Miguelito's untidy work bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Miguelito's untidy work bench

Post by mjatx »

PTB11 wrote:Excellent work with the hairy stick and the TIE is exquisite.
Thank you! Thank you!
Stuart wrote:Nice looking Spitfire that.
Thanks, Stuart. Trying to get it somewhat finished now.
Softscience wrote:Love that Tie fighter
I'm very happy with how it's turning out.

Well, I started weathering the Spitfire. I really want to be able to do a decent oil filtering/wash, so I decided to give it a go with the Italeri Spit. First I covered it in multi-colored measles.

Then I gave it a few swipes with some thinner....and it's basically right back where it started. :roll:

The photos kind of wash out the oil streaking, but I think I may have given it a stroke or two too many with the thinner and took a little too much of the oil paint off. Oh well, this one is more or less for me to practice with anyway. I finally added the pipes, and did a little dark panel wash on a few of the lines, and added some paint chipping.

Now, I'll let it sit for the night and hit it with a dull varnish in the morning. Then I plan on doing some chalk work and will hopefully finish it this weekend.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh man, you have really made a great job of that Italeri Spit, Mig.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

ShaunW wrote:Oh man, you have really made a great job of that Italeri Spit, Mig.
Thanks, Shaun.

I've finished the Spitfire. Spent some time today working with pigments and chalk to put the final touches on it.

Now, I just need to get the TIE interceptor done. Unfortunately, it's pretty cold today and I need to do some airbrushing on the TIE's base, but my paint bench is in the garage and I don't want to sit out there in the cold. Guess, I need to toughen up or maybe start another kit. :-D
iggie

Post by iggie »

That's a cracking looking Spitfire, the faded tones look spot on!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Finished the TIE Interceptor this morning before going to see The Last Jedi. Just had the base to finish. I tried to add a little pre-shading before airbrushing the base, but it didn't really turn out too well.

Then I applied a wash over the whole piece.

Then I went back in with a lighter grey and highlighted a few areas.

Then I attached it to the finished model. Overall, an awesome kit to work on and build. Looking forward to building a couple more out of the stash.

Two completions, in two days! I'm really on a roll.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Now, that I finished two, I'm adding two more to the bench. In keeping with the last two builds, I'll be going with something old, and something new.

First the old. Matchbox 1/76 Sd.Kfz 232 Armoured Radio Car. I really like these Matchbox kits that provide all the ingredients to build a nice little vignette.

The new kit will be Brengun's 1/72 A-36 Apache. I've built one, or two, Brengun kits before, and they're pretty nicely detailed, with some photo-etch and resin usually included.

We'll see how much progress I can make during the holidays.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great work with the TIE, Mig, that really has turned out very well. Matchbox military vehicle kits consistently trump their Airfix counterparts IMHO and that early war six-wheeler is a great subject choice.

IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

ShaunW wrote:Great work with the TIE, Mig, that really has turned out very well. Matchbox military vehicle kits consistently trump their Airfix counterparts IMHO and that early war six-wheeler is a great subject choice.
Thanks, Shaun.

IMHO all Airfix really needs to do is replace the vinyl/rubberband tracks for plastic link & length ones. The Airfix AFV kits I've built haven't been bad, except when you get to the tracks, which are horrible. Still, Matchbox putting in some diorama/vignette pieces/figures always bumps them to the top of the list for me.
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy work on show.I will follow the Matchbox build with interest.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Between the holidays and work, I haven't had much time to spend at the workbench and even less time to post any updates. Fortunately, there aren't too many updates to post. I've started the Brengun 1/72 A-36. It has a nicely detailed cockpit that went together with relative ease. The interior of the fuselage doesn't have any sidewall details. Instead, the side walls are separate and you build the office (in this case, literally a cubicle office) and attach it to the interior of the fuselage. I wasn't sure how that was going to work out, but it wasn't too bad and provides some nice details.

Some work is going to be needed to clean up the seam around the fuselage, and the plastic is very thin, so I may end up losing some of the nice surface detail, but we'll see how it goes.

I've also done a bit on the 1/76 Matchbox Sd Kfz 232. The main chassis is built, but I need to clean up the seams before I start adding fenders and other parts.

The background for the vignette/diorama is coming along too. I added some additional rubble to the scene, and then primed it.

Marek

Post by Marek »

The matchbox kit brings good memories from my kidtimes :). The brengun Apache is shaping up really good too.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Marek wrote:The matchbox kit brings good memories from my kidtimes :). The brengun Apache is shaping up really good too.
Thanks, Marek! Unfortunately, the Brengun kit is really causing a fuss with the wing assembly. I managed to get them together and get the dihedral relatively close, but it required a significant amount of sanding and fiddling. Now that it's attached, I've got even more work to do to clean up the joints.

I've managed to get the Matchbox kit together and ready for some painting. It was a little fussy to work with, but in an enjoyable way, especially when compared to the Brengun kit.

The kit comes with 2 figures. One in the standard "pointing" stance that seems to be fairly common for kits from this time frame. The other, is of an officer looking relatively clueless. Still their fairly well detailed, and I'm planning on adding them to the vignette.

Unfortunately, they got a little shorted when the plastic was being poured. Oh well, I'll see if I can fix it enough, or maybe I'll just have them standing against the wall.

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

That Brengun A-36 looks like a very neat moulding, apart from the dihedral problems.
Good work!

David
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

The Brengun is moving along very slowly. Still filling and cleaning seams. The Matchbox 232 is moving along just a little more. I was able to get the base colors onto the vignette and AFV. I need to do some highlighting and more weathering to the street scene, but here's how it looks at the moment.

Hope to get a little more work done on the Apache and to post an update later this week.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent work, Mig, I really like the look of those early German 6-wheeled armoured cars and Matchbox provided a great display base for it.

IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”