Miguelito's untidy work bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Miguelito's untidy work bench

Post by mjatx »

Following the Photobucket mess, I basically stopped contributing to "Miguelito's shiny work bench". I've still been lurking around the site watching builds and seeing the nice work going on here, but haven't contributed in any way.

Needless to say, when nobody is looking the shiny work bench I used to have, has fallen into disarray.

Here's how the work bench looked when I first joined the group in 2014.

So clean! So bright! Yoda keeping careful watch while providing steady guidance and advice. Look at all of those nice kits stacked so carefully, even a few 1/72 planes in process.

A couple years later, and here's where we were.

Still fairly organized, still very neat. A 1/48 scale plane now rests on the WIP line, my cutting matt shows the wear and tear of a few mishaps, and Darth Vader is starting to make his presence felt as the area grows slightly darker

Now...as of last night.

Dark, cluttered, littered with figures, kits, parts and tools everywhere. The once clean, organized and productive workbench is now a mess. The only explanation has to be that I stopped posting here.

To correct the errors of my ways, I have created this new workbench. With your help, I hope to be able to bring my workbench back, or at least close, to it's former glory.
iggie

Re: Miguelito's untidy work bench

Post by iggie »

Looking forward to seeing some new builds rising from the ashes of the untidy bench soon!!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Thanks, Iggie!

I've got a few builds that are at the ready-to-paint stage, but I think I'll hold off posting new photos until I can get a proper build started from step one.

Looking forward to it!
Mike
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That bench just looks nice and busy to me Mike, I see no problems. But then again, my own bench is almost a permanent bomb site so perhaps I'm not the best person to judge tidiness :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

I'd be proud of a mess like that. Makes mine look like total chaos :mrgreen:
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

ShaunW wrote:That bench just looks nice and busy to me Mike, I see no problems. But then again, my own bench is almost a permanent bomb site so perhaps I'm not the best person to judge tidiness :ha:
Thanks, Shaun. As the bench gets busier, my available work space gets smaller, until I'm fiddling with tiny bits of plastic at the very edge of the desk. :roll:
TobyC wrote:I'd be proud of a mess like that. Makes mine look like total chaos :mrgreen:
The ironic thing is that I've slowly been reducing the size of my stash, and it's currently at it's lowest point. You'd think the work space would get a little less chaotic.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

That's more like it 8-)
Folks with tidy benches never made nowt :twisted:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

I've reached the point where all of the current models I'm working on are in the painting phase. However, I'm in the mood tonight to glue some plastic together. Which means I'm also ready to get my "new" workbench window off the ground. So, after a quick look in the stash, I decided on something old, and something new.

First up, something old because I don't want it getting any older. Italeri's 1/72 Spitfire Mk Vb. I used most of the decals on other projects, but I think I can pull something together to do a North African plane. I've never built this one before, but it looks pretty straight-forward on the sprues.

For something new, I choose Bandai's 1/72 TIE Intercepter. Looks awesome!

I'm excited to start them both.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I'll be watching the Bandai build with interest; I've built four of their 'palm-sized Star Wars kits and one 1/72 X-wing so far and they are totally amazing from a quality and detail aspect!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Both builds started in the cockpit, and both cockpits were very well detailed. First up the Italeri Spirfire. I was pleasantly surprised to see a nice seat and supports, as well as, a pretty decent I/P.

All went together easily, and fit nicely into the fuselage. Everything is sealed up, and I'm moving onto the wings.

The Bandai TIE intercepter also has an excellent cockpit. The kit provides decals and stickers for various details on the ship. I choose to use stickers for inside the cockpit, since the end result will be nearly invisible when the build is done.

I painted the pilot figure, but the all black plastic part is basically the correct color for them. Still I dressed him a little differently, so he'd stand out.

So far, both kits are great to work with, but a word of caution for anyone that builds the Bandai kit. You're going to have to limit your test fitting. The snap-tite system Bandai uses makes it nearly impossible to test fit a part, and separate the parts easily. I nearly had to break a piece off to separate two pieces after a test fit.
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Nice and clean and well appointed cockpits...and pilots.

Two builds at once might clutter (sorry untidy) the workbench...again...your running a risk....haha
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Michael modeller 48 wrote:Nice and clean and well appointed cockpits...and pilots.

Two builds at once might clutter (sorry untidy) the workbench...again...your running a risk....haha
Thanks! My work space is definitely getting tight again. Luckily both builds are moving along fairly quickly.

The Italeri Spitfire has it's wings on now. The fit was less than desirable, but not the worst I've ever seen. You could either attach the front of the wings to the fuselage, the center of the wings to the fuselage, or the back of the wings to the fuselage, not any pair of those choices. I went with the front of the wing and now get to deal with fixing the sides, and rear of the wings. If it all fell right together it'd be boring, right?

Actually, come to find out, when everything fits together on the first try, it can be pretty fun too. The Bandai TIE interceptor is a DREAM to build. The parts are completely flash free, they fit together nearly perfectly, and the kit is incredibly well-engineered. The build of the TIE is complete, and now it's off to the paint shop to fall in line with the other kits sitting over there. May have to spend a bit of time out there over the next couple of days to knock down the back log.

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I would say your Theory of Posting is proving successful!
That Tie Fighter pilot is looking quite comfortable.

Cheers,

David
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Yes, the build are moving fast!

Now i want a star war model in my stash....

I try to tape the wing up to the fuselage....that what putty is for.....

It is great doing a well fitting kit is it....
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Nice to see you back. I like watching your work. Thats a near looking TIE

Return to “Workbench Window”