59North going South

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

59North going South

Post by 59North »

I did have a workbench window before. Nothing ever got completed in it.
That's where I tried to build the big Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire XVI. That kit got to be a modelling mojo sucking vampire. It went back into its box half built, never to see daylight again. At least not for now. I don't like building big stuff.

Today, I have a few projects underway that are fun to build, and I mean to share my working progress in this window. Here they are:
A head on a pike, which I will prime tonight. It,s for the RAF 100 Anniversary gb.
The S-Model 1/72nd Dingo will be finished first as the kids get here tomorrow. They'll want to help me with it, and more.
Everyone needs a grandchild who knows how to use an airbrush. As it happens, I have an AZ 1/72 Chipmunk that requires that kind of work to be done. Some black and some orange need to be applied.
And, just because I despise waiting for paint to dry, I'm starting another one that has been staring me down.

I like the VA-97 scheme supplied, but, I'm going with the Indian head VA-87 scheme from an Xtradecal sheet. This is because I have an ongoing future plan for the Indian head motif on a grander scale.
[url=https://post%20images.org/]Image[/url]

Michael modeller 48

Re: 59North going South

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Looks like i nice kit the Corsair. I like the Indian head too!
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

That Corsair is a great kit (I really ought to finish mine) and goes together very well. Can't wait to see the finished Chipmunk. Just about my all time favourite aircraft.

All the best

Greg.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
59North

Post by 59North »

Gregers wrote: Can't wait to see the finished Chipmunk.
The little 'Chippy' received a bit of black anti-dazzle hood today. I'm hoping it doesn't take too long for the rest. Landing gear and prop are already painted. I want the later orange recognition patches put on, but, it depends what decals I can gather from the stash.
The Dingo got some dark yellow camo stripes. I'm looking for a small air recognition roundel to put on that hood. With the grand kids in mind, of course. It's a wiffer with backwards mud guards.
Just a little way to go, and then it will meet its end in play.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

A fascinating eclectic bench going on, and that Corsair is one I'll be watching with interest.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
59North

Post by 59North »

Thanks, PT. There does seems to be a wide variation of builds on the bench. For me, it's more enjoyable that way.
When I retired, I thought people would soon forget about me and let me alone. Nope; they keep calling. Now I'm doing a contract job that takes me away from my bench way more than I want.
So all I can manage is CA glueing one side of springs and wheels onto the Dingo at a time. Then when I return, everything is good and set.
All I was able to manage from the A-7 was a parts cleanup in preparation for the start:
That,s a Matchbox pilot sitting there. I might use him; or not.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Nice to see a range of builds in progress.

Having a range of builds in a variety of genres in progress at the same time, works well for me, as it means I dont get too stuck in a rut with builds that are all too much the same.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

A veritable feast for the eyes.

The Chippie is especially nice. I can't wait for the final reveal!

The Great Auk
59North

Post by 59North »

As you can tell by my output, I'm a little here, a little there kind of modeller. This pair of still unfinished models are coming along in the usual unstressed, leisurely fashion:

The Dingo is being finished for my grand-daughter. A whiffer with a single air recognition decal, so as not to waste the rest on a child's toy. It just adds a little colour. Still have dry brush and toning down to go.
After research through watching a utube video, these are all the Vallego colours employed in the 'eyes' attempt on Mr Churchill.

I'd like to briefly explain the process I learned via that video instruction.
1. Paint the eye whites with a light off-white colour. Here, a mix of light flesh/white.
2. Paint the pupils slightly larger than the final iris size. Gloss black.
3. Paint the iris, leaving a slight border of black pupil on the outside edge. Here, the iris is a mix of French blue and deep sky.
4. The pupil dot is repainted gloss black.
5. The upper eyelids are highlighted with a thin saddle brown/water pin wash.
6. The lower eyelids are pin washed with a very thinned brown rose/water mix.
That's the story.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

The large Churchill head on a stick beside the tiny Dingo looks like a still from a Monty Python sketch :lol: :lol:
Nice work on both of them BTW.
I'm really looking forward the A7 progressing. Its a type I really want to build, but never have.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
59North

Post by 59North »

PTB11 wrote:The large Churchill head on a stick beside the tiny Dingo looks like a still from a Monty Python sketch :lol: :lol:
Nice work on both of them BTW.
I'm really looking forward the A7 progressing. Its a type I really want to build, but never have.
Now that you mention it, I can see the Python resemblance. Guess I'll have to make a giant boot to stomp down and crush everything :lol: .
I'm waiting for some AM for the A-7 before I really get going on it.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Oh no! Not the giant boot! (Just saw that episode of the 'Best of...' choice of each Python, on Netflix....lots of giant boots!)
Great work!

David
59North

Post by 59North »

The giant boot better not! I really am trying to make a decent Mr Churchill.
I switched from acrylics to artist oil, and found it much easier to use and blend. The acrylic dried to quick.
On the other end, the oils take too long to dry. Perhaps a week.

I suppose this is the priority project, since it's a GB figure. I'm anxious to get the Chipmunk back on the road, though. Perhaps tomorrow.
59North

Post by 59North »

I really enjoy using artists oils on figures. They are quite easy to blend and leave a far warmer finish than do acrylics.
This morning, I was able to do some more blending, using the same palet of paint left over from yesterday. Photographs have a way of showing me where I'm messing up.

The skin colours are mixtures of Titanium White, Cadium Red, Burnt Sienna, and a little Lamp black here and there.
I'm almost satisfied, and will honor the rule, 'Less is More'.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Beautiful work with the oils.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II

Return to “Workbench Window”