Michael's Modellers Mucking About

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Michael modeller 48

Re: Michael's Modellers Mucking About

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

CLEAR:

I add a couple thin coat of Tamiya semi-gloss clear.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Coming together well, Michael. The decals will really bring it to life, the P-40 always looks good with a shark mouth :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Michael modeller 48

I just add a third coat of clear and it look like i see some blistering!!

I need to start this one again....or start the spit....
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

If you have IKEA over there, but one of their coffee frothers. Take the spring off and voila; an excellent paint stirrer but far cheaper than purpose made ones!
Just remember; DON'T take it out of the pot until after you switch it off....... don't ask me how I know this :oops: :shock:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Michael modeller 48

Sorry the "but" or "buy" threw me reading your post. You wanted to say BUY right?

Yes, I know spruce are cheaper, but it takes too long and my wrist get sore. I might need to get a egg timer. I rush stirring.

In all seriousness, I am not planning to buy a paint stirrer. (i might buy one after research it)

I watch a video review of one, they also mention a mess if left on out of the pot.

IKEA are everywhere....well for $6 Canadian buck over $22 buck I just might get a coffee frothier/paint stirrer

VS:

Michael modeller 48

Migrant believe he has a 1964 Airfix Short Sunderland for me.

Brand: Airfix
Title: Sunderland III
Number: 681
Scale: 1:72
Released: 1964
Type: Full kit
Includes: Plastic sprues, Waterslide decals, Clear parts

iggie

Post by iggie »

Michael modeller 48 wrote:Sorry the "but" or "buy" threw me reading your post. You wanted to say BUY right?

Yes, I know spruce are cheaper, but it takes too long and my wrist get sore. I might need to get a egg timer. I rush stirring.

In all seriousness, I am not planning to buy a paint stirrer. (i might buy one after research it)

I watch a video review of one, they also mention a mess if left on out of the pot.

IKEA are everywhere....well for $6 Canadian buck over $22 buck I just might get a coffee frothier/paint stirrer

VS:

Yep, that should have read 'buy' not 'but ' :grin:
The coffee frother will do just the same job, and certainly saves doing it by hand and makes a far better job of it.
Good luck with the flying porcupine; I built it some 40 years ago, it's big!!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
Michael modeller 48

I when out right away to IKEA. $5.24 with GST Bob is your uncle!

I do not know the Short Sunderland is nickname is a flying porcupine? Migrant will give to me in a week when get winter tires put on!

He say Tamiya White surface primer is good for underside.

What colour is the topside? Sea blue is my guess by latest box art?

Where is post a pic on the phone mobile site? I do not see. Someone said it was on phones too.

I mixed three paint tinlets in a flash! To test it out. It works! it spins a little fast of my taste.

$5.24 or $20 bucks for a badger paint mixer.

When to dollar store for rubbing alcohol to remove clear. Put in my supplies in case the need arises.
iggie

Post by iggie »

According to a quick look on Google, the top side should be Humbrol Slate Grey (31) and Dark Green (30) and White underside
Best wishes

Jim
Michael modeller 48

According to a quick look on Google, the top side should be Humbrol Slate Grey (31) and Dark Green (30) and White underside

The p-40 paint is blistering again...i am going to use my Humbrol gloss and matt clear instead of Tamiya spray clear.

I am sure i gave it a good 24 hours to cure. I have a couple tins.

I am tired of this one...i do not think i am going to strip it with oven cleaner and paint again.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Michael modeller 48 wrote:Thanks Dazzled, that is one nice p-40.

Yes I struggle with the thickness of my coats. I try to use in thin coats but fail (maybe i need to brush of the excess going from the pot?).

Also this kit suffered from paint blistering (a reaction of clear over uncured paint). So I try to recover the best i could.

I was told Humbrol could be used straight from the pot. I will pick up Humbrol thinner next model store raid....

Thanks for tips and advice. (i may need a paint stirrer, i do not stir enough).

Good call on the mixing Michael. I bought one of the Badger paint mixers a few years ago and it's one of the best tools I've ever bought.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Michael modeller 48

Dazzled,

Iggie suggested a ikea coffee/milk/paint frothier/mixer!

So I bought one. $5.24 dollars.

It mixes paint great! Too well in fact!

Spruce are cheap but an ikea milk frothier is better!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Michael, to give yourself the best chance of obtaining a decent finish, I think you need to stick to the basics to start with. When it comes to applying paint or clear coats I would reiterate my earlier advice to you - apply like over like. In other words, don't apply acrylic paint/clear coat such as Tamiya over oil based enamel paints such as Humbrol. Only apply the Tamiya clear coat over Tamiya paints and apply Humbrol clear coat over Humbrol paints. Yes, it is possible to mix, but to apply acrylic clear coat or paints over enamel paints requires the enamels to be fully cured and odour free which can take much longer than 24 hours. I would say make life easier for yourself and at this stage of your modelling career stick to like over like. Make sure that the paints and clear coats are thoroughly mixed - I see you are now equipped for that! - thin them if necessary to get nice smooth coats and apply to clean, debris free surfaces. Modelling is not a race so try not to rush and that applies to your assembly of a kit as well.

It is a nice gesture of Migrant to donate that Sunderland to you but be aware that it is a very old kit (nearly as old as me in fact :ha: ), it might well not be the easiest to assemble and will probably need a bit of attention with filler and sanding! It's up to you of course, but it might be better at this stage to stick to newer kits of relatively easy single-engine fighters until you manage to get some consistency in your assembly and painting.

Good luck with your next project and keep posting on here so we can follow your progress.

IPMS#12300
Michael modeller 48

Thanks Shawn,

Yes I did decide to use my humbrol clears I am sure I have matt and gloss tins. Just have to brush them than spray.

I plan to do my Spit Mk 1a as I build two with better results than this P-40!

I might buy some paper for a cleaner surface to paint on than my mat too!

Yes, solved the mixing problem!

I think I will free hand the camo I had better results with that than blu tac masking.

Yes I am aware the vintage of the kit. Nothing invested so good practice kit. And if I mess up oh well!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Onwards and upwards, Michael. I'm not generally one for sticking my nose in and giving a lot of advice but I don't want to see anyone who hasn't been doing the hobby as long as I have getting off on the wrong foot and maybe being put off because stuff isn't working and they don't know why - most of us more experienced modellers have been there at one time or another and often before the days of the internet giving access to useful forums such as this. Man, I've made plenty of mistakes with models and occasionally it still goes wrong even after all these years :grin:

IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”