Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
November 14th, 2017, 1:48 am
The black basing seems to be working really well on the M8. Whats your ultimate plan for the finish?
November 14th, 2017, 3:42 am
That is nice weathering on the greyhound and nice panel lines on the f-16
November 18th, 2017, 9:26 pm
Construction and decaling finished:
I damaged the star on the front hull and had to take this from a Sherman kit, it should be a star inside a full circle not a broken one. But I won't mention it if you lot don't.
There was another three part circled star for the engine deck, but it was a nightmare to position and align, so it was scrapped. I'll just add some stowage to cover the area.
Stowage and weathering next.
SoftScience, I don't plan on any heavy weathering, maybe I'll add a small diorama base and use the kit figure.
November 18th, 2017, 10:34 pm
If you did not say I would not have know about the star.
It happens, it is looking real good. A friend kid is doing a kit
November 19th, 2017, 4:51 am
Beautifully done Paddy.
November 19th, 2017, 10:15 pm
A bit of a set back while weathering.
The decals reacted with the thinner
This was the first time I used Humbrol thinners, usually its just good old DIY store thinners. Not sure if it had anything to do with it.
I tried recoating them with Klear but it made no difference.
So I'll just have to sand them off, touch up the paint and go with different set.
Funny thing is, the front star from the Sherman kit wasn't affected.
November 19th, 2017, 10:37 pm
I made a start on this tonight.
There's a fair bit of plastic to get through:
The suspension bogies come with real springs and actually works:
Clean up of the parts is minimal and the fit is very good. This is where I got to tonight. The wheels come with separate rubber tires, which means painting the wheels and bogies separately, then adding the tires.
November 19th, 2017, 10:39 pm
Why am i unable to see the images?
Update: Before it just said Image, i see the photos now. Just a bug....
November 19th, 2017, 11:03 pm
Michael modeller 48 wrote:Why am i unable to see the images?
Not sure. I haven't done anything different.
November 19th, 2017, 11:07 pm
Not good news on the silvering!
I do like the look of the Centurion, it'll be interesting to watch this progress
November 20th, 2017, 4:01 pm
oh no! Sorry to see decals go bananas. The model was looking really good too.
Looks like that humbroll garbage dissolved the decal adhesive.
November 20th, 2017, 4:37 pm
What a shame about those decals. It was looking like a real stunner I'm sure you will fettle it.
You do seem to get plenty of parts with that Centurion! That would be a years worth of modelling for me.
November 20th, 2017, 4:37 pm
That's a real shame re the Greyhound decals, Paddy and hopefully the restoration won't take too long. I've never used Humbrol thinners either and have always used cheapo DIY store white spirit to thin enamels and/or artist's oil paints to make washes. I know from my own experience in weathering military models that sometimes thinners in washes can accentuate the decal film a little but I've never seen it happen to that extent. Maybe the Humbrol stuff is a little "hot"?
AFV Club make some really nice armour kits and that Sho't Kal certainly looks to be excellent.
November 20th, 2017, 11:19 pm
Softscience, you've hit the nail on the head. It does seem like the decals lost their adhesive. Thing is they were well sealed in with Klear.
OldTonto, you're right about the parts count, this could take a while!
Shaun I think I'll go back to the cheapo thinners.
Moving on with the Shot Kal.
Things that other kits have as single pieces, come in five parts here!
The spare track holder is two pieces and has to be carefully joined:
The spare track itself is molded in a different type of plastic and its beautifully detailed, only problem is, all the beautiful detail can't be seen when installed but instead the side with the ejector pin marks faces out!!!
I'm not actually complaining as its a fantastic kit. The detail in the parts is outstanding. An example is the sprocket casing. The cast texture is amazing:
This is where I've got to tonight:
As far as the Greyhound goes, I've removed the decals and fixed up the paint. I'll let it dry thoroughly then start the gloss coating again.
November 25th, 2017, 11:26 pm
As it stands tonight:
I've added the rear deck, air filters on the fenders, the ERA blocks on the fenders as well as an array of other tiny bits.
The detail is excellent, although I'm not sure it will all stay in place to the end of the build, as I'm sure to knock it off again.
Case in point, is the cable guides/holders. very thin plastic that looks great, but is destined for the carpet monster :whistle
The small PE fret has the exhaust covers, which look fantastic:
One thing I don't like about this build are the instructions. They can be a bit vague on parts placement. I need to go and do a bit of research on some small details on the rear deck.
I've sent for these from FOG models:
As for the Greyhound, its decals are finished and glossing done:
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.