Miguelito's untidy work bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Miguelito's untidy work bench

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent work both on the armoured car and its base. Matchbox really came up trumps by including those bases with their kits.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by mjatx »

The Matchbox Sd Kfz 232 is complete. Not sure what was taking so long, all I had left to do was paint the figures and attach them to the base. Here are the figures painted.

Here's everything together. I really enjoy the Matchbox kits, whether they're the planes or the AFVs. Very fun to build. I don't remember ever seeing these as a kid though. I'll definitely keep checking the consignment shelves for more of these hidden gems. I know RoG has released some of the original Matchbox kits, but it's just not the same.

Now, to find a couple new kits to fill the bench, because it's not like I don't have a few sitting in the WIPs box I could work on.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Nicely done 8-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice work on those figures.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is a really excellent bit of small scale figure painting, Mig and the figures really finish that little Matchbox vignette perfectly. I'm a longstanding fan of Matchbox armour and indeed their armour/military vehicle kits are little gems. Praise be to Revell for continuing to release these kits as original MB releases are becoming more difficult to find and/or more expensive. Although the Revell releases are not usually in the old multi-coloured plastic (doesn't bother me as to be honest I was never a fan and I always paint models in any event) they do include the bases and figures of the original kits.

IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Thanks, Gents!

Now, that two are off the bench, two more are being added to it. In keeping with this new tradition, I have one older kit, and one newer one.

First, the old. Monogram's 1/48 FW-190. I've built this kit once before, and it was actually the first kit I completed when I came back to modeling as an adult. In fact, I've made it a point, that if I see this kit for sale in-person, I buy it. I picked this one up at the LHS on the consignment shelves for $5. It was state-of-the-art in 1965 when it was first released, and still builds into a decent looking kit today.

Next up, the new. Italeri's 1/56 Panther. I've built a few of these 28mm wargamming tanks in the past, and I really like that they are simple to build, but still come with excellent details.

Just 2 simple sprues, with nice details and not much flash.

These kits are so simple to build, that here's what about 45 minutes worth of work looks like. The tracks are provided in two pieces, a top and bottom, that fit over a single piece of all the road wheels. I had to build out the drive sprocket, but that was only 2 pieces too.

The the lower hull, with the option of an open driver's hatch, although a driver would have to be sourced elsewhere. Also, provided is a nicely detailed MG34.

Here's where I decided to stop for the evening. Maybe 20 minutes of work left on the turret and it'll be ready for priming/painting. The tracks and road wheels are just dry fitted in the pictures, since I'm planning on painting and detailing them separately.
iggie

Post by iggie »

The Tiger looks a great kit; as you say, plenty of detail but simple to build.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

I think I over-estimated when I said I had 20 minutes of work left. I don't think it even took that long. The Panther is build and ready for priming.

In fact, I finished it so quick, I decided to pull out the Monogram Butcher Bird. There are plenty of spare parts in the box, including a resin seat that I picked up somewhere along the line.

Rather than go with the regular Luftwaffe scheme, I decided to do a Romanian plane. I've had this sheet of 1/48 decals for a while and I'm finally getting the chance to use them.

The Panther and the Focke Wulf cockpit have been primed and are ready for next steps.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Italeri Panther is a great looking piece, Mig, with excellent detail including nicely rendered zimmerit.

IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Thanks, Shaun.

I decided to go with a 3-tone camo on the Panther. I saw some hard-edge camo examples on tanks from the Wiking Division in Poland, and decided to do a bit of a stylized version of those ones. Still a little bright, and I think the red is a bit too red, but hopefully, I'll be able to tone it down a bit with some weathering and filters.

It took about 5 times as much effort taping this off then it did to build the kit. At this point, I was just hoping I hadn't missed a spot.

As I said, I'm pretty happy with the result, but I hope I can tone down the red and bring out more of a brownish-red with some weathering and filtering.

Since this is intended for a wargaming setup, I'm not as concerned with getting this one too historically accurate.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice camo. Certainly breaks up the shape.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is a great looking scheme, Mig. Weathering will likely tone it down a bit if you still think it is a little bright - show it some mud and rain streaks :grin:

IPMS#12300
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

That is interesting camo scheme, nicely done
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I do like that scheme, a lot.

1/56 scale - that's new to me. I thought I was odd with my 1/48 scale armor. :)
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Thanks, Gents! The 1/56 scale is a wargaming scale, equivalent to 28mm. These are used primarily for Bolt Action games.

The Panther is complete. I don't like to weather the wargaming machines too much, just enough to pull out some details. After spraying the clear coating the model a number of times, with both gloss and matt, and some panel line wash and a very light over spray of Tamiya Buff, I'm finally satisfied with the red brown.

This one went together so quickly, I've all but ignored the FW-190. Now, I get to turn my attention to that kit and finish up the cockpit.

Return to “Workbench Window”