Michael's Modellers Mucking About

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Michael modeller 48

Michael's Modellers Mucking About

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Michael modeller 48

Re: Michael's Modellers Mucking About

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Excellent title and posting
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Michael modeller 48

Thank Jeff,

The title is from the Rock opera "Tommy" it sound apropos.

I will add comments later...
Michael modeller 48

Michael's First Zero build

I like Airfix gift set. I comes with brush paint and glue.

Airfix's decal from Cartogragh are excellent and go on well from past kits I have done.

First i am going to wash this well formed kit in three spruce and one clear.

I mainly use humbrol and testor enamel paints and tamiya glue. So I will just use Humbrol 90 for the canopy. (as acrylics you can

clean up any mess) and 90 coal black for the backside of the props and engine cowling for accuracy as I just have Testor flat black.

The kit calls for Humbrol 11 silver/aluminum , 29 dark earth, 85 coal black, 90 beige green.

I have 29 and 90 and going to use Testor's flat black, Aluminum, Cream/Flesh (pilot) and Rubber(Wheels)

The paint/decal guide is well laid out and read.

Wish me luck I am going to need it

Michael modeller 48

Step 1: Cockpit: glued seat to cockpit panel and painted 90 beige green also attach rudder to floor board and paint/gloss for

decals on instrument panel (IP)

Michael modeller 48

Step 1 continued:

Cockpit piece paint/glossed, waiting till dries and apply decals to IP and then assembly cockpit.

Paint the interior colour of cockpit (90 humbrol) and headrest (29 humbrol) (acrylic) (i add later as i did not see this until later).

Step 5: Skip ahead and painted engine parts (85 Humbrol Coal black) (acrylic) and glue two part together.

Step 6: Painting engine cylinders, will glue together after (90 humbrol coal black) dries.

Michael modeller 48

Step 7 and 8: I have prep the parts in this steps with paint but i will not glue on until i glue/paint the main body of the plane for easy of paint since it

one colour camo. I am not sure this 90 Humbrol beige green is dark enough to be accurate however Airfix recommend this paint.

Michael modeller 48

I when to Michael's to pick alligator clips to hold/paint small parts.

I put the three small decals on to IP and cleared it.

I attach cockpit panels together.

I gel super glued the cockpit assembly to the fuselage halve. (i added the IP to cockpit).

I glued the fuselage halves together with tamiya glue and held them till glue sets.

Step 9: Gluing main wings together.

Step 10: Gluing tail wings Stabilizers and tail fin on.

Step 11: Gluing fuselage and wings and masked them to prevent gap in wings and fuselage. (Fit was excellent).

Prep for painting body. I am waiting for everything to set before sanding seam. Also since the pilot is not painted yet and canopy is not masked

and painted, i will put paper in cockpit to prevent overpaint.

I took me 20-30 minutes to update, so i will check to see if every thing is set to then start sanding. May paint tomorrow....need to check if want to

attach landing gear and small parts before or after painting. I want to use my enamel for the body as i used acrylics for cockpit and engines.

Since enamel take 24 hours to full cure i will use the time to paint/glue pilot, landing gear and canopy.
gnomemeansgnome
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

You've got quite a production line going on there, Michael. Well done. That Zero looks like a very nice kit.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Michael modeller 48

Hi Gnomemeansgnome,

Yes, it is nice kit. I am trying to take my time on this one. Only one Duh!! so far.

I just finished prep work for paint and first thin coat of paint.

Was about to post more build pictures. As i am in a 24 hour flyover waiting for paint to dry. Tommorow nascar/Stampeders and paint landing gear/tires/pilot

and try to mask canopy and paint. I need parafilm or eduard mask kit!
gnomemeansgnome
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Nah, you don't need masks. Tamiya 5mm yellow tape, a pair of tweezers and a pair of scissors and most especially a pair of uncaffeinated hands. It works, as our British friends here like to say 'a treat'. I have usually found masking canopies a great zone to get into. Leave them on till after wax and/or dull cote. You can't go wrong.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Michael modeller 48

I have try making mask out of my 5mm taimya tape. I saw video show apply tape/mark lines with pencil/cut shape with knives/twezzers and apply and paint.

I have tried, i need practice cutting and marking out canopy lines. Last build too much paint/major paint bleed and it was enamal! Duh!

And I like my coffee strong, or very steady hands. I saw video on youtube Owen from Quickkit Airfix suggest painting with acrylics and you can clean up mess

with sharped sprue.

I will try making masking canopy out of my tape more and maybe with practice i will get better at it. I dislike masking canopy and painting them.

My two 109's fared better, I used eduard masking kits on them painted/matted no problem. Going to use acrylics for canopy lines when I try to make

a half decent canopy masking. Migrant use parafilm so i thought i would try it...

I dislike canopy masking and painting them. One thing I am not good at. I do not have very steady hand to free hand it. OK with twezzering on the pre-made stuff, just

knife an edge and rub on with a toothpick or paint handle. I just have kitchen scissors not sharp or fine.
Michael modeller 48

I just had to tight the bond of the stabilizers and tail fin and put a bit of tamiya extra thin. Other than that the plane set will.

I now did Step 5, snap in well, minor adjustment set well and more extra thin

Sanded seam and dries glue that squeezed out in tail and apply cotton ball into canopy to protect paint job.

I painted a very thin coat of paint. I will wait for 24 hours until final coat.

Michael modeller 48

Step 11 to 17: While plane's paint is drying, I will prep/paint landing gear/ pilot and canopy

I did not cut out the slot for the drop tank before attaching wing to fuselage. I may take the "wimp" option and landing gear up but did not drill holes

for stand. Did not have 2 mm for my pin drill.

Wimp option:

Step 12 is out did not cut slot for drop tank. Step 13, 14 and 15 installing the landing gear.

The front of the prop is to be painted Aluminum and backside Coal black as far as the paint guide states.

I may do the decal before putting on prop/canopy/pilot and small parts. I have trouble painting the pilot and canopy lines. practice practice practice

Tora! Tora! Tora! is on TV Whole bunch of Zeros and p-40 and few B-17

Here are the remaining parts for the final steps:

This are the option step parts: the drop tank, wheels up and wing tip folded. Wish i try to cut slot for drop tank.

Paint guide say to paint the prop the front Aluminum and back Coal black. Is this accurate for the zero??

Return to “Workbench Window”