Shaun's Bodging Bench * replaced for 2018*

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Shaun's Bodging Bench * replaced for 2018*

Post by ShaunW »

As I've been on here for a month or so, I thought it was time to post some pics. First up is a general overview of the bench with my current build, rising Phoenix-like from the dust, the old Hasegawa F100D in 1/72 which I am attempting to finish in natural metal. This model has been sitting on its cocktail sticks awaiting paint since the spring of 2000!

Here a some recent builds, all completed over the last 18 months or so

and just to show that it's not all military stuff

Regards

Shaun.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Shaun's Bodging Bench

Post by jssel »

Really good stuff on the bench. I like the Hun in that bare metal finish. How are you going to add the burn marks on the tail?

Keep up the great work.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thank you for your kind comments Jeff. As you know the scorched tail area is a major characteristic of the Hun and seems to occur with any machine that has spent more than 10 minutes with the burner on :) I think that I will initially mask up the rear end and spray on a darker shade of Humbrol Metalcote that I've got handy and then attempt a shading process with possibly Tamiya smoke and/or transparent orange. There are also a couple of other shades of "metal" to go on the main airframe. I have to admit that I usually avoid NMF's and go for the camo option and in the first instance I was going to finish this model in a SEAC scheme. However, I was recently inspired by one of the other guys on here who posted pics of a NMF P-51 so I went for a last minute change. The scorched tail end issue still exists with the camo Super Sabres however, so that challenge would remain in order to try and finish a convincing replica. If all fails I'll just re-spray and call it factory fresh!!

IPMS#12300
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Here's my attempt, done with The Hairy Stick;

This is how I did it;
http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic. ... 47&start=0;

For all your self-depreciation, you've clearly got some modelling talent and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

They all look great, but I particularly like the camo'd convertible top on the SdKfz ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thank you for your interest gents, you're very kind.

Bruce - I've had a quick look at your methadology for the F1OO and the finish is really excellent, looks very airbrushed! I am a poor hairy stick user myself, but I will have a go at the tail end using a similar technique as I like the effect that you've achieved.

John - the SDKFZ roof is the plastic top provided by Tamiya tuned up with several layers of tissue paper laid over half tubes of plastic stock to beef up the ribs underneath. The paint finish is basically earth brown followed by several washes of various oil paints and the camo effect is possibly caused by my less than David Bailey camera technique, which has also made the paint finish appear to be more glossy that it actually is :) I will post some further pics of it when I get the chance, together with the 88mm gun that I have also completed to go along with it. The holiday period is going to be busy with family stuff and work so I think further modelling activity will now be delayed until the new year.

Kind regards

Shaun.

IPMS#12300
johnsan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by johnsan »

If you don't mind a comment and a suggestion about your Hun.

Later Huns were normally sprayed a uniform aluminum lacquer. The suggestion - go with the darker metal shade for the engine area. A really easy way to replicate the heat damaged metal is to use Tamiya's Weather Master sets. These are waxy pastel sets. The color is applied with a sponge and are easily blended. The blue and browns work really well to show heat damaged metal.

Very nice models. What paints did you use on your Sea King?
Really nothing pithy to say.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Lovely to see a petite Caravelle among the more aggressive models!
Great work!

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Johnson and David, thanks for your interest.

Johnson - I don't mind suggestions or constructive criticism at all, that's how we improve. I will bear in mind your suggestion for the Hun when I resume modelling after the holidays. The Sea King was airbrushed free hand using my trusty old Badger 100 GXF and Revell enamels, which I decided to try instead of the Humbrol paints that I usually use. I found the Revell stuff to be really good and the PZH 2000 SPG in the pics is also finished in Revell enamels.

David - I like to build the occasional airliner as a change from military hardware and and I find that they present their own challenges, normally in the form of trying to achieve a decent white finish. This model is perhaps not quite as petite as you might imagine as it has been built from the old Revell kit in 1/100 scale and the wingspan is such that it only just fits in my display cabinet! I found this to be a fine old kit with few issues and the decals were really nice to apply.

Right I'm off to my in laws for Christmas lunch and then I have a busy schedule for the rest of the period. I might not be able to get on here much if at all before the start of January and I'm itching to get on with my Hun!!

All the best.

Shaun.

IPMS#12300
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Great stuff from your bench Shaun, look forward to seeing some more.

‘Over 6,000 Halifax Bombers of various versions were built between 1941 and 1945. The Mark VII, with the Bristol Hercules radial engines, was a no-nonsense design with no unnecessary baggage. Though often severely damaged by flak and night fighters it would still bring its crew home.
Flight Lieutenant H. Dal Bracken DFC RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force)

A:B
2011 11:10 2009 19:16
2010 44:12 2008 16:03

Overall 173:46
broadside
Active Participant

Post by broadside »

I think you have mis-named your bench, nothing looks bodged to me!
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

broadside wrote:I think you have mis-named your bench, nothing looks bodged to me!
Yeah...just wait until he get's the hang of it!

Regards,
Bruce
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This thread took a bit of finding! As it's Saturday, time for some modelling and on with the Big Boeing build. For those of you who don't have a clue what I'm talking about, this is the continuation and hopefully eventual completion of, my Heller 747-200 that I failed to finish for the recent four or more engined group build. Welcome then to my world of stretching sprue and attempting to paint very large airliner models gloss white. So far, this model has consumed one bottle of Tamiya matt white and three bottles of gloss, applied in several thin coats with a micromesh flatting off/sanding cycle between each coat. Patience is a virtue with applying gloss white on this scale, I can tell you! I know I could have tried a rattle can but I'm not that keen on them and have never achieved a good result unlike some of the members on here. That said, after this saga I might give a rc a try the next time I have to apply gloss white - never say never :grin: This afternoon has been once again spent in a haze of acrylic paint fumes (yes I do wear a decent mask) but at last though it is now looking uniformally white rather than somewhat patchy.

Here's the left hand side

and the right from just off head on

Those of you who have been following this saga will recall my repair of sanded out raised panel lines with stretched sprue. I hope this next shot gives you an idea as to how those repairs have faired under the paint. The sprue has been sanded down two or three times since it was fitted as I thought it was too prominent. I am reasonably happy with it now and I feel it is certainly an improvement over panel lines ending halfway up the fuselage.

I'm going to give the white a rest tomorrow and turn my attention to the wings and tailplanes (I don't want you all to die of boredom watching my fuselage steadily becoming more white :grin: ). To assist with holding and manoevering these pieces I have temporarily fitted them together with decorater's masking tape and Tamiya tape. The card stiffened with old sprue attached to the wing joint is to counteract their tendancy to pitch backwards so that when painted I can rest them on a couple of jars whilst the paint dries, as shown.

I have joined the tailplanes in a similar fashion using spare sprue from the kit itself

The colours for the wings and tailplanes have caused me some considerable hassle. I have looked for ages during this build on the interweb thingy but cannot find any brilliant images for this model of 747 in Air France livery. Heller helpfully suggest light grey and I think I will probably go for an undercoat of light aircraft grey followed by a top coat of Light Gull Grey for the outer panels and a darker grey (not decided on the shade yet) for the inner panels. In the absence of proper references I will have to use the ever reliable TLAR System (That Looks About Right!). The leading edges will be natural metal. Time for some beers and a curry now I think.

As always, thanks for your time.

IPMS#12300
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Now that is clever idea, Shaun.

Cheers
Jim
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

I do like your Tlar system - something I use very often but never knew it had a name. Very nice rep on the panel lines.
running at the edge of their world

Return to “Workbench Window”