfire mk.Va.

This isn't a bad kit at all and comes with a stash of parts for various other marks that can go into the spares bin. It hails from the early days of the red box Airfix and I think the moulding is from the pre-hornby days - but still very nice. The only real thing that lets it down to my eyes is the shape of the windscreen - it slopes ar to sharply.

Here are the pictures of the past few months progress...

Canopy had some bad fit issues...

Green on...

And here's where I am now. I managed a couple of hours decalling over the weekend.

Not too bad - there's some silvering I have to deal with and I've learned good lesson about the wing roundels - fit them after the wing walk lines are in place.

The other build I have on the go is this beast - Pictures to follow.

Thanks for reading - and congratulations if you got this far without falling asleep! :shock:

Cheers!

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Stuart's Quarter-Scale Blunders

Post by iggie »

Still awake here! :grin:
I have never yet built a 1/48th scale kit although I have two Airfix Lynx in the stash and a Bandai AT-AST. I too have a mental stumbling block which I am finding difficult to overcome; the AT-AST will likely get built but I doubt that the Lynx will :???: :roll:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

iggie wrote:Still awake here! :grin:
I have never yet built a 1/48th scale kit although I have two Airfix Lynx in the stash and a Bandai AT-AST. I too have a mental stumbling block which I am finding difficult to overcome; the AT-AST will likely get built but I doubt that the Lynx will :???: :roll:
That's partly why I created this thread Iggie - to try and help get over that block. Don't get me wrong, I love 1/72 - but sometimes it's nice to have a bit more detail.

Those Lynx's are supposed to be lovely kits - They're on my to-do list (assuming I get one).

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Nice spit, man. Very nice.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Very nice Spitfire.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is great to see, Stuart. Prior to joining the forum 1/48th was my primary choice in particular for single engine fighter types and in fact I hadn't built in 1/72nd for quite a while. I rediscovered the joys of the gentleman's scale after joining here and I haven't completed a 1/48th build since. Currently I have a 1/48th Airfix Sea Harrier patiently waiting completion after I have finished my builds for Telford and I intend to complete more in the scale. 1/72nd has its advantages and I would not cease to build in the scale but IMHO some single engine types can be too small and fiddly and 1/48th offers a better balance of size and detail for those subjects.

Anyway, I digress. Great start to this Spitfire and I look forward to seeing more of your quarter scale adventures!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Nice work on the Spit Stuart. What did you use on the canopy to get round the fit issues, PVA glue?

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

A:B 2017 8:1 2016 27:10 2015 53:07 2014 21:04 2013 39:12 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 340:86
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

The Spit looks really good Stuart, and I'm looking forward to the Tunnan build. Nice idea creating a separate workbench thread for the larger scale. Must admit I enjoy the occasional foray into 1/48 too, much easier on my aging eyes...
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Very nice Spitfire.

Nigel
Thanks Nigel!

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Softscience wrote:Nice spit, man. Very nice.
Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with it.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Narayan wrote:Nice work on the Spit Stuart. What did you use on the canopy to get round the fit issues, PVA glue?

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

A:B 2017 8:1 2016 27:10 2015 53:07 2014 21:04 2013 39:12 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 340:86
Thanks! No that's perfect plastic putty. The canopy was attached with Tamiya extra thin, then I dolloped on the putty and whilst still wet I removed the excess with wet cotton buds. I've done a lot of canopies like this and it seems to work well.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Migrant wrote:The Spit looks really good Stuart, and I'm looking forward to the Tunnan build. Nice idea creating a separate workbench thread for the larger scale. Must admit I enjoy the occasional foray into 1/48 too, much easier on my aging eyes...
Thanks Mike. I have to say it's nice to be working in something larger. The Tunnan is a really nice kit thus far - I need to get some pictures up of the cockpit.

I've just got in an old tool Hurricane as well. I'm plucking up the nerve to scribe the panel lines. How would you go about doing the round fastners?

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:This is great to see, Stuart. Prior to joining the forum 1/48th was my primary choice in particular for single engine fighter types and in fact I hadn't built in 1/72nd for quite a while. I rediscovered the joys of the gentleman's scale after joining here and I haven't completed a 1/48th build since. Currently I have a 1/48th Airfix Sea Harrier patiently waiting completion after I have finished my builds for Telford and I intend to complete more in the scale. 1/72nd has its advantages and I would not cease to build in the scale but IMHO some single engine types can be too small and fiddly and 1/48th offers a better balance of size and detail for those subjects.

Anyway, I digress. Great start to this Spitfire and I look forward to seeing more of your quarter scale adventures!
Thanks Shaun - I'm looking forward to seeing more of your SHAR too - I was enjoying that build!

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Hi All - Time for an update!

The Spitifre is finished! It's not my best work but I'm reasonably pleased with it, despite it's shape issues. I really do need to find an alternative to Humbrol Acrylic though (I've been runing some experiments with Tamiya)

I've also progressed the Tunnan - So far all of the main parts are together and square (ish). Now it's onto the seam clean up and filling!

Here's the cockpit!

The fit of all of the internal parts was excellent...

The only bad part of the kit thus far was the wing fit - bloody awful - Practically a butt joint. However it's all together now.

I have to say I'm enjoying my quarter scales adventures thus far - it makes a nice change to work in something bigger.

Cheers!

iggie

Post by iggie »

The Spit looks a cracker Stuart, and the Tunnan looks like it is coming along well too; the cockpit looks spot on!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Workbench Window”