Michael's Modellers Mucking About

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Michael modeller 48

Re: Michael's Modellers Mucking About

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Silver Screen Classics is playing Flying Tigers starring John Wayne and the p-40

Michael modeller 48

I add the engine intake? I painted the bottom of the wheel wells before gluing the wing together

Luckily there is one two minor spot of glue to be sanded. Need to remember to sand seams...

The forgotten cockpit:

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

P40 is shaping up nicely.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

good looking progress Michael
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Michael modeller 48

Thanks guys

I notice in the movie Flying Tigers that some shot show p-40 with guns? on top of the engine cowling and some without this?

Does anyone know what this variant is this? Does it look like two guns? on either side and something in the middle running the length of the engine?

But then I saw some shots without these features?

This model has this feature!
VMA131Marine
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by VMA131Marine »

Michael modeller 48 wrote:Thanks guys

I notice in the movie Flying Tigers that some shot show p-40 with guns? on top of the engine cowling and some without this?

Does anyone know what this variant is this? Does it look like two guns? on either side and something in the middle running the length of the engine?

But then I saw some shots without these features?

This model has this feature!
According to Wikipedia, the flying sequences in the movie were recreated using P-40F's borrowed from Curtiss because there was a prohibition on active military aircraft being used in commercial entertainment films. All flying sequences with P-40B's were done with models and ground shots were done with non-flying "replicas" (I think that term applies very loosely) powered by V-8 engines so they could taxy.
WIP Hasegawa 1/72 Yak-3, Hasegawa 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, Hasegawa 1/72 J2M3 Raiden, Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito NF.2, Airfix 1/48 Mosquito NF.30
Last kit completed: Hasegawa 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3
Michael modeller 48

Thanks for behind the scene movie trivia. And variant types

So I guess mine is a "B"! (I found my glasses)

Am I right to think that the middle is an air cooler and guns on either side?

I notice a gap which i need to fill. (I do not have any putty yet. I think i am going to buy some Tamiya putty). Some use Millput putty.

Since i never bought or used putty, i not sure which to use or buy. I guess there are a different types for different uses?
Michael modeller 48

I need to find my reading glasses!

I did not see you write F and B in your post! Sorry
jssel

Post by jssel »

You have got it. The Airfix kit is the correct P40 for the Flying Tigers. Keep up the great work.
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Yes Michael, the P-40 B/C had two .50 caliber machine guns over the engine and 2 .30 caliber guns in each wing. As you posted, the oil cooler goes between the guns. Later versions (E, F, M, N) had the nose guns removed from the upper engine cowling and they were added to the wings so the wing armament went from 4 .30 caliber guns to 6 .50 caliber guns. Hope this clarifies things a bit. It would explain why the planes are different in the movie.

BTW - I love the job you are doing here. I love the P-40 and I have yet to get the new Airfix kit so I'd appreciate your opinion on it once you finish this build.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
Michael modeller 48

Thanks, Guys, so it is an oil cooler I was close. I wanted to do a Flying Tiger as I saw a documentary on them.

Well PMmaker, it is a great kit fits together well and straightforward build. If you want a spinning prop you need to put on with a plug before the top engine

part. You may have noticed it slightly ajar with a slight gap (need to make sure it is fully aligned). Also if you use to cockpit installed on fuselage, not the

bottom of wing I forgot to do the cockpit before rushing to put wings on the body. I like how the 30 cal in the wings are part of the wing. I have

the trouble with small parts, however, you always run the risk of breaking them off during the build and handling. There is only one scheme to do from

the box but I want to do the most used decal for the p-40 the shark mouth. I almost forgot it has two holes to drill for an Airfix stand on the bottom

of the wing. I forgot the drill before installing wings.

Overall great kit to get. Go to the hobby store NOW haha!
Michael modeller 48

There is a spot for panels behind the cockpit however the kit use clear parts for these panels.

My question is do I paint the camo scheme and then add the clear parts or the clear parts to be painted in the camo scheme??

I add the headrest in the cockpit.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Check your thread in small talk Mike. I added a thought
Michael modeller 48

Thank Jeff, I do see lines down the middle of the clear parts.

Not know anything about p-40 why is glass over top solid panels?? I did not see that in Pearl Harbor movie.

What are these clear panels suppose to be or do?
jssel

Post by jssel »

The gloss coat facilitates decaling so they don’t silver. Once dry, you can flat coat the model. Then you can add clear parts.

Return to “Workbench Window”