Michael's Modellers Mucking About

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Michael modeller 48

Re: Michael's Modellers Mucking About

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Masking the canopy:

I add a new blade to cut out window masking.I found a red fine pen to mark out lines on tape and steel ruler to cut tape.

A lot of curve to this canopy will have to free hald cuts....

I had my eyes Lasiked but distance is fine but need reading glass for detail work.

Question: I overspray clear on my magnifying glass, any idea to polish off the lens to save my mag glass

***CementNot Glue suggested iso propyl alcohol*** I might have some, cheaper that buying new glasses.$$

While the clear is drying, I am watch NASCAR and posting. I may try to mask canopy

I am going to try to take my time, and use acrylic (so i can clean up any mess after the paint dry with sharpened sprue.
Michael modeller 48

Step: Masking Canopy.

It when OK. will have to see how the paint turns out after...here hoping. Watching Tora! Tora! Tora. Might watch Midway later.

Cooking pasta and reheat beef sauce....no snacks :sad: or beer :shock:
Michael modeller 48

Step: Painting Canopy and installing Pilot

I use acrilyic for this:

I just add a second coat to canopy at 7:30 MTN time. Going to clear after watching Nova Easter Inland.

I had to "amputate" the pilot's feet to install him and I used super glue on his unpainted seat.

I think i see a crack on the front of this canopy.

I will use my testor Clear part glue or my "gel" super glue.

Question: is my Testor's clear glue a PVA glue?

Michael modeller 48

I clean off clear coat over spray off my magnifying glasses! It worked.

Michael modeller 48

Step: Clear coat of plane.

I cleared the canopy hoping the paint job will turn out alright. Fingers crossed. Also the plane body (with pilot not pictured) and small parts off

the plane. Will wait 30-45 minutes to remove homemade masking to check. I have sharped a sprue in case I need to clean up the lines.

Back to Nova Easter Inland
Michael modeller 48

:party Step: Final assembly.

Took off masking, next time i will prime :oops: before using acrylic for my canopy! Glue on canopy with clear part glue.

Final step: decals

Will decal tommorow...watching more Nova... wish I have a Maduro cigar and shot of scotch. :-D

TORA! TORA! TORA!

Image :grin:
Michael modeller 48

Next Build P-51 Mustang

I wish model land had the red tails mustang. One day it will be in my stash.

:pilot: :partytime:
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice work Michael.

Nigel
Michael modeller 48

Thanks Nigel,

I took my time on this one....no blitz stress...

it was fun working on this one...

Michael modeller 48

I pick up a white and light blue paper to take photo. I also bought AA batteries for my camera. I can't find my cheap mini tripod and could not find them except

$50 dollar ones at staples. Got caught in rain storm....think I'll do decal tomorrow...might need a nap!

The Great Auk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by The Great Auk »

That's some great work, Michael!

I really like the look of your Zero and I look forward to seeing you tackle that P-51!

The Great Auk
Michael modeller 48

Thank The Great Auk, I did pretty good on it, I took my time on this one. I need to prime my canopy...

Need to decal on Zero....

I need to look over the instruction/box/sprues the p-51 and see if i want to use Mike's Grant decal theme.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I haven't been on for a week or so and therefore I've missed the action in this thread, Michael and it's a belated welcome to the forum from me. The new tool Zero and P-51 kits from Airfix that you are building here are highly rated by other members who have built them (I have yet to build either) and you are doing some great work. Personally in 1/72nd scale I hand paint canopy frames and then correct any paint irregularities with a wooden cocktail stick/tooth pick once the paint is dry. I find fiddling about with masking tape on small scale canopies too much of a chore! In larger scales such as 1/48th however I will mask as I find it easier and I feel in the larger scales it is more difficult to get away with brush painted frames as I'm not the world's best brush painter (I airbrush almost everything apart from fine details). Just my personal choice of course!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Michael modeller 48

Hi Shawn,

Thanks Shawn and hello....

Thanks, I saw a you tube Owen's Quickkits (airfix) video on hand painting canopies he suggest acrylics and sharped sprue! My mistake was not to

prime before using "gift set" acrylics (never the best results) so far. I should have use enamels for this canopy. As my time taken to masking did ok

better than my Cosair. I do not have a very steady hand for canopy frame's. I wanted to mask and clean up with sharped sprue as well.

I highly recommend the gift set of this ZERO! Paint glue and brush and great kit! $20 bucks CAN It is very good build. OH this is a new tooling.

The P-51 looks good but have not open the box yet. I want the see the Cartography decals and instruction. My zero decals still to go.....

I do not have a air brush yet....Migrant suggested a $50 dual action brush....need to see if my pancake compressor has the right pressure and see about

fittings and hoses.... If can upgrade for 50 to 60 buck i will do it. But right now I just have testor and humbrol enamels....no tamiya acrylics yet.

How are your building going?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

My modelling has ground to a halt at the moment, Michael as there has been plenty of work for me to do around the house and garden following our recent holidays. I hope to restart modelling very soon. I currently use a Badger 100 double action airbrush and Aztec compressor combination that I've owned for about 20 years or so. I never managed to achieve a finish that I was fully happy with by using a paint brush, which started me on the road to airbrushing. I quickly adapted to the disciplines of airbrushing and managed to achieve a much better finish than I ever had with a brush although I hasten to add that my models are not in the competition winning category! Now my brush painting is restricted to detail stuff like cockpit interiors, wheels and touch up work. Paint wise I tend to favour Humbrol and Revell enamels and Tamiya acrylics, thinning the enamels with cheap hardware store white spirits and the acrylic with Tamiya's own X-20 thinners.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”