Michael's Modellers Mucking About

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Michael modeller 48

Re: Michael's Modellers Mucking About

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Thank Shawn, I had a delay on this one. Modelland has another model might try it again. I might have put them on wrong top or bottom of the tabs that were on the wings. Putting them high of true position especially the tail plane?

The movie Valkrie has a Ju-52 in Green camo with yellow on the tail section
Michael modeller 48

Which are Stabilizers and which are elevators?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The horizontal stabilizers are the small "wings" either side of the tail and are also known as tail planes for that reason. The elevators are the moving sections that are attached to their rear edges of the stabilizers and on the full-size control the pitch of the aircraft, i.e. raising the nose or the tail depending upon whether the pilot wishes to climb or dive.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Michael modeller 48

Sorry this 1:144 build was deleted and will try a different build. Thanks.

I might have better luck with this larger scale Airfix Ju-52. I might buy another Eduard Ju-52 1:44 kit from modelland they have one in stock. And try again.

I might do a p-40 or wildcat for my next build??
Michael modeller 48

This what i meant by "Mucking about". I decide to stop this build too many mistakes! Paint bleed gaps seams glue on window and model plus missing

window. May buy another kit from Modelland and try it again.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I feel your pain. Sometimes they just need to go back in their box.
Michael modeller 48

Airfix Curtiss Hawk H-81A-2 P-40

PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Too bad about the 1/144 Ju-52. If is any consolation, mine ended up in the bin when I tried it as well. It is a small kit and the corrugations make it hard to fit together neatly.

That being said, it will be interesting to see the larger one built. Are you doing the wheeled version or floats?

Lastly, thanks for sharing the Curtiss Hawk. I'd seen the kit in the local hobby shop and was thinking about getting it. It looks like a fine kit o I might head back and pick one up.

Cheers,
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
Michael modeller 48

Thanks Paul, i found the top hard fit well to the sides and had gap at the wings close to the fuselage. I had trouble with very small scale 1:144!

I am going to use the wheels!

Your welcome, I watch Pearl Harbor and Air ace documentary about the Flying Tiger in China. I want to do this one!

I think you will enjoy building it! The airfix kit was a gift set: paint brush, paint, and glue! Very good value!

Someone just build a p-40 in the workbench window. Dazzled's Base Camp-Flying Tiger

Some say the shark mouth is well used scheme. But i wanted to do it because of the Air ace video! And first one since i was a kid!
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Michael modeller 48 wrote:This what i meant by "Mucking about". I decide to stop this build too many mistakes! Paint bleed gaps seams glue on window and model plus missing

window. May buy another kit from Modelland and try it again.

You didn't bin it did you? You could use it in a 'Last days before the fall of Stalingrad' type diorama. Have the Ju as a partly snow covered (hiding the bits you're unhappy with) damaged lame duck, surrounded by 1/144 vehicles and equipment. Or, you could have it in the background for a 1/72 or even a 1/144 + 1/72 + 1/35 three layer forced perspective dio.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Michael modeller 48

Spits...........,

I did not "bin it" it is in the box. I was not that mad at it haha. I was tried to do a Where eagle Dare movie prop plane my first try on a 1:144.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have never done any diorama. I would not know where to start? I also only know how to damage planes "on purpose" not by

accident haha. How would I "damage" the skids/wheel, props/engines? How would do a diorama?
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I know it's a good bit late but for masking corrugated aircraft I use bluetack. Roll it into a sausage shape then flatten it. Lay it along the demarcation line then push it into the grooves. That should stop most of the bleed under.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Michael modeller 48

Yes, I have blue tac but did not think to use it! Thanks Greg! Since the stabilizers and elevators had a gap the masking tape obviously did not work!!

I will try for my next one, if decide to do it.
Michael modeller 48

It is not much but I painted the cockpit and wheel wells with Humbrol acrylic 116.

I hope this one goes well....?

Michael modeller 48

I have the body and wing together. (I forgot to put seat/instrument panel onto the wings before installing them onto the fuselage). Oh Well.

Other than that the build is going well. The antenna and guns are molded into the parts (So I have to be careful not to break them off).

I have a few parts on the underside of the engine to put on but resisting handling the model before the glue dries.

Return to “Workbench Window”